BSN getting ready to take NCLEX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WakeboardGirl88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am new to this forum- I just graduated nursing school this December and I am pretty nervous about the NCLEX. I am studying, but that book is pretty big to get through in the month between I take the test. Does anyone have any study tips or big target areas that need focus on that were obstacles for previous NCLEX study areas, or even just some test taking tips. I'm sure my school prepared us pretty good, but I am just hoping I can really dust off some of the old books from past semesters to make sure I am prepared. I am naturally anxious because I am not the world's best test taker, so I am trying to prepare as best as possible. Any input would be great. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I took the NCLEX in 98, just about the time they started the computer based testing. I remember feeling much like you are describing. About 15 minutes into the test, I couldn't believe how easy it was. I was out of there in 40 minutes, start to finish. If you did well in school and go through the test prep book, you will do fine. Most people do. I apologize if the test was some how made more difficult in the last 7 years. Good luck.
Pat

Hey,

I took the NCLEX in '99 and, at least at that time, I thought the biggest focus was on prioritization. I had an awful lot of "You get your morning report and these are your four patients, which one do you see first?" questions. I guess these questions aren't really that much different from the more direct, standard, knowledge-based questions but they did kinda throw me for a loop when I sat the test. As a matter of fact, I cried the whole way home thinking there was no way in hell I'd passed. Of course, I did pass, and everything was fine.

As far as test-taking tips, it's pretty standard. Just take things slow (you have plenty of time). Read the questions slowly. Take deep breaths. Remember the ABC's. Don't let a disease you've never heard of throw you off -- lots of times the information you need for the answer is in the question if you look hard enough. Don't overthink... most times your first impulse is the right answer.

Of course, things might have changed in the past few years... but I doubt it's changed all that much.

Best of luck to you! Congratulations on your graduation and welcome to nursing!!! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for giving me some info. I have heard from my professors that prioritization and delegation are huge- so that does help since I have been going over those. It is good to have support and know that I am not the only one that has been worried about taking the test! Thanks again for your responses, you input is greatly valued!

My baby sister just took NCLEX and she did have alot of delegation and priority questions. Also alot of disaster related questions, infection control, and risk factors. She had 3 drug calculations, a few fill in the blank questions etc. Here a few tips she found online that may help

Generally, the correct answer is the answer that identifies the safest approach. It may not be the fastest or the best, but it is the safest. The old medical slogan of “Do No Harm” applies to NCLEX test takers. NCLEX test writers are trying to make sure that you are competent and recognize that safety is the key.

Another key point on reviewing for the NCLEX, is know your normal laboratory data ranges. Lab test results on the NCLEX will not be flagged with an asterisk if the number is outside of normal ranges. NCLEX test takers must memorize the basic lab values. Focus on the blood gas values. These values in particular can be complicated. If you do not remember the normal ranges you will have no chance of answering lab value questions on the NCLEX. Many times these abnormal values will require further assessment.

It is also important to note that notifying the physician or contacting other health care workers is not the correct answer in many cases on the NCLEX. Remember the guidelines: Assess, Assess, Assess. Choose answers that require further assessment before contacting someone else on the NCLEX questions. Basically, collect more data and factual information before calling in other healthcare professionals.

Finally, think safety with all types of patient care on the NCLEX. If equipment breaks down and the patient is in trouble, work on solving the patient’s problems before getting someone else to fix the equipment. Let maintenance deal with the equipment mess and focus on getting the patient in a safe environment. The NCLEX is attempting to determine competencies related to all of the above situations.

Good Luck