BSN to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

candyvanman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow nontraditional students!

So here is my predicament, I am currently half way through my BSN program at one of the top schools in my state. I am 26 years old, and when I went back to school I figured I'd go get a degree in something that wouldn't take forever and I could earn a good living.

Problem is, further I get into nursing school, I know my personality and interest align a lot more with medicine than nursing. I am about a month away from completing my 4th semester, and I'll have 4 semesters to go.

Some will say and have said "Drop your nursing degree and just switch to pre med if you want to be a doctor!" However I don't know how realistic or safe that is, when I could just finish nursing and have a good career to fall back on.

My plan was to finish my BSN, work as a nurse at a local hospital, and start taking my prerequisites. So I would love to hear some insight from others who may have done something similar, or happen to be in my position.

My worries with this plan:

A) Schedule. Classes like gen chem are known to be 4-5 times a week with lab, how do you work and still make it to all the classes?

B) Finances. Can I make enough money as a nurse to pay off loans while concurrently taking classes?

C) I am also currently living with some family. While they are supportive of my endeavours, another reason I would like to finish nursing is to move out on my own. It has been discussed that I have a limited amount of time to live there and commute, and me switching majors and extending my stay would more than likely not be welcomed with open arms.

My stats:
cGPA: 3.78
science/nursing GPA: 4.0

I have foolishly taken some classes directly out of highschool and gotten some B's, which I could easily retake for a gpa boost (3.9 area)

Thanks for reading, and please share your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow doctors. Talk with doctors. Also, shadow and talk with NPs and PAs. Make sure why you want to be a doctor is not just a whim because nursing school can suck.

A) Actually look at pre-reqs on websites of medical schools you are interested in and look at schedules for those classes. Take some time to map out different schedules. Every school is different with how often classes meet. Although, I'm surprised gen chem wasn't a pre-req for nursing school. A lot of my co-workers are working on bridge programs going from ASN to BSN right now and they complain a lot about working full-time while taking classes. 12 hour shifts take a lot out of you but it's only three days a week so you can manage finishing school and picking up pre-reqs afterwards.

B) As for making enough money to pay for classes, depends on if you are at a private/public university or CC. Say a typical RN makes 40-50K a year. It's enough to live on your own and pay off loans or pay for classes if you live within your means. Anyways, crunch numbers for the different schedule scenarios you map out.

C) Don't let your parents and living situation dictate your career path. Decide if you want to go to medical school or if you want to be a nurse practitioner or whatever you want to be and then make it happen. This is coming from somebody who never had the option to rely on my parents.

@candyvanman I would finish nursing and then take med school prereq while working... At least that was what I did as former RN (BSN)... I got my AS RN and after working for 4 years, I realized I was not going to be able to make a good career out of it because I did not enjoy it. Then I went back to school for my BSN and took med school prereq while doing my BSN. It took me a little 0ver 3 years to complete my BSN and med school prereqs because I had biologyI and general chemistryI... Now I am a MS1 and I think that was a great decision... I just did not see myself working as a nurse for 30 years... I am older than you. Getting in med school was hard and so is med school, but if you think or know your interest is aligned more with medicine, go to med school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Shadow doctors. Talk with doctors. Also, shadow and talk with NPs and PAs. Make sure why you want to be a doctor is not just a whim because nursing school can suck.

A) Actually look at pre-reqs on websites of medical schools you are interested in and look at schedules for those classes. Take some time to map out different schedules. Every school is different with how often classes meet. Although, I'm surprised gen chem wasn't a pre-req for nursing school. A lot of my co-workers are working on bridge programs going from ASN to BSN right now and they complain a lot about working full-time while taking classes. 12 hour shifts take a lot out of you but it's only three days a week so you can manage finishing school and picking up pre-reqs afterwards.

B) As for making enough money to pay for classes, depends on if you are at a private/public university or CC. Say a typical RN makes 40-50K a year. It's enough to live on your own and pay off loans or pay for classes if you live within your means. Anyways, crunch numbers for the different schedule scenarios you map out.

C) Don't let your parents and living situation dictate your career path. Decide if you want to go to medical school or if you want to be a nurse practitioner or whatever you want to be and then make it happen. This is coming from somebody who never had the option to rely on my parents.

