Bryn Mawr 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMarkCraig

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

Just curious to know if anyone here has been granted an interview or rejected from Bryn Mawr thus far? I found out earlier today that I am under review - so the waiting game begins. I would not mind a little Pre-Thanksgiving interview trip to the Philly area.

Members don't see this ad.

hey, did you get an interview yet? Has anyone out there been accepted yet to BM for next year?

I just got an email inviting me to call and schedule an interview. I'm excited.....I'll be flying out to interview on December 19th! Good luck everyone! :):xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out I'll be going in for an interview on either Dec. 19, Jan. 12 or 23rd. For the 19th and 12th, they say classes will not be in session so no sitting in...

When did you have your application in? How long afterward were you contacted for an interview?

I got all my materials in a week or two ago; now the waiting game begins. Good luck to all those who have interviews and have yet to heard back! :)

What sort of stats are people applying with? I have a 3.39 cGPA and a 1240 SAT and am hesitant to waste $100 applying.

When did you have your application in? How long afterward were you contacted for an interview?

My application was complete the second week of December and I heard back that week. Will anyone else be at the interview on Jan 11th?

Congrats and good luck to all applicants! :)

Last edited:
What sort of stats are people applying with? I have a 3.39 cGPA and a 1240 SAT and am hesitant to waste $100 applying.

I looked at your post history and it looks like you have already taken the MCAT. Unfortunately you are not eligible to apply to Bryn Mawr or any of the other career-changer postbacs (Goucher, Mills, etc). You could contact them if you have only completed 1 or 2 pre-reqs, but I am assuming that you have taken more than that since you took the MCAT. You could do an SMP or an informal postbac?

I looked at your post history and it looks like you have already taken the MCAT. Unfortunately you are not eligible to apply to Bryn Mawr or any of the other career-changer postbacs (Goucher, Mills, etc). You could contact them if you have only completed 1 or 2 pre-reqs, but I am assuming that you have taken more than that since you took the MCAT. You could do an SMP or an informal postbac?

Actually I haven't. I was looking to the future to see how I would measure up based on expectations over the next year. Sorry to be misleading!

Good luck everyone! :)

Last edited:
Actually I haven't. I was looking to the future to see how I would measure up based on expectations over the next year. Sorry to be misleading!

Oh okay. Have you taken any science classes?

I had some medical research, quite a bit of volunteering, and above a 3.8gpa and 1300 SAT (out of 1600). If you haven't taken science pre-reqs, I would apply- especially if you have strong EC's, LORs, etc. Your stats seem a bit low for what I have read, but I think the application fee was only $50, so why not give it a shot?

Best of luck! :luck:

Last edited:
Good luck to everyone! I'm a current post-bac. Feel free to contact me if you have specific program questions. I love it here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay. Have you taken any science classes?

I had some medical research, quite a bit of volunteering, and above a 3.8gpa and 1300 SAT (out of 1600). If you haven't taken science pre-reqs, I would apply- especially if you have strong EC's, LORs, etc. Your stats seem a bit low for what I have read, but I think the application fee was only $50, so why not give it a shot?

Best of luck! :luck:

I appreciate the nudge, my friend. You're right - what can it hurt to apply?

People have definitely been accepted for 2012-2013. And from what I heard submission to acceptance took less than a month.

People have definitely been accepted for 2012-2013. And from what I heard submission to acceptance took less than a month.
I interviewed a few weeks ago. Do you know if they send acceptance/rejection notification via email or snail mail?

I have a question--are SAT's heavily weighed? I did awful on mine...I am taking my MCAT in January...I've heard GRE is an option but don't want to take another test while studying for the MCAT.

My gpa is a 3.3 and I have a solid app otherwise..

Bryn Mawr postbac will not accept you if you have taken the MCAT or most science PQs: "The [Bryn Mawr] postbac program is designed for individuals who have not taken the prerequisite science courses for admission to medical school. Although Bryn Mawr may consider a student who has completed one or two of the required science courses, you are not eligible for the program if you have completed all or a majority of these courses or if you have taken the MCAT."
http://www.brynmawr.edu/postbac/program_faq.shtml

Hi folks! I just got an acceptance call yesterday! :soexcited: I'm starting to think about apartments and such.....any advice from current students or thoughts from any soon-to-be classmates? I'm planning on starting summer quarter....is it hard to find a lease that starts in May? Should I just stay in the dorms for Summer Session I?

