BU Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KateMcg

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything-good or bad-about BU Dental School? If there is anyone currently enrolled I'd Love to hear from you.
Thanks-----Kate

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I'm not a dental student, but I have heard that BU's Goldmann Dental School is incredible and one of the best in the country.

Are you headed for a career in private practice or academics? If it's the former, I don't think the dental school you attend is all that important. For the most part, all dental schools do the same thing, and when you graduate with a DDS/DMD, you're in practice without residency. If you're planning to go to residency for things like OMS (Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery) or Orthodontics, then maybe you should go to the best school possible.

BU, incidentally, has an OMS program that awards MDs through their School of Medicine to DDS/DMDs. The catch is that it's extremely competitive, you have to score damn high on the Dental Boards, and you've got to be from a great dental school. Being from BU might be a start if you want to be an OMS surgeon.

Tim of New York City.

[This message has been edited by turtleboard (edited 02-12-2000).]

I go to Tufts Dental, but I have friends who go to BU. Generally, I sense that my colleagues at BU are not happy. They seem to be especially dissatisfied with the APEX program. However, it may be possible that I've been talking to only unhappy students. I guess you'll have to form your own opinion when you enroll! In any event, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
That's interesting. I haven't interviewed at BU yet (but I'd like to!). (Tufts already told me no.) Yet, it seems to me that one of the big things that BU talks up is their APEX program. Do you know why the students are frustrated with it? Is it that they aren't getting the rotations or experiences they wanted? Do they do it too much time? too little time? Does it "take away from" their other classes? My feeling is that BU is more clinically oriented than some dental schools that don't have you in the clinics until the 3rd year--and my impression was that APEX is a big part of that "clinical experience". And if people aren't happy with APEX, then hmmmmm... (I think BU is one of the more expensive dental schools around, too.)

Also, I'd be curious to know what you think are the main differences between Tufts and BU.

Thanks in advance for your insight!

I interviewed at BU in Jan and it was great. It was probably my favorite dental school (it is just so cold). The dentist that interviewed me was an older female who really read my essay and asked me questions about it (she actually seemed interested). Obviously, she also asked about my plans for the future and at the end she just about told me that I would be getting in. Only 7 days later I received an acceptance (that was the quickest response I received). If you have any questions, email me at [email protected].
Melanie