BU vs Einstein MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unetoutepetitequestion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding between the MSTP at Einstein and the non-MSTP MD-PhD program at BU. Of course financially they are very different, since Einstein is fully funded and BU is not, but this isn't a huge issue for me as I have significant savings from working. I'm concerned about the quality of the program.

Can anyone compare the quality of the training at Einstein & at BU, both clinically & in terms of research?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Theed schools are pretty much equivalent to each other as far as reputation goes. And Einstein is, in general, a stronger research institution. Add the funding issue to that and it's a no brainer.

Thanks for your feedback... I guess the issue is that my boyfriend is doing his PhD in Boston, so I am wondering if I'm throwing away a great opportunity at Einstein by going to BU.

Thanks for your feedback... I guess the issue is that my boyfriend is doing his PhD in Boston, so I am wondering if I'm throwing away a great opportunity at Einstein by going to BU.
Unless your BF is planning on another 7-9 years in his PhD program, this would be a horrible reason to pick BU.

Again, looking for feedback on quality of training at BU vs Einstein. Not seeking relationship advice (although yes he will be there for 6-7 years) or further confirmation that the finances are different. Thanks to those of you who have answered my actual question!

Again, looking for feedback on quality of training at BU vs Einstein. Not seeking relationship advice (although yes he will be there for 6-7 years) or further confirmation that the finances are different. Thanks to those of you who have answered my actual question!
I actually did answer your question. And ignoring the financial issue is just plain dumb. I say that as someone who did and currently regrets the choice I made.

Reactions: 4 users
One of my children studied college in NYC and went back-forth to Boston using the cheap bus in chinatown for a similar issue. BU has the huge economic cost relative to Einstein at no cost.
That bus was like $20... I don't know about now with inflation and whatnot, but what a deal!

I think the answer is YES. You will have to judge if your (potentially temporary) relationship is of more value to you than your career. There is no right answer to this question.

Just to increase the N value in this discussion:

I met multiple current students ( > 5) in MSTPs and fully funded MD/PhD programs on the interview trail who also had to make the decision between BU and the program they matriculated to. Most of these students were already deep into their training or close to graduating. Every single one of them mirrored gutonc's opinion on this matter.

That bus was like $20... I don't know about now with inflation and whatnot, but what a deal!

The Fung Wah Boston-NYC bus line was closed down in 2013 for multiple safety violations. Wikipedia says they are supposed to reopen this year, but who knows. Meanwhile, there are enough efficient ways to get between Boston and NYC that I wouldn't suggest this decision hang on the existence of the Chinatown bus. Which didn't stop anywhere near Einstein anyway (like you could probably drive from AECOM to Boston almost as fast as you could get to Chinatown on public transit from there).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fung_Wah_Bus_Transportation

That said, I completely agree with other posters that Einstein is a better choice than BU. The financial issue is actually tied to the quality-of-training issue: Einstein is an NIH-funded MSTP which means the program has to answer to the NIH for its quality of training. I can't tell you what to do about your relationship though, that's an entirely personal decision.

The Fung Wah Boston-NYC bus line was closed down in 2013 for multiple safety violations. Wikipedia says they are supposed to reopen this year, but who knows. Meanwhile, there are enough efficient ways to get between Boston and NYC that I wouldn't suggest this decision hang on the existence of the Chinatown bus. Which didn't stop anywhere near Einstein anyway (like you could probably drive from AECOM to Boston almost as fast as you could get to Chinatown on public transit from there).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fung_Wah_Bus_Transportation
Bolt Bus. The one that leaves 1st Ave and 39th in an hour will get you to Boston South Station before 7 tonight and will run you $13 each way.