Good luck to everyone still waiting or still in the application/interview cycle! :xf::luck:

:) :) :)

Hi folks! I just got an acceptance call yesterday! :soexcited: I'm starting to think about apartments and such.....any advice from current students or thoughts from any soon-to-be classmates? I'm planning on starting summer quarter....is it hard to find a lease that starts in May? Should I just stay in the dorms for Summer Session I?

Good luck to everyone still waiting or still in the application/interview cycle! :xf::luck:

:) :) :)

Congratulations! Live with a summer starter, the Bryn Mawr office should give you access eventually to the blackboard system which has information on housing in the area as well as a board for roommate posts.

I am headed into Bryn Mawr for an interview next week, and would love if you could describe the interview day. What was asked of you? How did you prepare, and what do you wish you had known prior?

Thanks and congratulations. Hope to join you!

I am headed into Bryn Mawr for an interview next week, and would love if you could describe the interview day. What was asked of you? How did you prepare, and what do you wish you had known prior?

Thanks and congratulations. Hope to join you!

Congrats on your interview! The interview day was great. It was a very friendly atmosphere, and Jodi, the program director, immediately set the tone of the day when she said (to all of the 12 or so folks sitting up straight around the conference table attired in suits or business/business-casual attire), "Just so you know, there is no competition here. If you are all great candidates, we'll be happy to extend acceptances to all of you." It was a way different experience knowing that the other smart, accomplished people in that room were not my competitors, just my peers.

Structure of the day: information session with Jodi, lunch & tour with current students (this is a great time to ask the questions you were too shy to ask the director of the program...e.g. I asked "so how successful are your classmates in maintaining long-distance relationships? Lol!), and then interview (you may get to sit in on a class...they weren't in session on my interview day).

What I wish I'd known: I somehow didn't process/compute/realize that the interview was not just an interview but also an academic advising session. It actually threw me off how few interview questions I was asked before we just jumped into the nitty gritty of looking at my transcript and talking about what my schedule would look like if I were accepted. Questions I was asked: What led you to pursue medicine? What do you do when you volunteer? What do you like about your volunteering experience? I've taken just one quarter of bio and chem (on a quarter system where I'm from, not semester, so I'm not transferring any credits), and she also asked me if I liked my science classes. She closed the interview/advising session by asking if I had any questions for her.

What I did to prepare: I reviewed my personal statements the night before, so my passion and desire to go into medicine was present, and so that I knew what main points I'd want to emphasize for the "why medicine" question (just assume they will ask that). I planned everything out so I had minimal stress that day. Hung up my clothes the day before, planned to take the earlier train instead of the one that would get me there right on time (good thing too, because I missed the first train!!), and made sure I got a good nights sleep.

Bottom line is that I think they really want to get to know YOU. So do whatever you need to do to feel confident and relaxed so you can be yourself.

Hope that helps! Best of luck!

:)

Congratulations! Live with a summer starter, the Bryn Mawr office should give you access eventually to the blackboard system which has information on housing in the area as well as a board for roommate posts.

Great! Thanks for the advice! :)

Got an interview invite yesterday! Pretty pumped. Going in on February 6th. Anyone else on that day? And do we know what the turn around time for decisions is after the interview?

And (slightly) less importantly, where can I find a good place to watch the Super Bowl the night before? Flying in the day before, and my team is playing.

Good luck to everyone!

Got an interview invite yesterday! Pretty pumped. Going in on February 6th. Anyone else on that day? And do we know what the turn around time for decisions is after the interview?

And (slightly) less importantly, where can I find a good place to watch the Super Bowl the night before? Flying in the day before, and my team is playing.

Good luck to everyone!

Turn around time according to their website is 4-6 weeks. I interviewed 12/19 and got an acceptance call on 1/11. Good luck!

Has anyone from the 1/11 interview heard anything yet?

