BSN to Dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasmineH

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would having a BSN help with getting into Dental school??? I know nursing isn't directly related to dentistry. I would like to have a back up career if I can't get into Detal School, but I don't want to be a dental assistant, and dental hygiene is dead end---meaning you can't further your education beyond that unless you get into dental school. Im just thinking at least with a BSN, I could get my masters degree if dental school doesnt work out. I'm lost, what do Dental AdCom's want as far as experience?????

Members don't see this ad.

I think the schools might find it odd that you pursued a nursing degree and decided to go into dentistry. It's best to get some kind of bachelor's degree before entering dental school though. Why do you feel that you need a backup plan?

I feel I need a backup plan because I don't know if I can get A's in chemistry and physics. Otherwise I wouldn't be worried about it. Will getting B's cut it??

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need A's in chemistry and physics to be admitted to dental school. You should aim for the highest grades in these courses, since they are required for admission to dental school. I would think you can still be admitted to dental school with straight B's in the above courses. You want to end up with a science GPA of probably around 3.4 though to have a good shot at many schools. Also, chemistry is covered on the DAT, so it's important to understand the subject to do well on the DAT.

A backup plan is always a wise decision. As has been mentioned, if you choose nursing you might have a little more explaining to do re dentistry, but you have a valid reason for choosing that route. If you are ever asked about it, DEFEND your choice. Don't roll over and play dead. Nursing is NOT an unreasonable choice for some people. But don't lose your cool. If you defend yourself calmly and well, most reasonable people will think the more of you for it.