Sadly my science classes were "fundamentals of" and "intro to", so they were not anything medical schools would accept.
As far as I know I'd have to do the following:
2 years of chemistry (2 genchem 2 ochem)
1 year of biology
Do physics math requirement (trig)
1 year of physics with lab

Just so incredibly curious as to why this topic comes up once to twice a month or so here. I mean really? People actually think "Go to school to become a RN, then jump to MD or DO"?

I mean, it's one thing if you were already there as a RN, and decided after a working for a while to pursue medicine. But to use it from undergrad--to launch into medicine--eh, it's not the best of ideas. I've already said why in about a zillion posts like this already. The search feature will render a number of BSN or RN to MD/DO threads.

It's just strange how they keep popping up. Again, in general, it's a bad idea unless you plan to work as an RN for decent period of time. Whatever.

I make more than that, but I have been doing it for a while. It also depends on your area of the country and other factors.
Point is, there is a good probability one will not be able to work than much in MS or after--maybe in first two years of MS--after that minimal to zero. Doing it for clinical exposure--can't really give it a fair shot if you are using it as a bridge to medicine--which I think a lot of us have not. I truly wanted to be a RN, and I have enjoy a lot of it. There are also a lot of suck factors, and in my experience they have little to nothing to do with soiled sheets. If only that was the bulk of the stress in the role. Overall, it's not as bad as what residents and so forth have to deal with by far. But there are major suck factors, accountability stressors-- a lot of stuff, and you can't get really go at it in a short period of time--in spite of what some folks say or think. But you know, everyone wants to believe they are the best nurse, doctor, teacher, whatever. Point is,, it takes time and dedication, like anything else.

To the OP: What do your parents have to do with this???
"Problem is, further I get into nursing school, I know my personality and interest align a lot more with medicine than nursing. I am about a month away from completing my 4th semester, and I'll have 4 semesters to go."
Also, you will not totally know this until you work in the RN field for a while. Nursing School is the slightest pinch of salt in a big stew. The above poster is right. You will not, in all probability, make what you think you will make, straight out of school--and then you will be trying to learn a new stressful role--in many instances/areas of nursing, whilst striving to jump through the many hoops of med school app--including ensuring all the pre-reqs are completed very well--scoring decently on the MCAt. And remember, you can't work as a RN without passing the NCLEX--not that it is necessarily a killer--just some percentage of nursing students have trouble with the test for a number of different reasons. Then you have to work on perfecting PS, volunteering, shadowing, trying to ensure good LORs--there's a lot--and then there is also secondaries, flying around and interviewing--all while probably having to, at the very least, work night to day rotations (12 hours--which can become 13 hours + travel time). Have you ever worked long, off-shifts and felt the fun of that weird screw-up of your circadian rhythms, which is far worse than jet lag? Oh, and then people will be watching you like a hawk in your first year or so--after precepting with people that may not necessarily be the best nurses with which to precept. Just don't think it will necessarily be an easy walk--though some nurses manage to do the bare minimal and are liked and get away with it. In time, it jumps up to bite them on the butt. It's not a generally supportive field--even more disunity than medicine or even teaching--and teaching can get really political.

Do what you want to do; but please use the search feature and read about this topic, b/c it's come up a lot--more so lately in the last year or so. I really think people believe (and falsely) that RN directly to moving toward MS is a good way to approach medicine, and for so many reason, it usually isn't. I can also tell you stories of RNs that started out with me in nursing back in the day that tried this approach. I thought it was a bit crazy back them. Many of them ended up prolonging the med school app process or derailing it at some point. One person I know did ultimately become a radiologist, but I think she would attest to the fact that going the RN/BSN way--divided focus and what not--actually delayed and derailed her for a considerable period of time. She ended up getting almost nothing out of the clinical nursing experience, b/c she didn't stay in it for more than 9 mo.s--and even at that point she went to PT hours and then just ended up doing GME verification stuff and residency scheduling. Had to stop working b/c she couldn't get a decent MCAT score. She had a time of it. Like I said, she had it a little rough; but her new husband had some bucks, and that really buffered her as she pursued her primary desire to become a radiologist. I always wished her well; but think her time would have been better spent obtaining a bio or chem degree, doing some research, getting some clinical hours, etc, and prepping for the MCAT. She is doing pretty well now as a radiologist though. But I could see early on, as nice as she seemed, she wasn't going to be one to get down and dirty with the patients from a clinical standpoint--as a RN or a MD. And that's fine. It all just ended up taking her longer, and she had a solid income from her husband, so . . . It's a difference doing it with a financial buffer and trying to work as a RN and survive while jumping through all the med app hoops.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I make more than that, but I have been doing it for a while. It also depends on your area of the country and other factors.

