MPH BU vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BU vs. USC

• BU

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • USC

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

peachsole

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys.
For Fall 2014, I've been accepted to Boston University's MPH in Epidemiology and USC's graduate public health program.
I live in California so going to Boston is a bit too expensive for me (with loans and stuff).

Which schools do you guys think is better?
As to finding a secure job after graduating.

Is it worth to go to BU with all that loans instead of USC?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, guys.
For Fall 2014, I've been accepted to Boston University's MPH in Epidemiology and USC's graduate public health program.
I live in California so going to Boston is a bit too expensive for me (with loans and stuff).

Which schools do you guys think is better?
As to finding a secure job after graduating.

Is it worth to go to BU with all that loans instead of USC?

In the early 2000's, USC was ranked #12 in the country among public health programs, (BU is currently tied for 11th place with University of Pittsburgh), but they don't appear anywhere in the rankings these days, probably because they are technically just a "program" versus a school, but they are accredited by the CEPH, which is what is important, and more than that USC is a prestigious place to be. If USC was still being ranked, they might well be above BU. An MPH from USC certainly sounds more prestigious than an MPH from BU.

BU is very expensive, but it's not an elite school, so I don't think BU is worth double the tuition when compared to USC, only if price is no object and you want to be on the east coast for family, or currently have a well paying job there, then BU might make sense, otherwise you're kinda throwing money down the drain. If you want to do global health, then BU really makes even less sense.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having a similar dilemma, but I'm choosing between USC and University of Michigan. I accepted my admission to Umich and just recently received my acceptance to USC. I'm not sure what to do! I know UMich has a more reputable program; however, USC is closer to home and at least in the same state where I want to work after graduation.

Does anyone have any advice/thoughts??

If you want to work in the LA after graduation, USC is the clear choice. Otherwise, umich's program is better know nationally.

BU is very expensive, but it's not an elite school, so I don't think BU is worth double the tuition when compared to USC, only if price is no object and you want to be on the east coast for family, or currently have a well paying job there, then BU might make sense

That isn't technically true though. Since USC is also a private university their graduate programs don't give an in-state tuition discount. Despite the OP living in California, the tuition at USC is going to come out to $1,400 to $1,500 per CREDIT. Just a quick look at their sites, BU has a tuition of $1,428 per credit (http://www.bu.edu/sph/admissions/financing-your-education/tuition-a-fees/) vs. USC has a tuition of $1,420 per credit (http://mph.usc.edu/financial_aid.php)

So for this person it is more about where they want to be in the end than the tuition cost since both are private institutions and have some of the highest tuition rates in the nation for MPH programs/schools.

If you want to work in the LA after graduation, USC is the clear choice. Otherwise, umich's program is better know nationally.

thanks for your reply pdesai8! i wouldn't mind staying in LA for a short time but I would ideally like to move back to the Bay Area. Do you think attending USC would still be an advantage over Umich?!

thanks for your reply pdesai8! i wouldn't mind staying in LA for a short time but I would ideally like to move back to the Bay Area. Do you think attending USC would still be an advantage over Umich?!

I would recommend looking at USC's career site for their SPH, they should list top companies/hospitals that recruit at USC. I don't think there are many bay area org's that recruit at Umich's SPH (unless you want to do consulting, in which case Umich is your best bet). If they both seem similar in terms of recruiting, I would suggest going with whichever is cheaper. Umich has a bigger draw for midwest/east coast. In california, they probably about even reputations.