BU vs. Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ddalgi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At this point, i'm trying to decide btwn BU and Tufts Medical. I would appreicate your input and advice! Thanks!

BU (+):
- Slightly better location than Tufts
- Higher Rank
- More focus on research
- Get to rotate at BMC

BU (-):
- LARGE class size (200 med students + 200 masters students)
- Less renowned name

Tufts (+):
- Better name
- More focus on serving the underserved
- Smaller class size
- Newer facilities

Tufts (-):
- Slightly more expensive
- Lower Rank
- SLightly more expensive

Members don't see this ad.

bu is a better name than tufts imo, but it's probably splitting hairs and i could just as well be wrong. this isn't undergrad. location is also a LOT better. i also don't know if bu is more focused on research, or tufts on the underserved. if anything, bu might be more focused on the underserved, being the safety net hospital for the whole area. tufts definitely has WAY nicer facilities, but i don't think the price difference is insignificant. not sure, though.

on the other hand, bu seems to love accepting total weirdos like bannie22 and myself, while everyone i know who will be a first year at tufts next year is awesome. so who knows? just stay away from craigslist

At this point, i'm trying to decide btwn BU and Tufts Medical. I would appreicate your input and advice! Thanks!

BU (+):
- Higher Rank
- More focus on research
- Get to rotate at BMC

BU (-):
- Less renowned name

Tufts (+):
- Better name
- Smaller class size
- Newer facilities

Tufts (-):
- Lower Rank

I highly doubt that, with BU's primary rotation site being BMC, the underserved hospital for Boston. Also, while Tufts may have a "better name" when you tell your parents, within medicine (which is what matters) they're about the same or BU is slightly better.

I'd go with BU due to location, likely a better clinical experience through BMC then NEMC, and slightly better research opportunities.

Members don't see this ad :)
bu is a better name than tufts imo, but it's probably splitting hairs and i could just as well be wrong. this isn't undergrad. location is also a LOT better. i also don't know if bu is more focused on research, or tufts on the underserved. if anything, bu might be more focused on the underserved, being the safety net hospital for the whole area. tufts definitely has WAY nicer facilities, but i don't think the price difference is insignificant. not sure, though.

on the other hand, bu seems to love accepting total weirdos like bannie22 and myself, while everyone i know who will be a first year at tufts next year is awesome. so who knows? just stay away from craigslist

bleargh, will you be attending BU next year?

I highly doubt that, with BU's primary rotation site being BMC, the underserved hospital for Boston. Also, while Tufts may have a "better name" when you tell your parents, within medicine (which is what matters) they're about the same or BU is slightly better.

I'd go with BU due to location, likely a better clinical experience through BMC then NEMC, and slightly better research opportunities.

thanks!

Any more input? Having a similar decision on my end..Although I am leaning towards Tufts at this point..:confused:

I go to BUSM -- third year. All of our patients are underserved! BMC is a public hospital. Of the 25 schools to which I applied, I got a stronger sense of commitment to the underserved at BU than any other school , including Tufts.

As for rotations, I did a couple in the suburbs, but most of them have been at BMC. I think Tufts has quite a few elsewhere in Massachusetts, but I'll let them speak to that.

Not saying BU is "better," as they are both great places. And Boston is a great place to be a student!!

I work at Tufts and also did some training at BMC...BMC is the hub of Boston's underserved health care. It's crazy how much patient variety one sees there.

Tufts seems richer than BUMC in terms of facility...I can't speak to the caliber of students but IMO if you are really interested in underserved health care, no doubt BU > Tufts.

BU (+):
- Higher Rank
- More focus on research
- Get to rotate at BMC

BU (-):
- Less renowned name

Tufts (+):
- Better name
- Smaller class size
- Newer facilities

Tufts (-):
- Lower Rank

I think of your pluses for Tufts, two are not actually true: they don't have a better name and they don't focus more on the underserved. I think it is pretty much impossible to focus more on the underserved than BU does. Like everyone said they are THE free care hospital for the Boston area which means you are going to see just about everything there is to see there. They also have a fully comprehensive system for trying to get benefits for their patients and doing followup.

OK, I'm gonna just say it. The only advantage Tufts has over BU is that your mother's friends will be impressed with the name. In the medical community, I think BU has a better name.