I should have probably noted I work in Florida. Probably some of the lowest paid nurses in the country. I figured I should at least lowball the salary though.

I second the heart of @jl lin 's post. If you know you want to go to med school...make that happen. I thought nursing would be fulfilling. There are parts I enjoy. And most of my co-worker love their job and think I'm out of my mind. This just boils down to a personal decision though and like the above poster said, do your research.

Just so incredibly curious as to why this topic comes up once to twice a month or so here. I mean really? People actually think "Go to school to become a RN, then jump to MD or DO"?

I mean, it's one thing if you were already there as a RN, and decided after a working for a while to pursue medicine. But to use it from undergrad--to launch into medicine--eh, it's not the best of ideas. I've already said why in about a zillion posts like this already. The search feature will render a number of BSN or RN to MD/DO threads.

It's just strange how they keep popping up. Again, in general, it's a bad idea unless you plan to work as an RN for decent period of time. Whatever.
Why do you think it's not a good idea? Some (or few) might use it as a backup plan, which OP stated... From my experience in the interview trail last cycle, I don't think med school care that much. I went to three interviews and none really asked me pointed question why RN to MD. Then again I was a nurse for 8 years so they probably assumed I had a good reason...

A lot of people don't initially realize they want to be physicians. They think they'll be happy with being a nurse, and then realize on their clinical rotations that it just isn't enough autonomy and that they really love medicine and want to do more. Many also grow disillusioned with nursing theory and such, and want to dig deeper into the science of medicine, but are too far into their nursing degree to turn back, so they just finish it up. I didn't realize I wanted to be a physician when I was getting my RT degree- hell, I didn't even know for sure until I was several years into practice. But the thought grows in some minds faster than others.

Reactions: 1 user
Point is, there is a good probability one will not be able to work than much in MS or after--maybe in first two years of MS--after that minimal to zero. Doing it for clinical exposure--can't really give it a fair shot if you are using it as a bridge to medicine--which I think a lot of us have not. I truly wanted to be a RN, and I have enjoy a lot of it. There are also a lot of suck factors, and in my experience they have little to nothing to do with soiled sheets. If only that was the bulk of the stress in the role. Overall, it's not as bad as what residents and so forth have to deal with by far. But there are major suck factors, accountability stressors-- a lot of stuff, and you can't get really go at it in a short period of time--in spite of what some folks say or think. But you know, everyone wants to believe they are the best nurse, doctor, teacher, whatever. Point is,, it takes time and dedication, like anything else.

To the OP: What do your parents have to do with this???
"Problem is, further I get into nursing school, I know my personality and interest align a lot more with medicine than nursing. I am about a month away from completing my 4th semester, and I'll have 4 semesters to go."
Also, you will not totally know this until you work in the RN field for a while. Nursing School is the slightest pinch of salt in a big stew. The above poster is right. You will not, in all probability, make what you think you will make, straight out of school--and then you will be trying to learn a new stressful role--in many instances/areas of nursing, whilst striving to jump through the many hoops of med school app--including ensuring all the pre-reqs are completed very well--scoring decently on the MCAt. And remember, you can't work as a RN without passing the NCLEX--not that it is necessarily a killer--just some percentage of nursing students have trouble with the test for a number of different reasons. Then you have to work on perfecting PS, volunteering, shadowing, trying to ensure good LORs--there's a lot--and then there is also secondaries, flying around and interviewing--all while probably having to, at the very least, work night to day rotations (12 hours--which can become 13 hours + travel time). Have you ever worked long, off-shifts and felt the fun of that weird screw-up of your circadian rhythms, which is far worse than jet lag? Oh, and then people will be watching you like a hawk in your first year or so--after precepting with people that may not necessarily be the best nurses with which to precept. Just don't think it will necessarily be an easy walk--though some nurses manage to do the bare minimal and are liked and get away with it. In time, it jumps up to bite them on the butt. It's not a generally supportive field--even more disunity than medicine or even teaching--and teaching can get really political.

