BS/MS vs BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

litotes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First of all, I'm new here so go easy on me. lol

So anyways I'm a rising sophomore at a HYP. I'm majoring in Ecology & Evolutionary Biology. The department has a four-year BS/MS program where you basically complete some graduate level classes and complete a major research project w/ thesis to graduate with both degrees. I am strongly considering pursuing this track on its own merit-- seems like more bang for my tuition buck and I love research and would like to produce a project as significant as a Master's thesis. However, I am also wondering if pursuing this track would be beneficial to my med school chances. Would med schools be impressed by / care about the completion of two degrees in four years?

I'm planning to apply in the 2016-17 cycle, my senior year, so I would obviously not have both degrees at that point. I'm assuming I'd be able to show on my app that I am on track to earn both degrees that year.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on if you think you can handle it appropriately. if it's going to impact your grades, i would not do it. a very large majority of people get in with just bachelor's degrees, good grades/MCAT, and ECs.

it might help you more at schools big on research.

Even if they dont care about it, youre going to be doing a lot of research, taking challenging/interesting courses, potentially getting published, and getting a good bang for your buck... Why wouldnt you want to do it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm these are both very good points. I think I'll have to talk to my departmental advisor and figure out just how rigorous the program really is. Getting published wouldn't be as big of an incentive because either way I'll be doing a lot of research and hoping to get some pubs. Actually at the moment I'm trying to put together a research paper from my summer project that I could submit.... speaking of which I should probably get off SDN...

if you can handle it and get good grades, definitely do it. research is a fantastic thing to have on an app, and this gives you a great in to some great research and possible pubs. also, having a masters should help you stand out a little bit if everything else is good also. I'd do it. good luck

Hi all,

First of all, I'm new here so go easy on me. lol

So anyways I'm a rising sophomore at a HYP. I'm majoring in Ecology & Evolutionary Biology. The department has a four-year BS/MS program where you basically complete some graduate level classes and complete a major research project w/ thesis to graduate with both degrees. I am strongly considering pursuing this track on its own merit-- seems like more bang for my tuition buck and I love research and would like to produce a project as significant as a Master's thesis. However, I am also wondering if pursuing this track would be beneficial to my med school chances. Would med schools be impressed by / care about the completion of two degrees in four years?

I'm planning to apply in the 2016-17 cycle, my senior year, so I would obviously not have both degrees at that point. I'm assuming I'd be able to show on my app that I am on track to earn both degrees that year.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I did BS/MS but didn't have enough EC so I ended up taking some gap years (also because I just wanted to).

You really need to plan time for MCAT, EC, interviews, applications etc