Brown MPH?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Citrinne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone -
I just heard from Brown's MPH program and I got in! I visited the school and liked it, but have doubts on attending a program rather than a school. Anyone have any thoughts on how big a difference it will make. My future goals are in International Health, and I do plan to get a DrPH (someday...) Thanks everyone. This Forum has been tremendously helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone -
I just heard from Brown's MPH program and I got in! I visited the school and liked it, but have doubts on attending a program rather than a school. Anyone have any thoughts on how big a difference it will make. My future goals are in International Health, and I do plan to get a DrPH (someday...) Thanks everyone. This Forum has been tremendously helpful!

Congrats, Citrinne! When did you submit your application?

I don't think it necessarily matters whether you attend a program or a school, if the program has strong opportunities for what you are interested in. For example, Dartmouth has an "institute" but not a school, but you would be hard-pressed to find a better school for health policy research. I have no idea what Brown's international health focus is like, but if it is good, then it is definitely worth considering!

I submitted January 1st. I haven't gotten anything in the mail, but I called to see when they were mailing decisions out and they gave me the good news! They don't have specific concentrations, it's all general , but they have good resources for summer field work and other students with similiar interests to mine like it, So I am excited!

Just waiting to hear from the Uwash. Then my deicion will be final...

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your concern about it being a program ?

I do not think there is any difference as far as prestige is concerned, especially from Brown University. However, I would be interested under what body this program falls under. Is the MPH through the school of medicine? graduate school of arts/sciences? or something else. This could be a source of significance.

Thanks.

Brown says that their MPH program spans both the University and the Medical School, I am assuming that the actual diploma would come from the university but I am not entirely sure. One of my questions was that the program is a general MPH. There is no specific focus. I can cater my studies towards my interests but there will be no specific concentration. I am hoping that by gaining intership expereince I can overcome this ( if you think it would pose a problem in the first place). Thanks Again

Congrats on your acceptance!

I also applied to Brown's MPH program, but I haven't heard anything yet.

In fact, it's my first choice due in large part because of the fact that there are no pre-determined concentrations or "tracks".

The opportunity to define your own course of study promotes independent thinking and development of a broad base of knowledge of different public health components.

I wouldn't view it as a detriment at all.

from your explanation and what I was able to appreciate from the Brown PH web site it sounds like an interesting program. I would not have any reservations about attending.

good luck

Thanks Everyone.

I know that they have not sent out their decisions yet, however if you call them they did not hesitate to give me their decision. In fact it wasn't really why I was calling. I am really excited about it...I think I am more nervous about moving across the country...again.Good luck to everyone!

For those considering Brown as a possible option for the Fall…I recently visited the school and was thoroughly impressed…so I thought that I would share my experience (incase it could be of any help):

Anyway, I set up a visit and I met one-on-one with three faculty (for a half an hour each), then I was taken out to lunch by two current students on behalf of the department. Here are some highlights:

* Brown offers an abundance of research opportunities.
- First, although you may not be awarded one initially, last year every student who wanted a research assistantship was able to get one. Not only does this offer great experience, but it covers 50-75% of tuition costs, plus a stipend.
- The public health building (which is brand new and state of the art) houses most of their major research centers. Students can apply for positions at each of these centers. These centers include the Center for Gerontology and Healthcare Research, the Center for Statistical Sciences, the Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies, the International Health Institute, the Center for Behavioral and Preventative Medicine, the Center for Population Health and Clinical Epidemiology, the Brown University AIDS Program, the Institute for Community Health Promotion, the Center for Primary Care and Prevention, the Center for Environmental Health and Technology, and many more…
- There are also opportunities to conduct your own research and many students are able to get their work published. This begins with your summer internship and the concluding poster presentation. More notably, during the Analytic Internship (which is a class), students are able to utilize a national survey database to collect data on any public health question of interest. Using STATA, students analyze their collected data and many students end up publishing their findings. Also, a thesis is required, and many students end up publishing these as well.