Do what you want to do; but please use the search feature and read about this topic, b/c it's come up a lot--more so lately in the last year or so. I really think people believe (and falsely) that RN directly to moving toward MS is a good way to approach medicine, and for so many reason, it usually isn't. I can also tell you stories of RNs that started out with me in nursing back in the day that tried this approach. I thought it was a bit crazy back them. Many of them ended up prolonging the med school app process or derailing it at some point. One person I know did ultimately become a radiologist, but I think she would attest to the fact that going the RN/BSN way--divided focus and what not--actually delayed and derailed her for a considerable period of time. She ended up getting almost nothing out of the clinical nursing experience, b/c she didn't stay in it for more than 9 mo.s--and even at that point she went to PT hours and then just ended up doing GME verification stuff and residency scheduling. Had to stop working b/c she couldn't get a decent MCAT score. She had a time of it. Like I said, she had it a little rough; but her new husband had some bucks, and that really buffered her as she pursued her primary desire to become a radiologist. I always wished her well; but think her time would have been better spent obtaining a bio or chem degree, doing some research, getting some clinical hours, etc, and prepping for the MCAT. She is doing pretty well now as a radiologist though. But I could see early on, as nice as she seemed, she wasn't going to be one to get down and dirty with the patients from a clinical standpoint--as a RN or a MD. And that's fine. It all just ended up taking her longer, and she had a solid income from her husband, so . . . It's a difference doing it with a financial buffer and trying to work as a RN and survive while jumping through all the med app hoops.

While I appreciate the passion in your response and the time it took you to write it jl lin, my thoughts align more with what BestDoctorEver is saying. While I find the medical model a lot more intuitive and desirable, I think finishing my degree and having something to fall back on would be ideal, rather than taking the very real chance of being left with a degree that I won't use or don't want. It is indeed a longer and more expensive route, but I do find it the more logical/feasible one.

A lot of people don't initially realize they want to be physicians. They think they'll be happy with being a nurse, and then realize on their clinical rotations that it just isn't enough autonomy and that they really love medicine and want to do more. Many also grow disillusioned with nursing theory and such, and want to dig deeper into the science of medicine, but are too far into their nursing degree to turn back, so they just finish it up. I didn't realize I wanted to be a physician when I was getting my RT degree- hell, I didn't even know for sure until I was several years into practice. But the thought grows in some minds faster than others.

You put it beautifully, and frankly stated exactly how I felt. Based on my current situation, I think it would be best for me to finish up the degree, pay off all my debt while saving whatever I can on the side, then if I still am sure about being a physician, taking the classes needed to apply.

While I appreciate the passion in your response and the time it took you to write it jl lin, my thoughts align more with what BestDoctorEver is saying. While I find the medical model a lot more intuitive and desirable, I think finishing my degree and having something to fall back on would be ideal, rather than taking the very real chance of being left with a degree that I won't use or don't want. It is indeed a longer and more expensive route, but I do find it the more logical/feasible one.
It's not that much longer... I actually think it's a bad idea to try to get a bio degree now. I did it with no major issues, though you will have to jump thru to some hoops, but nothing difficult or impossible however.... Was working 8 hours on friday and 12 hours sat/sun... I had a nice income...

Last edited:

I suppose, but you really don't know a hell of a lot during school. I mean the first year or so post-grad is a lot of trial by fire. If you were an RRT, you know this. It's just really hard to clue in without enough clinical exposure--even people who went for NP or CRNA found this out.--especially if they started moving in that direction before getting a lot of really strong clinical experience. It takes time to really develop and grow in these fields--even if you are bright, talented, and exposed to a lot before hand--my mom was an ED RN, who, back in the day when docs and admins didn't give a crap, would let be tag along, learn, experience things--well before nursing school. I was a teen then. Really good experiences, and the ED docs were super great, and the ED RNs were mostly pretty cool. But when I started taking my sciences, I realized I like to understand things deeper than many of my cohorts. I think one reason I didn't even entertain the though of medicine back then was b/c most of the people I shadowed with--nurses and docs were quite fun and seemed to really enjoy what they were doing. It's kind of odd I choose to pursue intensive care nursing--but I found all they mysteries and labs and looking deeper into one or two patients fascinating. Each of them were case studies to me that I could take home and study more about. I just didn't think it was feasible on some level, so I never entertained it. Working as an ICU RN is what really allowed me to see that my true interests leaned toward medicine more than nursing. Ah repression and other interests in life kept me ignorant to my true interests. Seeing that my bent toward this wasn't allowed to really grow as a nurse--even in some of the world's best ICUs--that's what cinched it for me.

