Program-Specific Info / Q's Budget schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

am.otstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to realize my school selection choices are shaped by my impression, left over from undergrad apps and prep school, that name brands matter in an education. The consensus from practicing OTs seems to be that this isn't the case.

Where would you recommend someone apply if they are looking for a Masters program with a low tuition but high graduation and NBCOT pass rates? My in-state option is UIC, but you all know how much of a pipe dream that can feel like. I'm a little sad that Rush and Midwestern IL only offer the OTD now, as that's an entire additional year of living expenses and tuition I have to borrow in loans.

Members don't see this ad.

Public state schools are the cheapest, is UIC the only option you have? As for graduation and NBCOT pass rates, you can find that on the school website. Here's another resource you can use http://www.nbcot.org/school-performance you can narrow down schools by state and it will list the NBCOT pass rates for you. This might help with knowing how many schools are in your state, so hopefully that will help with your research! Good luck!

Public state schools are the cheapest, is UIC the only option you have? As for graduation and NBCOT pass rates, you can find that on the school website. Here's another resource you can use http://www.nbcot.org/school-performance you can narrow down schools by state and it will list the NBCOT pass rates for you. This might help with knowing how many schools are in your state, so hopefully that will help with your research! Good luck!

Yes, as Chicago State's programs and quality were jeopardized by the Illinois Budget Impasse, and came close to closing. Reports on teaching quality and retention rates there have been pretty grim. I am honestly wary of attending CSU or Governor's State IL when the budget crisis seems only temporarily resolved. It feels like a huge gamble on quality to me! Plus, I strongly prefer an urban campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow, I'm sorry to hear that! :( Unfortunately, I only applied to schools in California (CSUDH and San Jose, both cheap and public state schools) so I'm not knowledgeable about schools outside my area. You'll have to do some research on schools out of state if your options are limited and compare tuition prices. I have a friend that went to Chatham University and the amount of loans she'll have after graduation is around 40K (according to what she told me), which isn't too bad, considering she applied out of state. You should focus on finding schools with programs that are 2-2.5 years long if you want to save money. I believe Chatham is only 22 months long, so there's another option. =) Good luck!

Last edited:
I currently am attending Governors State; I also got an interview at Elmhurst College (MOT), which was a little cheaper than Rush and much cheaper than Midwestern before those two became OTD. But I just couldn't get past that it isn't accredited yet, and of course there is no way to predict readiness for the NBCOT. The only other school in Illinois is Chicago State, but I concur with your thoughts and I never applied there.
As for budget concerns, Governors State did just announce they were eliminating and watching a few programs that had declining enrollment, but MOT and DPT were not mentioned at all.
At GSU, last year's NBCOT pass rate was 96% - so one probably one student didn't cut it, and the graduation rates have been good.
The program has been pretty intense so far (summer Gross Anatomy was rough), but I am enjoying the small class sizes (our Kines lab and Conditions courses are divided into two sections of 14 people) and the professors always have their doors open to drop in outside of office hours. There is a trade-off in the administration of the university itself - people have had troubles with financial aid, and the computer lab, cafeteria, and library are just adequate.
But we have a very diverse cohort and we got to know the first-year PT's well, as we have a couple of classes with them.
If you have any specific questions about GSU, please feel free to message me.
Good luck with wherever you decide to go!

Last edited:
Tenn State - Nashville Campus- 40-50k

Western Michigan University - Grand Rapids Campus - 40k - 1st tier - only looks at last 60 credit hours.