Bs patient review

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was randomly looking myself up and noted a terrible, vague review that seemed a tad personal. I've never had a negative patient review in person or in our intra-program patient reviews nor have I heard any faculty or director voice concerns to me. I graduate in a month. I'm kinda pissed but I know it doesn't do much good for me to dwell on it. Thoughts? I wish I knew who it was or what the issue was so that I could at least have been able to address and remedy it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I was randomly looking myself up and noted a terrible, vague review that seemed a tad personal. I've never had a negative patient review in person or in our intra-program patient reviews nor have I heard any faculty or director voice concerns to me. I graduate in a month. I'm kinda pissed but I know it doesn't do much good for me to dwell on it. Thoughts? I wish I knew who it was or what the issue was so that I could at least have been able to address and remedy it.

Let it be water off a duck's back. In the grand scheme of things 1 negative patient review will not mean anything. Learn from it and keep on kicking butt.

As long as the majority of your reviews are positive, a few negative ones won't hurt you. You can't please everybody.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Being a resident, nobody really goes online to post reviews. This was my first and only online review. Like I'd mentioned, my one-on-one reviews with patients have all been wonderful and I have a good handful of them joining me, several other that want to but the practice I'm joining doesn't take Medicaid. Furthermore, all of the surveys my program requires patients to fill out about us have all been 5/5's and stellar comments. None of those reviews make it online but this one scathing review was posted.

Y'all are right, though. Can't please everyone. Just sucks.. I finally do see why physicians hate this type of stuff.

As a psychiatrist I have had my share of disgruntled patients, so this is how I view it: It's probably not a good sign if all your patients love you, because sometimes what patients want from us isn't what's actually in their best interest medically. Some of my patients really get angry at me when I won't give them Xanax (and also Percocet, because why not try for that too?). Some of my patients hate it when I say they don't need to be in the psych unit when they want to be there or that they do have to stay in the psych unit when they don't want to be there. It is not a great feeling to know some of your patients don't like you, but it's part of the burden we have to bear to give them the care they deserve even if it's not the care they think they need right now.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks so much for all the advice. I've been told by my patients that they appreciate my desire to go above and beyond and that review was hurtful, so I appreciate all of yalls kind words and experiences. I have a lot of stuff going on right now in my personal life so I was probably affected by that more than I should have been.

As a psychiatrist I have had my share of disgruntled patients, so this is how I view it: It's probably not a good sign if all your patients love you, because sometimes what patients want from us isn't what's actually in their best interest medically. Some of my patients really get angry at me when I won't give them Xanax (and also Percocet, because why not try for that too?). Some of my patients hate it when I say they don't need to be in the psych unit when they want to be there or that they do have to stay in the psych unit when they don't want to be there. It is not a great feeling to know some of your patients don't like you, but it's part of the burden we have to bear to give them the care they deserve even if it's not the care they think they need right now.

I really like what you said. One question. After several years in practice you can get more than one negative review. It seems most people who like you don't put a positive review. So when people get online all they see is the negative. Yelp favors negative reviews. So how does a good doctor survive the crazy patient?

I was forced out of a job for being a whistleblower when I found about 100 cases of medical malpractice from an office I took over. "The company" called me into admin one day and told me to keep my mouth shut, packed my office for me, forbid me to say goodbye to the staff, and cut me a "shut up" check for a lot of money.

What the patient's saw was a doctor who left them without and warning and it was viewed as abandonment by many. I got lots of negative on line reviews because of that as the patients never were told the truth. It happens and will happen again. I know that I didn't do anything wrong, it was the company's decision. It doesn't make a bad review hurt any less but know that it's generally not you per se.

Ridiculous.
The Internet has been good, but it's also being used for bad things by awful people.
I now wonder if all those folks with perfect online evals are fakes - agree with Eric.

Ridiculous.
The Internet has been good, but it's also being used for bad things by awful people.
I now wonder if all those folks with perfect online evals are fakes - agree with Eric.

Full disclosure. I have about 6 neg. reviews. Most were because we were aggressive about going after the patients bill. I know this because the evals came online after we sent them the final collection notice (after 6 pre-collections and basic bills over one years asking them to pay). In their complaints online they focus on the bill.