Yes. Everyone is different. Still stay the more direct, clinical exposure, the better. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I realized that the first week I started working as a nurse. I thought I could tolerate it because I was making a nice income. Then four year into nursing, I met a NP who became a DO, she told me that the same thing happened to her. Because of that, she went to NP school thinking that would give her some relief, and even after becoming a NP, she did not find that relief at all. She finally said f... it and then went to DO school... Her story gave me that extra push I needed... She did help me a lot... She let me shadow her and she gave me a nice LOR...

I realized that the first week I started working as a nurse. I thought I could tolerate it because I was making a nice income. Then four year into nursing, I met a NP who became a DO, she told me that the same thing happened to her. Because of that, she went to NP thinking that would give her some relief, and even after becoming a NP, she did not find that relief at all. She finally said f... it and then went to DO school... Her story gave me that extra push I needed... She did helped me a lot... She let me shadow her and she gave me a nice LOR...

All I am saying is work in it for a while--you can take upper level courses or any unfinished pre-reqs and prepare for MCAT while shadowing some more--all while you are working in it. I know I am biased, but might I suggest working in a high-functioning university medical center ICU--surgical, medical? You get the opportunity to learn interesting stuff, if you are so inclined--and as I said, each patient becomes a case studiy that you can expand upon at home or on your own time. I mean, as a nurse, they become more to you than initials on expanded case studies, but least I found this cool and interesting. Also, if for some reason you decide against medicine, you will have strong ICU experience, which is ideal when applying for a CRNA program.

Good stuff about your NP/DO mentor, and good luck.

All I am saying is work in it for a while--you can take upper level courses or any unfinished pre-reqs and prepare for MCAT while shadowing some more--all while you are working in it. I know I am biased, but might I suggest working in a high-functioning university medical center ICU--surgical, medical? You get the opportunity to learn interesting stuff, if you are so inclined--and as I said, each patient becomes a case studiy that you can expand upon at home or on your own time. I mean, as a nurse, they become more to you than initials on expanded case studies, but least I found this cool and interesting. Also, if for some reason you decide against medicine, you will have strong ICU experience, which is ideal when applying for a CRNA program.

Good stuff about your NP/DO mentor, and good luck.
:thumbup:... OP is already two year into nursing school... He/she will be working at least 3 years as a nurse before starting med school; therefore, it make more sense to finish that degree so he/she can pay back student loan.

:thumbup:... OP is already two year into nursing school... He/she will be working at least 3 years as a nurse before starting med school; therefore, it make more sense to finish that degree so he/she can pay back student loan.
Yes. At this point, it does make sense, and the OP seems very aware and has a good mentor, so he should be fine. :)

I think jl lin confused you for me for a second, haha I'm OP, not BestDoctorEver

Quite right. Sorry about that. I am having all kinds of multiple conversations online, while trying to study. LOL.

Well, what I wrote to BDE--yup. That's for you. Good luck, and if I called you a he when you are a she, please excuse me for that as well. It's hard to tell from here. :p

Maybe there should be an association of nurses who became physicians, if there isn't one already. If there is, I'd like to know where I can sign up for that group. :)

Last edited:
Quite right. Sorry about that. I am having all kinds of multiple conversations online, while trying to study. LOL.

Well, what I wrote to BDE--yup. That's for you. Good luck, and if I called you a he when you are a she, please excuse me for that as well. It's hard to tell from here. :p

Very well, as I've said, thank you for your time to read and respond to my thread. And yes, I'm a he, no offense taken, it IS the internet after all :joyful:

Oh hey twin! We have very similar situations.. technically I too am in my fourth semester of a BSN too but it's my first real semester of 3 of nursing school. My plan is stay in it, get the RN, BSN and simultaneously complete what's left of the pre-med pre-reqs.

So my general plan is;

Spring 2015- Gen Chem 2 or BIochem + 12 nursing credits
Summer 1 and 2- Orgo Chem 1 and 2 + Biomedical Ethics (online-need for nursing program)
Fall 2015- Nursing classes + Physics 1- graduate with RN in December
Spring 2016- wait for RN license to be validated, Physics 2 + Study for MCAT
Summer 2016- Take MCAT in May, apply to med school , BSN classes + work as RN
Fall 2016- BSN classes + work as RN
Spring 2016- work as RN/ finish BSN
Summer 2016- breathe?