I have a very good friend who is 4th year at Tufts. She has had a great experience, but she has never said anything about the school that made me wish I went there instead of BU. And some things she has told me reinforce my choice of BU. For example, she moved to western Massachusetts for her entire third year because she didn't want to do her rotations all over eastern Massachusetts.

OK, I'm gonna just say it. The only advantage Tufts has over BU is that your mother's friends will be impressed with the name. In the medical community, I think BU has a better name.

I have a very good friend who is 4th year at Tufts. She has had a great experience, but she has never said anything about the school that made me wish I went there instead of BU. And some things she has told me reinforce my choice of BU. For example, she moved to western Massachusetts for her entire third year because she didn't want to do her rotations all over eastern Massachusetts.

And their facilities are nicer then BU's

And their facilities are nicer then BU's

I get a chuckle out of these threads, "Should I choose school X or school Y"?
Hey OP, the people on this forum are really dedicated to help, but it is their opinion, they are total strangers to you. There are so many other factors than what you provided that go into a decision. I wont list them, the list is too long. So when you let us into your head, people can give you a good answer.

Do your own research and trust your gut, you will make a good decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even my tufts friends admit that BU is >> than tufts. Tufts dental, however >>>>>>>>> BU.

BU is better than tufts for an MD. Not by a huge margin, but, amongst the medical community, it is regarded more highly by most.

BU (-):

That's actually not true either. Yes there are ~180 masters students and yes there are ~180 med students, but they are for the most part in separate classes and I wouldn't group them into one class size :p

I love BU, but as my friend who is a chief resident at a prominent Boston-area hospital put it: "Tufts didn't have a Craigslist Killer, which is nice."

I love BU, but as my friend who is a chief resident at a prominent Boston-area hospital put it: "Tufts didn't have a Craigslist Killer, which is nice."

Nice, but not nearly as exciting. Cmon, there was a Lifetime movie! You can't get much better than that :D

I know Tufts may sound better because it has an amazing undergrad, but BU is very well known in the medical community. I would actually switch that from a negative to a positive for BU.

I'm surprised to hear that location of BU is consistently regarded to be better than Tufts. I live in Boston and I'm fairly certain that Tufts' main medical campus is in Chinatown and BU's main campus is in Roxbury. While neither are perfect, I don't think either has a significant edge over the other. If anything, Tufts is probably closer to the better things Boston has to offer. IMO

I'm surprised to hear that location of BU is consistently regarded to be better than Tufts. I live in Boston and I'm fairly certain that Tufts' main medical campus is in Chinatown and BU's main campus is in Roxbury. While neither are perfect, I don't think either has a significant edge over the other. If anything, Tufts is probably closer to the better things Boston has to offer. IMO
no sir, bumc is on the edge of south end.

Wow for someone who lives in boston, you of all people should know where BMC is located at.

BMC is nowhere near roxbury. Its in the southend. It is not far from dorchester but still even then it is in southend.

Though I do agree that I like what is closer to chinatown in terms of it being close to boston commons, boston public gardens, green line and orange line. Whereas it is a 10 to 15 minute walk form BMC to go to either orange line or green line stations if you don't take the BU shuttle or bus 1 there.

And in that respect i like that tufts is closer to downtown crossings and easier to get to the green line from.

However, once again BMC is not in roxbury by any means.

Ok, so while I will cocede that that is the south end, it's like 3 blocks from Roxbury. Not that that really changes anything, I guess I was just making the point that it's not really in a better neighborhood than Tufts. The South End has made great strides in recent years but down by Melnea Cass has not changed that much. Not trying to hurt anyone's feelings, just pointing that out for people who don't get out here much.

BU is on the boundary between one of the best parts of Boston and a not so great area. South End is amazing. I walk to school and to everything: bars, Shaw's, restaurants, great shopping, train station, etc. Love it and would prob stay here if I stay in Boston.

Didn't need a car until 3rd year for a few of my rotations, though most were at BMC.

