BS/MD interview importance?

Cooperschwartz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to several BS/MD programs, and I was wondering if anybody knew just how important the interview is in the acceptance process. I am pretty confident with my scores and other stats, and I've already started applying. I just want to know how important the interview is. I'm especially concerned about the medical school interviews. I know they emphasize that applicants should be very sure that they do want to go into medicine. I'm not 100% sure that I want to be a doctor, and I doubt that a lot of high school seniors know for sure that they want to be a doctor either. But I don't have an amazing answer for "why do you want to be a doctor?" and I feel that if I screw up that question, they won't accept me because they don't think I'm committed enough or something along those lines. So I guess my main questions are:

How important is the interview?
How can I convince the interviewers that I really want to be a doctor?
Any other tips for the interviews?

By the way, this is my first post.

Thanks for answering

Members don't see this ad.

1. Very important. For the program I'm in, at least, they told us that once you made it to the interviews your stats weren't really important unless there was a tie. That said, it could differ by program.

2. Well, that's pretty much the most important thing, so you need to make sure you do it. If you aren't really sure you want to be a doctor, this program might not be the best for you... Just because if you get the spot then drop it half-way through college, no one gets to take your place. I know I'd feel a bit guilty about that... But if you're set on applying that is understandable. Just be sure that you find a way to convince them, because they don't want to accept someone who will just end up dropping it. For me, it was the integration of science with helping others. For my friend it was more personal experiences. Find out what it is for you and embrace that, then go from there. Don't make something up or it won't sound genuine. If you're applying to this, part of you has to really want it...

3. Stay calm no matter what they ask. My med school interviews were actually less stressful than the one at the university, but my friend (who's also in the program) had an interviewer ask her crazy hard questions about the history of science. She admitted to not knowing, which was the right answer in this case, and stayed calm. Just try to answer honestly and thoughtfully, and find a way in which you can connect with your interviewer.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, and good luck to you! :)

Last edited:
This is also my first post. It's extremely important. My older brother went through the BS/MD process and this is the thing he's stressing for me since my stats are also pretty solid.

Practice, talk to your counselors about resources, seek professional help, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very important. They are looking for someone that is mature beyond their years, because they are investing in you. This is the purpose of the interview.

You will be fine......you are just getting last minute "COLD FEET".....if you will(CARLOS)