When patients demonstrate distrust or are show signs being uncomfortable I always welcome them to get a second or third opinion. I would rather lose a patient than have to deal with the online garbage. But by encouraging second/third opinions sometimes I gain trust by showing them I don't really have anything to hide and I do tell them that opinions between doctors can vary at times.

In my years I've learned a few things.

1. You can't make everyone happy.
2. When a patient has a complaint, just stand there and listen until they are done all the way. Do not interrupt them and make sure you make eye contact.
3. Acknowledge their concern and address each concern in full. Then suggest and encourage them to get a second opinion and put that in you note (document the hell out of it). When or if they do get a second opinion the other doctors may want notes and will see that in you note.
4. Which brings me to number 4. Other physicians can screw you by talking out of their ass or jealousy or whatever (maybe they are just old school asses). So don't be surprised. There isn't much you can do about it. That's why number one to three is important.

After all of this you will still get bad reviews. No one is perfect. And know that it will hurt you emotionally and possibly in your pocketbook.

Online reviews are the wild west right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Full disclosure. I have about 6 neg. reviews. Most were because we were aggressive about going after the patients bill. I know this because the evals came online after we sent them the final collection notice (after 6 pre-collections and basic bills over one years asking them to pay). In their complaints online they focus on the bill.

When patients demonstrate distrust or are show signs being uncomfortable I always welcome them to get a second or third opinion. I would rather lose a patient than have to deal with the online garbage. But by encouraging second/third opinions sometimes I gain trust by showing them I don't really have anything to hide and I do tell them that opinions between doctors can vary at times.

In my years I've learned a few things.

1. You can't make everyone happy.
2. When a patient has a complaint, just stand there and listen until they are done all the way. Do not interrupt them and make sure you make eye contact.
3. Acknowledge their concern and address each concern in full. Then suggest and encourage them to get a second opinion and put that in you note (document the hell out of it). When or if they do get a second opinion the other doctors may want notes and will see that in you note.
4. Which brings me to number 4. Other physicians can screw you by talking out of their ass or jealousy or whatever (maybe they are just old school asses). So don't be surprised. There isn't much you can do about it. That's why number one to three is important.

After all of this you will still get bad reviews. No one is perfect. And know that it will hurt you emotionally and possibly in your pocketbook.

Online reviews are the wild west right now.

Great advice.
Problem is that the review was back in March by a "Jane Doe" and never had addressed an issue in the care I had provided to this person to my face, the nurses or other staff. That's the frustrating part for me. Anytime there may be an issue (big or small) and its addressed to my staff or me I have always done the best I can to address any concerns and remedy it. I'm not perfect, but I also can't really read minds either.

Lots of good advice in this thread.

Give it time - my first 2 years out I really took these things personally and did lose some sleep over it. Then urgent care happened and I realized that you can't be a good doctor and please everybody. If you're worried about the financial aspect (potential patients seeing the bad reviews and choosing to not come see you), ask some of the patients that you really get along with well if they'd mind taking 5 minutes to write up a good review for you. I had friends and family do that when I first opened my practice and have had more than a few people comment on all the positive reviews I had.

You know you can always give yourself a "positive" review. Not saying it's ethical but really it's so dumb to know that ANYONE can write a review about you. I just hope no crazy ex's look me up!

You know you can always give yourself a "positive" review. Not saying it's ethical but really it's so dumb to know that ANYONE can write a review about you. I just hope no crazy ex's look me up!

How crazy are they??? ;)

Well, I've had a few crazy ones along the way..

Honestly, the fact that it seems a little personal often makes it easier to discount (although it stings a little more). Usually it indicates that there is something more at play than just dissatisfaction at the care that you rendered.

Patients will get upset about almost anything. I had a patient complain that the pharmacy was giving him medication that was not prescribed to him. Upon further questioning, the patient told me that he didn't want to take that "succinate" stuff....as in, Metoprolol succinate. He was going to complain to the state Board of Pharmacy because the pharmacist gave him Metoprolol cut with succinate, as opposed to the "pure" Metoprolol he was supposed to get.

Reactions: 2 users

TOR Browser and VPN brahs. The tools are in your hands. With great power come great reviews ;)

• Inappropriate
Reactions: 2 users