* The curriculum and courses offered seem very suitable for students with interests in social/behavioral health, community health, epidemiology, biostatistics, global health, and health policy. The only area that doesn't seem well-covered is health management/administration.
- There is a lot of freedom in the curriculum, so you can really explore your specific interests. Electives may be taken in any department.
- There is also a Community Scholars Program and a Global Scholars Program for students with those interests.
- There are many more faculty than I originally thought and the areas of interest cover a vast range of topics.

* Although this is currently a program, within the next year or two, Brown will establish a School of Public Health
- It was noted that based on their research and endowment, once a school is established, Brown would easily be ranked as one of the top Public Health schools (based on the way rankings are determined)

* The city itself seemed amazing, in terms of public health opportunities, culture, and social life
- The Brown campus is gorgeous and the city of Providence is very nice. The Brown area has a very traditional New England feel and is very Ivy-like. The Public Health building is brand new, also.
- The city is quite safe and seems fun
- Providence is filled with health opportunities in every area of public health and because Brown has the only public health program/School of Medicine in Rhode Island…they are connected to every hospital, research center, community organization, etc.

* Students come first!
- Very small class sizes
- Very small student to faculty ratio
- The students get to know faculty very well and build strong relationships with them
- The program seems to go out of its way to do what's best for students. For example, advisors work very closely with students to get them where they want to be (the student/advisor relationship is similar to the relationship that most PhD students have with their advisors, and each student has their own advisor who most closely matches his/her interests). Also, if students are interested in learning a certain skill or learning more about a certain subject, the department will host a training session or conduct a seminar in response

* Inexpensive
- Because almost every interested student eventually receives an assistantship, this cuts costs by 50-75%. Plus, you make a considerable amount from the stipend.
- If you don't want an assistantship, there are many decently paying health positions throughout the city.
- This city is cheaper (in terms of housing and food) than cities such as Boston and New York
- Student can apply for funding for international travel or for thesis funding

Anyway, I'll be attending in July. I am very excited! I've been out of school for a few years, so I can't wait to get back into the academic environment.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the program!!!

MPHMan,
I visited Brown this week and felt the exact same way. You summed it up very well.
TONS of opportunities, very student-oriented, and the students themselves love the program and said they couldn't imagine themselves anywhere else.

Congrats MPHMan2009!!!! I got an admit from Brown University. You were very informative about the University. Thanx for that. I am still confused as to which university to take but i guess your info has made it a little simpler.

* Although this is currently a program, within the next year or two, Brown will establish a School of Public Health
- It was noted that based on their research and endowment, once a school is established, Brown would easily be ranked as one of the top Public Health schools (based on the way rankings are determined)

Sorry to nit pick here, but the way public health schools are rated (in US News & World, anyway) is highly flawed. The only rating scheme is peer assessment. Especially at a school that is going to be establishing itself for the first time as its own entity compared to an established program, there's no way it'll rank "high" on that list in the first few years.

Besides, does it matter what the rankings are? Go to the school that is the right fit for you, that is all that matters.

Sorry to nit pick here, but the way public health schools are rated (in US News & World, anyway) is highly flawed. The only rating scheme is peer assessment. Especially at a school that is going to be establishing itself for the first time as its own entity compared to an established program, there's no way it'll rank "high" on that list in the first few years.

Besides, does it matter what the rankings are? Go to the school that is the right fit for you, that is all that matters.

I'm not going to start an argument here, but regardless, I will be attending Brown and I am very excited about their program. Clearly my choice had nothing to do with rankings (I don't think rankings mean all that much), but rather, I believe the school is a perfect fit for me.
If you read my post, I think I cited a lot of reasons as to why I chose the program. I was also accepted at Harvard (SM2), BU, Columbia, UMich, UCLA, and UMinn, but felt this program was best for my interests.
I just mentioned the future ranking to show that Brown is competitive with other programs.
:)

Last edited:
Hello,
This thread seems to be a bit old and I wanted your reviews on the current status of Brown. I have been accepted with a partial scholarship at Brown and at British Columbia, Canada. I am confused about which university to attend. Please give me your reviews about Brown . This thread has been very helpful. Thanks in advance.