BS(3.73) and MS(3.87) Electrical Engineer, good for med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gqfang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a BSEE(3.73) and a MSEE(3.87) degree. I took all the bio, chem, ochem and physics without labs(can only apply to 2 med schools that does not require lab). Lowest grade I got in any of the bio, chem, ochem and physics was A-. I have no volunteering exp, need to take 1 more class and need to take MCAT while working full time. What are my chances to get into 1 out of 2 med schools I apply? (UCSD and UArizona Tuscon for no lab required)

thank you for your advice:)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have a BSEE(3.73) and a MSEE(3.87) degree. I took all the bio, chem, ochem and physics without labs(can only apply to 2 med schools that does not require lab). Lowest grade I got in any of the bio, chem, ochem and physics was A-. I have no volunteering exp, need to take 1 more class and need to take MCAT while working full time. What are my chances to get into 1 out of 2 med schools I apply? (UCSD and UArizona Tuscon for no lab required)

thank you for your advice:)
Stats-wise, you might be fine. But without any clinical experience and physician shadowing, an acceptance seems iffy. Do you have any of the other usual and customary ECs, like nonmedical community service, research, leadership, and teaching? Have you researched those two schools' mission statements to see what ECs are most likely to appeal to them?

Stats-wise, you might be fine. But without any clinical experience and physician shadowing, an acceptance seems iffy. Do you have any of the other usual and customary ECs, like nonmedical community service, research, leadership, and teaching? Have you researched those two schools' mission statements to see what ECs are most likely to appeal to them?

Thanks for your reply.:) I have done community service long time ago while in college but none recently.:( I have a lot of work experience(3 internships and now a full time Analog IC design engineer) and that's about it. I plan to start volunteering at a local hospital, and possibly starting a shadowing gig somewhere. In general, I think this is probably a 3 year thing so it will be a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who went through the process while working as an engineer - I'd say you are putting yourself at a SERIOUS disadvantage if you apply right now. Do the shadowing, volunteering, get some leadership (since you're a non-trad) and for all things good, go back to school and take the lab classes!!!!

If you aren't a Cali resident you have 0.00001% chance of going to UCSD. That leaves just one school. Do you really want to put all your eggs in one basket?

go back to school and take the lab classes!!!!
Agreed.

If you aren't a Cali resident you have 0.00001% chance of going to UCSD. That leaves just one school. Do you really want to put all your eggs in one basket?
And two baskets wouldn't be much better.

I'm glad to hear you aren't going to rush things. Your planned timeframe would give you plenty of opportunity to make yourself a truly competitive applicant.

Hi all,

I really appreciate all of your comments. I actually have a pretty good job already, but I still want to do this because it is one of my dreams. In 08 my family was a victim of the financial crisis and I had to get a job part time in school.:( At the time, ee companies in the local area had a lot of positions and that's why I went for EE for a while. But now that things are better, I want to get back to it.:)

I have a timeline plan here, and it would be great if you guys could let me know what you guys think.

2012-June 2013:
1. Prepared for April 2013 MCAT.
2. Volunteer at local hospital and shadow a physician.

June 2013-2014:
1. Apply to Med school,
2. While waiting for possible supplement/2nd application(Take 4 Classes: Gen Chem Lab, Ochem Lab, Bio Lab, Physics lab(I wish I can waive this one but it looks like not)).
3. If accepted to a med school, maybe quit job and focus on finishing all the lab classes.

In terms of leadership, I've been actually managing 3-4 layout design guys on a IC projects(planning milestones, execution and etc). Would this be good enough?:)

Also start some nonmedical community service for 2+ hours a week soon. The leadership you mention is fine.

Why not sign up for one lab in each of the coming summer, fall, and spring terms? This may help resuscitate/solidify the concepts for you as you study for the MCAT (and take off some of the pressure of multiple, simultaneous labs).