Thanks!

They are reviewing my app now.

What are the upcoming interview dates?

They are reviewing my app now.

What are the upcoming interview dates?

They seem to be interviewing every Monday and Wednesday. So for example, there are interviews tomorrow, next Monday, and next Wednesday.

And as to the number of spots left, according to the website it's "plenty." So take that for what it's worth.

I received an email from the program a week ago that stated they have "plenty" of spots left as well and that each application will be reviewed in it's entirety.​

I received an email from the program a week ago that stated they have "plenty" of spots left as well and that each application will be reviewed in it's entirety.​

Well that sounds like we're all in good shape. Good luck!

Thanks - you too i am assuming!

I just got rejected from Goucher (not even invited for an interview, which i was pretty shocked at with my stats), so i am hoping i get BM.

I just got rejected from Goucher (not even invited for an interview, which i was pretty shocked at with my stats), so i am hoping i get BM.
What were your numbers if you dont mind me asking? Also does anyone else have sample interview questions for Goucher and Bryn Mawr?

What were your numbers if you dont mind me asking? Also does anyone else have sample interview questions for Goucher and Bryn Mawr?

Check above posts in this thread. Lunicola has a great rundown of the interview day, including questions they were asked during their interview. I'll be up at BM this coming Monday, and I'll be happy to share my experiences afterwards.

I was just notified of an interview with BM in the coming weeks.

Does anyone know how many spots they have left?

I was also rejected from Goucher without an interview, and I have good stats, too. Fortunately for my ego/self-esteem, I received my rejection letter from Goucher after I was accepted to BM. So take comfort in knowing that your rejection from Goucher probably says nothing about your BM chances. My thought is that Goucher's small class size (30-ish) has something to do with the fact that they are turning down candidates with good stats.

Quick question to those who have been accepted to BM. If you are starting in the summer, what are the dates the program starts out of curiosity. Please let me know, thank you! :)

I was also rejected from Goucher without an interview, and I have good stats, too. Fortunately for my ego/self-esteem, I received my rejection letter from Goucher after I was accepted to BM. So take comfort in knowing that your rejection from Goucher probably says nothing about your BM chances. My thought is that Goucher's small class size (30-ish) has something to do with the fact that they are turning down candidates with good stats.

BM is my first choice and i have an interview in the next two weeks, so i hope it turns out.

When did you interview, and when did you hear back?

Quick question to those who have been accepted to BM. If you are starting in the summer, what are the dates the program starts out of curiosity. Please let me know, thank you! :)

The first day of class for the summer start is May 29th. :)

BM is my first choice and i have an interview in the next two weeks, so i hope it turns out.

When did you interview, and when did you hear back?

My interview was 12/19, I got an acceptance phone call on 1/11. I got my acceptance in the mail shortly thereafter. Good luck on your interview! :)

Just got back from the interview day at Bryn Mawr, and I absolutely fell in love with the program. As promised, I'll give a brief rundown of the interview day, and then give my overall impressions of the program.

General overview:

Information session (1.5 hours): The day started out at 9:30 with a group information session. There were 8 applicants there on my interview day, and Jodi (the program director, who is AMAZING), who led the information session. It was super informal, and was a mix of her telling us things about the program and some Q&A. Interesting things gleaned from the info session:

-The post-bacc courses, especially the Biology sequence, are especially tailored for the post baccs. They tend to focus on things more relevant to medical school, and go easy on the things that don’t matter as much. The Bio and Orgo sequences seem to cover a lot of Biochem, and past post baccs have found that the first year of medical school was easier as a result.
-Next year, all classes will take place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, leaving afternoons and all day Tuesday and Thursday for labs, volunteering, studying, and doing fun things (which they seem to actually do!)
-Another change for next year: they’re adding an evening course next year called the Practice of Medicine, which will be team-taught by two doctors working at Penn. The class will focus on health policy and medicine in the real world, and seems like it will be a great way to connect your work to the world of medicine.
-Jodi gave a great explanation of the pros vs. cons of fall/summer starts, which I’ll leave for people to hear when they interview

After that we went to class (1 hour) with two current post baccs, and had lunch with them afterwards. We ended up in an organic chemistry lecture, so half the class seemed like it was in a different language. Nonetheless, I actually really enjoyed class. The professor was really engaging, and the whole atmosphere was really good-natured. We had lunch with the two post baccs afterwards (sandwiches/salads from the student center, paid for by the program), which was interesting and laid back. Great way to get an insider’s perspective on the program. When asked to tell us something they didn’t like about the program, neither could think of anything (besides the large amounts of work, but what can you do).

