BS/MD or UNDERGRAD in the CARIB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kylek044

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested - did anyone go the Carib route for a 6year or 7year program for undergrad and medical?

I am thinking about it - SGU and St. James both have the program - and I'm wondering if other schools do. I read somewhere that most Carib school's are not accredited in NJ, which is my home state. Is that true? Are there any that are accredited in NJ?

I appreciate the anticipated responses.

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested - did anyone go the Carib route for a 6year or 7year program for undergrad and medical?

I am thinking about it - SGU and St. James both have the program - and I'm wondering if other schools do. I read somewhere that most Carib school's are not accredited in NJ, which is my home state. Is that true? Are there any that are accredited in NJ?

I appreciate the anticipated responses.

I don't know your situation, but why would you want to subject yourself to not only getting a Carib medical education, but also a premed? I know some ppl do it, dunno Why, though? But your premed education may prove to be worthless in the States. It's bad enough to geal with IMG issues. Why not take your prereqs at some State or Community college, try your luck on MCAT, and apply in the States? If you don't get in U.S then go carib. But at least you'll some American college credits that will count for something. Also try valuemd.com. I know a couple of kids from Canada who do their premed at St.James. While I question the wisdom of that, there are certainly folks who do that.
Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the deal - I am from a low-income family. I know that medicine is where I'm supposed to be (how I got there can be discussed at a later date). I really want a combined degree program...but it won't happen for a few reasons. I had a teacher last year who screwed me over - I ended the year with a D average in her class, Chemistry (I know all of the information, BTW, she just found ways of screwing me). Stupid nun. She killed my GPA (it's still a 3.6) So that's a factor, and I go to a competitive school - so this top 10%-of-the-class crap won't happen, even with my GPA. Alot of the Carib med schools allow for full loans which can be deferred until after residency. All my first choices are in the US, but I would like to have at least one "fall back school." So that's my life story.

Here's the deal - I am from a low-income family. I know that medicine is where I'm supposed to be (how I got there can be discussed at a later date). I really want a combined degree program...but it won't happen for a few reasons. I had a teacher last year who screwed me over - I ended the year with a D average in her class, Chemistry (I know all of the information, BTW, she just found ways of screwing me). Stupid nun. She killed my GPA (it's still a 3.6) So that's a factor, and I go to a competitive school - so this top 10%-of-the-class crap won't happen, even with my GPA. Alot of the Carib med schools allow for full loans which can be deferred until after residency. All my first choices are in the US, but I would like to have at least one "fall back school." So that's my life story.

wait, are you in high school or college? if you are in high school, i wouldn't sell myself short by doing this direct programs to carib MD schools. they should be a last resort. some schools, like UMiami have 2+4 programs where you do 2 yrs of undergrad then go right into med school. i dont know the details, but if you have good grades in high school, they are worth the look.

if you are strapped for cash, i'd take out some loans, attend a community college close to home, and transfer to a local 4-yr public school. The beauty of living in America is that there is NO EXCUSE for not attending college. Gov't loans are some of the greatest benefits of livin' in the U.S. of A.

ome schools, like UMiami have 2+4 programs where you do 2 yrs of undergrad then go right into med school. i dont know the details, but if you have good grades in high school, they are worth the look.

I'm in high school - I am interested in Miami's program (among others) but I don't have the class rank requirement, or a a stellar GPA to make up for it. I'm still going to apply, but I want a fall back plan.

wait, are you in high school or college? if you are in high school, i wouldn't sell myself short by doing this direct programs to carib MD schools. they should be a last resort. some schools, like UMiami have 2+4 programs where you do 2 yrs of undergrad then go right into med school. i dont know the details, but if you have good grades in high school, they are worth the look.

if you are strapped for cash, i'd take out some loans, attend a community college close to home, and transfer to a local 4-yr public school. The beauty of living in America is that there is NO EXCUSE for not attending college. Gov't loans are some of the greatest benefits of livin' in the U.S. of A.

I couldn't agree with you more.
To the OP: just don't sell yourself short. If you are from the low income family you have some of the great benefits which are not available otherwise. Look into pell and tap grants. Stay Stateside. Forget Carib. It's still going to be there if everything else failed. They'll gladly take your money any time. Trust me on that ;)