BU dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smilez

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through a lot of these posts, and it seems like some people aren't very happy with BU.

If anyone is a student there, or has friends there, can you give me some more insight into the school please.

At the interview they didn't give us any stats for boards/avg gpa etc so i dont know what to expect.

Right now I've gotten into Louisville and Indiana and BU, still have a couple more interviews this month...any suggestions on the best school, esp if I may want to specialize in the future?

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

im tryin to get some info on BU as well...so any input would b great :D

I can tell you that the majority of students are pretty happy here. At least most of my classmates/friends are...its a very underrated school, specially on SDN. The people who rip the school have never stepped foot in the doors, just keep that in mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with my friend Rezdawg. So far the school has stayed true for the first year and teaching what we need for the boards. Every school is going to have its positive & negative responses. We are in the clinic and Simulation learning center doing perio probing. We begin our Op dental starting next semester which is about a month away. The school is nice, room 301 you will get sick of (Because your in there for a WHOLE YEAR almost) and the technology is up to date. The atmosphere is very friendly and it is a pleasant learning environment. I agree that most people who talk trash aren't BU students. I mean if you have never went here, how do you know? If you have any questions, please feel free to email

Bill

BUdental and rezdog,

I am very interested in BU Dental .. but you know how a lot of people use BU and NYU as a "safety" school? I hope students aren't like, oh I got rejected from all my others school so now I'm at BU. I hope this does NOT happen because a lot of people are like that at my school. It bugs the eff out of me.

Also, how diverse is the class?

Thanks!

I'm interested in BU as well. BU seems a great school according to
BU students, but I wonder why the school is often underrated.
I'm genuinely curious.. :) Any ideas?

Missserica said:
BUdental and rezdog,

I am very interested in BU Dental .. but you know how a lot of people use BU and NYU as a "safety" school? I hope students aren't like, oh I got rejected from all my others school so now I'm at BU. I hope this does NOT happen because a lot of people are like that at my school. It bugs the eff out of me.

Thanks!

Missserica said:
BUdental and rezdog,

Thanks!

Although some students had no other options other than BU, I would say a good portion of the students had multiple acceptances and chose to attend BU. Its slowly getting to the point where BU is straying away from the "safety" school tag. I have some friends from home that are applying this year with pretty decent numbers and they havent heard anything. I think if I was applying this year, I wouldnt get in. Just like all schools, the competition is on the rise, so its hard to say any school is a safety school.

The class is very diverse. One of the things I like about the school. We've got all flavors, kinda like Baskin Robbins. They even have my kind (persian), with 10 of them in the class.

mychoi said:
I'm interested in BU as well. BU seems a great school according to
BU students, but I wonder why the school is often underrated.
I'm genuinely curious.. :) Any ideas?

BU has always been one of the "easier" schools to get into. Although they are becoming much more stringent in their admissions process, many outsiders still consider BU as a gimme when it comes to getting accepted. Therefore, I feel there is a general opinion that the students arent as bright as other students...throw that along with the price tag of the school, and you have yourself a dental school full of "not so bright students" who are buying themselves a dental degree. I believe that could be popular belief among applicants or students from other schools. Thats why I think people underrate BU. After spending a semester here, its obvious to me that there is a huge misconception about the school.

Rezdawg said:
Although some students had no other options other than BU, I would say a good portion of the students had multiple acceptances and chose to attend BU. Its slowly getting to the point where BU is straying away from the "safety" school tag. I have some friends from home that are applying this year with pretty decent numbers and they havent heard anything. I think if I was applying this year, I wouldnt get in. Just like all schools, the competition is on the rise, so its hard to say any school is a safety school.

The class is very diverse. One of the things I like about the school. We've got all flavors, kinda like Baskin Robbins. They even have my kind (persian), with 10 of them in the class.

LOL everywhere I go, there are Persians in this profession. We are over-represented in this field and it's a wonderful field to be a member of! Makes me proud, especially when I go to Penn or Harvard and I see a lot of persian students and professors.

Rezdawg said:
BU has always been one of the "easier" schools to get into. Although they are becoming much more stringent in their admissions process, many outsiders still consider BU as a gimme when it comes to getting accepted. Therefore, I feel there is a general opinion that the students arent as bright as other students...throw that along with the price tag of the school, and you have yourself a dental school full of "not so bright students" who are buying themselves a dental degree. I believe that could be popular belief among applicants or students from other schools. Thats why I think people underrate BU. After spending a semester here, its obvious to me that there is a huge misconception about the school.
I always thought you were Chinese for some strange reason.

the advanced standing program at BU is the most sought after program by international dentists.the class avg for students selected for the current batch is 93 on NBDE.there are many students having a score of 95,96 and the highest scorer has 99 on part1 in my class.we all chose BU over other schools and most of us think that they made the right decision.
good luck.

Audio said:
LOL everywhere I go, there are Persians in this profession. We are over-represented in this field and it's a wonderful field to be a member of! Makes me proud, especially when I go to Penn or Harvard and I see a lot of persian students and professors.

ha seriously man, i'm not persian, but noticed that there is a lot of persians in dental school. persians and mormons make up like half of the dental students!! haha jkin

omar