I guess I'm in a similar boat choosing between the two - I officially withdrew all of my other acceptances earlier this week. I'm really torn, and I've been reading all of the old posts from this year and last year and it seems like everyone else is either torn, or has a definite opinion that seems to be somewhat colored by where they go/got accepted. Anyway, I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any specific input considering my circumstances:
-What I really want to do is clinical work - I could care less about research. Specifically, I would like to not only work with a variety of patient populations in the US but I also really want to do some rotations/work abroad. From interviewing at both schools I got the sense that while BMC was better in terms of patient population/very underserved areas, Tufts seemed more focused on clinical education itself, and on international health. It also seemed like they had a better match list (?? I don't really know much about residency programs)
-Overall impression-wise I really fell in love with Tufts when I interviewed - I hadn't really thought much about it when I applied but after interviewing it moved up to the 2 school on my ridiculous OCD spreadsheet. BU really didn't impress me much. I guess I'm worried that maybe this was just a factor of Tufts having a better interview day.
-I want to live in Cambridge, or at the very least not in Boston proper, for two reasons, first of all my boyfriend is going to Harvard Law, and secondly I want to keep my car - it seems like no matter where I go I need it for rotations, and I'm originally from Montana, so taking it home for the first two years is a pretty expensive and impractical option.
-So far anyone who is still reading this long (sorry) post is probably wondering why the hell I'm even still deciding. In fact, I had decided on Tufts when I got waitlisted at my first choice school. By kind of a fluke I hadn't withdrawn my other applications yet and got accepted at BU. Which wouldn't have been a big deal except they are offering me a scholarship (I hope it doesn't seem like I'm bragging - I'm honestly not trying to, it's just the reason for my dilemma). I hadn't really thought about money before, even though I am paying for med school myself, just because for college I made a similar decision, coming to a more expensive school (without scholarships) instead of going to cheaper ones (with scholarships), and I haven't regretted that decision for a moment.

I know there are going to be mixed responses to this, as there were previously, but I'm just trying to sort through the muddle and could use any advice.

I guess I'm in a similar boat choosing between the two - I officially withdrew all of my other acceptances earlier this week. I'm really torn, and I've been reading all of the old posts from this year and last year and it seems like everyone else is either torn, or has a definite opinion that seems to be somewhat colored by where they go/got accepted. Anyway, I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any specific input considering my circumstances:
-What I really want to do is clinical work - I could care less about research. Specifically, I would like to not only work with a variety of patient populations in the US but I also really want to do some rotations/work abroad. From interviewing at both schools I got the sense that while BMC was better in terms of patient population/very underserved areas, Tufts seemed more focused on clinical education itself, and on international health. It also seemed like they had a better match list (?? I don't really know much about residency programs)
-Overall impression-wise I really fell in love with Tufts when I interviewed - I hadn't really thought much about it when I applied but after interviewing it moved up to the 2 school on my ridiculous OCD spreadsheet. BU really didn't impress me much. I guess I'm worried that maybe this was just a factor of Tufts having a better interview day.
-I want to live in Cambridge, or at the very least not in Boston proper, for two reasons, first of all my boyfriend is going to Harvard Law, and secondly I want to keep my car - it seems like no matter where I go I need it for rotations, and I'm originally from Montana, so taking it home for the first two years is a pretty expensive and impractical option.
-So far anyone who is still reading this long (sorry) post is probably wondering why the hell I'm even still deciding. In fact, I had decided on Tufts when I got waitlisted at my first choice school. By kind of a fluke I hadn't withdrawn my other applications yet and got accepted at BU. Which wouldn't have been a big deal except they are offering me a scholarship (I hope it doesn't seem like I'm bragging - I'm honestly not trying to, it's just the reason for my dilemma). I hadn't really thought about money before, even though I am paying for med school myself, just because for college I made a similar decision, coming to a more expensive school (without scholarships) instead of going to cheaper ones (with scholarships), and I haven't regretted that decision for a moment.

I know there are going to be mixed responses to this, as there were previously, but I'm just trying to sort through the muddle and could use any advice.

Mind me asking how much the scholarship was for and whether it was merit or need-based? Did it come with your financial aid package or well before it? Just wondering what to expect, if anything...Good luck with your decision though! I think they are both great schools, and it sort of sounds like you've already made your decision. Your preference is obvious. I don't think you'd make a wrong decision either way.

I can only speak to this point but either school you could live in Cambridge, esp Central Square. You can take the red line (T) to very near Tufts and the 1/CT1 to BU. Or you can bike, which is what I do.

I would say to try to get in touch with current students to ask them some of your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.