BSN failed NCLEX twice, what are my job options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChanelCinq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK so I posted this info in a nursing forum but I am probably just going to get a bunch of people telling me not to give up. I know the forum and although they think they are helpful they do not answer the question so I am posting it here in hopes for assistance. Sorry it is super late so I am just going to post the same thing. It still applies. And yes I do have AD/HD. You can tell by how I type and my myriad of degrees and certificates. I also have a Bachelors in French and a post graduate certificate in Teaching English as a Foreign Language in addition to the other stuff I mentioned below and to this date I have used NONE of the things I have trained in. Ugh, anyway getting off topic AGAIN so here is my post:

OK please don't give any studying advice. I took the NCLEX twice. I failed twice at 75 Q. I did all of Kaplan, every inch of and started repeating the Q Bank. I did Hurst. Started with it online and then did the live version but I don't like how they dumb everything down. After watching all the videos 5 times I was done. I did ATI questions. I did a 2 month prep course for people that have been out of school for a while. We had 5 hours of homework every night for 2 months. And I used a bunch of different resources.

I graduated with a 3.87 GPA in my BSN. But I am DONE with NCLEX for a while. I don't want to talk about NCLEX.

I went to nursing school so that I could work in a medi spa. I also wanted to do Doctors without Borders.

So I have to find a job. I am going all these different directions. I had a Cosmetology license from before my first Bachelors so I thought I'll work as an esthetician and then start studying NCLEX again. When I pass I can migrate from doing facials to doing injections and laser. Well I took a couple advanced esthetics classes in peels and microdermabrasion, etc and I started interning at the place I get my facials. She works alone so she can't hire me. So I have been applying for esthetician jobs for a month and not a single bite. Not a call, email, nothing.

So now I am leaning back towards the medical field again but what can I do besides being a CNA. And even that requires flying to LA to challenge an exam. But I do not want to work in a CNA capacity. I will end up strangling myself within a week.

I can do a phlebotomy course or an EMT course because they are short BUT could I get hired for either of those? I totally see myself being an EMT. I know the pay is crap but I would be working in the medical field and then I could start studying again.

However, I don't want to waste time and money if I won't be able to get a job. And like everything it seems every single job wants experience before they will hire you.

I am at my wits end and I really don't know what to do. I feel like crawling under a rock. I am feeling like an unproductive member of society.

But please if anyone has suggestions of what type of jobs are in demand that I could do without going back to school for longer then a month please assist. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area so there are tons of two week classes for both EMT and phlebotomy but could I get a job?

Other jobs that I am missing? Ideas of job titles I can search in Indeed? I want to find a job that will allow a candidate who does not have experience and jobs in demand. Please...

Members don't see this ad.

The chiropractor assistants at my chiro seem happy....lots of patient contact and simple stuff like just placing ice/heat and the TENS units. I don't know about their certification requirements but it might be worth looking into

The chiropractor assistants at my chiro seem happy....lots of patient contact and simple stuff like just placing ice/heat and the TENS units. I don't know about their certification requirements but it might be worth looking into

Thanks that was helpful and certainly something I had not thought of. Keep the ideas flowing folks. I am so glad I posted here.

Members don't see this ad :)
To obtain EMT credentials, you will likely have to pass the national registry computer adaptive exam. This is an exam that is just like the NCLEX and it's even given at the same testing centre where you go to do the NCLEX. If the type of test or testing centre environment is part of why you struggle with the NCLEX, I strongly suggest you try to work through those issues before taking an EMT class. Good luck.

To obtain EMT credentials, you will likely have to pass the national registry computer adaptive exam. This is an exam that is just like the NCLEX and it's even given at the same testing centre where you go to do the NCLEX. If the type of test or testing centre environment is part of why you struggle with the NCLEX, I strongly suggest you try to work through those issues before taking an EMT class. Good luck.

Yeah I am good at exams if I am prepared. My nursing school did not prepare me so basically I have to learn everything on my own.

Yeah I am good at exams if I am prepared. My nursing school did not prepare me so basically I have to learn everything on my own.

If you failed the nursing exam twice you need to face that you aren't as good at exams as you believe...if you approach another exam, you might need personal coaching

If you failed the nursing exam twice you need to face that you aren't as good at exams as you believe...if you approach another exam, you might need personal coaching

I do just fine on exams. The issue is I went to a crappy school. And most of the people from my class have not passed NCLEX. Some people have taken it more then 3 times.

I only know a few people from my class of 60 that have passed. And keep in mind that this was a second degree Bachelors program so all of us already had a Bachelors degree.

My problem is not exams, my problem is that my school didn't prepare me or the other 80% (or more?) of our class. I have no idea why the school is even accredited by the NLN but they did gain reaccreditation my first fall in the program. I think the issue is that their Spanish prog is very good but the English program is just plain lousy. I can't even begin to describe how awful it is.

But the purpose of of post is not discus my NCLEX capabilities but to get job ideas. I can discuss NCLEX forever on allnurses.com but I am trying to figure out job opportunities.

How about veterinary? I mean if you are good with animals, you can opt this too.....

Hey ChanelCinq,

First, take a deep breath. Hold it five seconds and then let it out. What you need is time. Working anywhere that pays the bills would give you the priceless commodity of time. Any test can be cracked with the right prep, right people around you, and the right frame of mind.

Obviously, the intense pressure-cooker of your Accel-BSN class isn't helpful, yet I would recommend taking a long break from academics. And then completing the NCLEX in the next year. You may need six months off, which has to be okay. Go abroad and get paid to live well in China, Korea, or Japan while using your Teaching English certificate. They will give you a paid ticket, housing and regular salary. You only need a reliable internet connection for study later.

Enjoy life again. This is the best gift you could give yourself and then your brain can figure out a strategy. The money will follow after NCLEX. The nursing shortage will definitely help out.

Passing the NCLEX and obtaining your license is the obvious thing to do. There its no need to spend extra time and money trying to get certified as a tech just because you want to take a break when you probably spent a good amount of money for your BSN. Save yourself the heartache.

Have you looked into what a Kinsthetic learner is? Also do you currently have a primary Doc or Psych Doc maybe can prescribe you medication to assist with focusing on taking the test. I think if you can complete the program you can do the test. I struggle taking online computer test maybe can ask for a written exam.

I do just fine on exams. The issue is I went to a crappy school. And most of the people from my class have not passed NCLEX. Some people have taken it more then 3 times.

I only know a few people from my class of 60 that have passed. And keep in mind that this was a second degree Bachelors program so all of us already had a Bachelors degree.

My problem is not exams, my problem is that my school didn't prepare me or the other 80% (or more?) of our class. I have no idea why the school is even accredited by the NLN but they did gain reaccreditation my first fall in the program. I think the issue is that their Spanish prog is very good but the English program is just plain lousy. I can't even begin to describe how awful it is.

But the purpose of of post is not discus my NCLEX capabilities but to get job ideas. I can discuss NCLEX forever on allnurses.com but I am trying to figure out job opportunities.

Or you could do nothing and keep blaming others for your short comings. There comes a point in life when you have to say, it's my fault, I didn't study right, I failed the exam, it's on me. Until that day no matter the training you undertake you will always struggle.

Reactions: 1 user
Or maybe two years later they're not still reading this forum.

Reactions: 1 user