Finished off with the interview (45 minutes). More of a conversation than an interview, there were really no surprises. I was asked about my motivation to pursue medicine, what experiences led me here (volunteering, shadowing, etc), what other qualities of mine I thought would be helpful, what difficulties I foresaw in becoming a doctor, etc. My interviewer definitely was familiar with my file, and I got a few questions tailored towards my experiences. Be articulate and be on your toes, but it was definitely nothing to be worried about. I really enjoyed it actually, and felt like it was a great experience. After that, we did some advising and I was done.

That about sums it up! Here are some take home messages I jotted down on the ride to the airport:
-Program is extremely friendly, with excellent advising and academic support
-The current post baccs (and current applicants) seem like an amazing group. The class seems to have bonded, and there’s a real diversity of experiences and backgrounds among the class. Furthermore, they seem pretty tight knit, and all hang out outside of class. Pretty cool.
-The program really encourages you to take your life with you into your post back year. They want you to have a life outside of classes, and they seem to be paying more than lip service to the idea of bringing the rest of your life along for the ride.

There’s a lot else that has already been said that I agree with, so I won’t repeat what others have said better than me. In the end, I came away really impressed with Bryn Mawr. I’m hoping to death I get in, and if I’m almost certain I’ll end up there next year.

Hi Evidence Based and others,

When I decided to pursue a career in medicine via a structured postbac program, I was disappointed and intimidated to find a dearth of information on the subject. I'm a Bryn Mawr postbac graduate and can honestly say that the program was phenomenal (albeit quite, quite challenging). I'm really proud of what I learned during my year and honored to have made such a wonderful, accomplished group of friends (and soon-to-be doctors!) there.

If you have questions regarding the general postbac app process or the specific BM program that weren't answered during your information session, darkjedi and I will be happy to help you as best we can. We aren't affiliated with the program in any way but just want to "pay it forward" so to speak :)

Last edited:

When I decided to pursue a career in medicine via a structured postbac program, I was disappointed and intimidated to find a dearth of information on the subject. I'm a Bryn Mawr postbac graduate and can honestly say that the program was phenomenal (albeit quite, quite challenging). I'm really proud of what I learned during my year and honored to have made such a wonderful, accomplished group of friends (and soon-to-be doctors!) there.

If you have questions regarding the general postbac app process or the specific BM program that weren't answered during your information session, darkjedi and I will be happy to help you as best we can.

I'd like to mirror what DMB has said and say that probably the greatest things about the program was the level of support form both the faculty and the other students. The amount of work is going to suck no matter where you go, but it becomes much more bearable when the professors work with you and you have a good network and support group of friends in the program. Feel free to PM me about any questions regarding student life!

I'd like to mirror what DMB has said and say that probably the greatest things about the program was the level of support form both the faculty and the other students. The amount of work is going to suck no matter where you go, but it becomes much more bearable when the professors work with you and you have a good network and support group of friends in the program. Feel free to PM me about any questions regarding student life!

Where do most of the students live?

Where do most of the students live?

There are 3 apartment complexes (Conwyn, Mermont and Mermont Plaza) practically across the street from each other and about a 10 minute walk to the building where classes are held.

I would say over half to maybe two-thirds of the students in the class lived in either of these 3 apartments, with the rest living in neighboring houses and some commuting from Philadelphia.

Conwyn is probably the nicest, but most expensive, however electricity and cable is included. Mermont and Mermont Plaza are less 'new,' but cheaper and there is a laundry/dryer in each apt. Expect to pay around 600-800 a month for rent depending on how many people you live with and which apt/house.