Not sure if that looks like something you could do but if anything take an extra year to save $.

I think finishing my degree and having something to fall back on would be ideal, rather than taking the very real chance of being left with a degree that I won't use or don't want. It is indeed a longer and more expensive route, but I do find it the more logical/feasible one.

There's one additional benefit no one has mentioned to finishing your degree... you can work occasional days during holidays and summer break (first year only) for money. As a nurse (or midlevel like me), there are good paying very part-time jobs that help relieve a small bit of the financial pressure.

Reactions: 2 users
I have my BSN and work full time and I'm taking organic chem and physics. It's rough! But it doable! I also have a 10 year old and a. 2 year old.. I am 26 as well. I when I first started college at 18 I did terrible I couldn't handle working 3 jobs and a 2 year old.. I currently have a 3.00 and I have an A in both physics and organic but I am working my butt off for them! I think you should finish nursing because you are already in it. I've learned so much and I work with des all day. Now that I've been a nurse for 5.5 years I know I want to be a dr because of all my experiences with dr sand patients.. Good luck

this subject is brought up quite bit, I did the same transition and now an ER attending. look at my posts, there should be a multitude of comments, advice, threads....etc
good luck, it's worth it!

Reactions: 1 users
this subject is brought up quite bit, I did the same transition and now an ER attending. look at my posts, there should be a multitude of comments, advice, threads....etc
good luck, it's worth it!

God yes. . .along with the 50 million threads and responses on being or not being too old.

@candyvanman I would finish nursing and then take med school prereq while working... At least that was what I did as former RN (BSN)... I got my AS RN and after working for 4 years, I realized I was not going to be able to make a good career out of it because I did not enjoy it. Then I went back to school for my BSN and took med school prereq while doing my BSN. It took me a little 0ver 3 years to complete my BSN and med school prereqs because I had biologyI and general chemistryI... Now I am a MS1 and I think that was a great decision... I just did not see myself working as a nurse for 30 years... I am older than you. Getting in med school was hard and so is med school, but if you think or know your interest is aligned more with medicine, go to med school.
why did you get your bsn if you wanted to go to med school. Is that required for med school applications. If not why not just ASN?

why did you get your bsn if you wanted to go to med school. Is that required for med school applications. If not why not just ASN?
This is an older thread, I doubt that poster is around any more... but med school requires a bachelor's degree. Many ADN RNs only have one associate's degree - otherwise, if they had a previous bachelor's, they could have done an accelerated BSN instead of an associate's in the first place. I only know a couple of nurses with previous bachelor's degrees that got an ADN to become a nurse instead of an ABSN.

BSN is better career mobility than getting a bio bachelor's as well. Many hospitals are going BSN only, plus you need a BSN to apply to most NP and CRNA programs, so if you don't get into med school, having a BSN to fall back on instead of an ADN is the smarter option.

This is an older thread, I doubt that poster is around any more... but med school requires a bachelor's degree. Many ADN RNs only have one associate's degree - otherwise, if they had a previous bachelor's, they could have done an accelerated BSN instead of an associate's in the first place. I only know a couple of nurses with previous bachelor's degrees that got an ADN to become a nurse instead of an ABSN.

BSN is better career mobility than getting a bio bachelor's as well. Many hospitals are going BSN only, plus you need a BSN to apply to most NP and CRNA programs, so if you don't get into med school, having a BSN to fall back on instead of an ADN is the smarter option.

most schools require a bachelor of something but if you got stellar gpa/mcat you don't need it. 1 guy in my class didn't have one. as for bsn/adn - hospitals want bsn due to the "magnet status". back in the day bsn was considered the admin degree (charge nursing, admin, case mgt...etc) and adn/lpn was the worker bees. obviously you gotta keep up with the joness' and it's phd/msn/bsn. doesn't matter, nursing school does little for med school pre reqs. you get the usual eng, his, soc...etc but mat, phy, chem, org, bio is a whole diff story. I had to do an additional 3.5 yrs after bsn to complete the necessary pre reqs. also I would not use a bsn as a "backup". medicine regardless of speciality is a world apart compared to arnp/dnp/crna. there is no back up when going into medicine. it's a > 7 yr time and social consuming rigorous endurance race route filled with multiple exams, long nights, blood sweat and tears. if you choose medicine put all that you've got into it otherwise save your money, time, and reconsider options.