Buffalo vs Midwestern-IL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school should I attend?

• Total voters

SparDent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am currently debating between attending Midwestern University Illinois and University at Buffalo. If anyone has any type of insight into which school to choose and why, it would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of living in either city, maybe Downers Grove a little more than Buffalo but, I really want to make sure I will come out of dental school in the best situation possible... clinically, educationally, and financially.

I am not a NY resident but I will become one after a year and receive instate tuition. I have estimated the cost of attending both schools for 4 years as:

Buffalo ~$277,000.00
Midwestern-IL ~$417,000.00

I am trying to figure out if the newer facilities, technology, curriculum, etc. offered at Midwestern has any added benefit that would outweigh the increased cost... Or if it is just a no brainer to attend an established program at Buffalo.

Additionally, if anyone has any information on how the "Pay As You Earn" loan repayment plan works I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I am currently debating between attending Midwestern University Illinois and University at Buffalo. If anyone has any type of insight into which school to choose and why, it would be greatly appreciated. I like the idea of living in either city, maybe Downers Grove a little more than Buffalo but, I really want to make sure I will come out of dental school in the best situation possible... clinically, educationally, and financially.

I am not a NY resident but I will become one after a year and receive instate tuition. I have estimated the cost of attending both schools for 4 years as:

Buffalo ~$277,000.00

I am trying to figure out if the newer facilities, technology, curriculum, etc. offered at Midwestern has any added benefit that would outweigh the increased cost... Or if it is just a no brainer to attend an established program at Buffalo.

Additionally, if anyone has any information on how the "Pay As You Earn" loan repayment plan works I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

No,
I would go to Buffalo without a doubt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Buffalo ~$277,000.00

Thanks!

If you assume an interest rate of 7.35% (it changed recently but I can't remember what it is now), the difference is more like:
Buffalo: 330K
Midwestern: 500K

Is this even a serious question?

Consider also that you can probably find a place to live in Buffalo that is far below the cost suggested by the school, so the final difference could be more like:

Buffalo: 280K
Midwestern: 500K

It's a no-brainer. Buffalo is a great school. Head NE my friend.

good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't been here for a while but I would definitely go for Buffalo instead of Midwestern. The first two years at Midwestern were worth your tuition, the clinical years were a mess. Nothing is organized, most faculties are new and you won't learn anything from them (prepared to be self-taught). The good thing is there's no requirements (certain number of procedures) for graduation. Buffalo is an established school, I would go there without a second thought and it's cheaper.

Go to MWU-IL.
I want less competition and more dentists with lots of debt that way I can hire clueless dentists with loads of debt to come work with for me so I can pay hygienist type wages.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously, Buffalo. But some of the comments above are for the wrong reasons. The answer is Buffalo. And the reason is money. Simple as that. Buffalo may be "established" in the sense that it has been around for a long time. But it is far from established in a way where all the kinks have been worked out. Every school is always trying to "better" themselves, whether it be for accreditation/reaccreditation, or academic reputation but in this process, the students are going to be the ones testing these new processes/classes/clinic practices. Thus the students are the ones who directly feel the failure of these trials (if they should fail, and they sometimes do). On an interview I was on before going to dental school, I got a question from an NYU professor of why I wanted to go to their school over one of the newer schools that was just starting up. I responded with something like "I want to go to an established school.... etc." The image of him shaking his head and snickering still remains in my mind after I have completed a few years at an "established" dental school. His comments were, no school has anything truly figured out. I have seen that everything is evolving and changing. Sometimes it goes smoothly, sometimes it does not. How right he was....

You go to the cheapest school possible. Its 280 vs 500k for the same product. Buffalo.

Reactions: 1 user