If you have questions regarding the general postbac app process or the specific BM program that weren't answered during your information session, darkjedi and I will be happy to help you as best we can. We aren't affiliated with the program in any way but just want to "pay it forward" so to speak :)

Hi guys! Thanks a lot for your help. There is definitely not a ton of info out there (hence me trying to post my impressions), so it's really nice to be able to hear from some current students in the program. Once I hear back (one way or another, fingers crossed), if I have any questions I'll be sure to speak up. Thanks again!

Hey all,

I know this is a little obsessive but just wondering if anyone has heard back about admissions decisions who interviewed in late Jan. During my interview I was told that I would hear back "by the first full week of February" but not sure exactly what that means. When should I give the office a call and ask? BM is by far my first choice so having a hard time staying chill about hearing back hhahaha.

HP-
You'll hear back soon, although it may be a week or two later than originally stated. I'd advise against calling, only because it won't get you the news any faster than you would get it otherwise.

Just got back from the interview day at Bryn Mawr, and I absolutely fell in love with the program. As promised, I'll give a brief rundown of the interview day, and then give my overall impressions of the program.

General overview:

Information session (1.5 hours): The day started out at 9:30 with a group information session. There were 8 applicants there on my interview day, and Jodi (the program director, who is AMAZING), who led the information session. It was super informal, and was a mix of her telling us things about the program and some Q&A. Interesting things gleaned from the info session:

-The post-bacc courses, especially the Biology sequence, are especially tailored for the post baccs. They tend to focus on things more relevant to medical school, and go easy on the things that don't matter as much. The Bio and Orgo sequences seem to cover a lot of Biochem, and past post baccs have found that the first year of medical school was easier as a result.
-Next year, all classes will take place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings, leaving afternoons and all day Tuesday and Thursday for labs, volunteering, studying, and doing fun things (which they seem to actually do!)
-Another change for next year: they're adding an evening course next year called the Practice of Medicine, which will be team-taught by two doctors working at Penn. The class will focus on health policy and medicine in the real world, and seems like it will be a great way to connect your work to the world of medicine.
-Jodi gave a great explanation of the pros vs. cons of fall/summer starts, which I'll leave for people to hear when they interview

After that we went to class (1 hour) with two current post baccs, and had lunch with them afterwards. We ended up in an organic chemistry lecture, so half the class seemed like it was in a different language. Nonetheless, I actually really enjoyed class. The professor was really engaging, and the whole atmosphere was really good-natured. We had lunch with the two post baccs afterwards (sandwiches/salads from the student center, paid for by the program), which was interesting and laid back. Great way to get an insider's perspective on the program. When asked to tell us something they didn't like about the program, neither could think of anything (besides the large amounts of work, but what can you do).

Finished off with the interview (45 minutes). More of a conversation than an interview, there were really no surprises. I was asked about my motivation to pursue medicine, what experiences led me here (volunteering, shadowing, etc), what other qualities of mine I thought would be helpful, what difficulties I foresaw in becoming a doctor, etc. My interviewer definitely was familiar with my file, and I got a few questions tailored towards my experiences. Be articulate and be on your toes, but it was definitely nothing to be worried about. I really enjoyed it actually, and felt like it was a great experience. After that, we did some advising and I was done.

That about sums it up! Here are some take home messages I jotted down on the ride to the airport:
-Program is extremely friendly, with excellent advising and academic support
-The current post baccs (and current applicants) seem like an amazing group. The class seems to have bonded, and there's a real diversity of experiences and backgrounds among the class. Furthermore, they seem pretty tight knit, and all hang out outside of class. Pretty cool.
-The program really encourages you to take your life with you into your post back year. They want you to have a life outside of classes, and they seem to be paying more than lip service to the idea of bringing the rest of your life along for the ride.

There's a lot else that has already been said that I agree with, so I won't repeat what others have said better than me. In the end, I came away really impressed with Bryn Mawr. I'm hoping to death I get in, and if I'm almost certain I'll end up there next year.

Thanks for the great info! I didn't know anything about the schedule, so that was helpful to hear about. If you get in, will you be a summer or fall start? Keep us posted! :)