Buffalo waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

viaspiga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether wait list will really move? anyone with some info or previous experience please respond....

Members don't see this ad.

it says in the email

according to my recollection it says after May

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope this helps:

Last year, I interviewed post-Dec, which basically means you're interviewing for the wait list. At UB, the wait list is divided into three tiers. (Top third, middle third, bottom third) If you are placed on the wait list, you will never get a straightforward answer from Barbara as to whether you will get in or not because there really is no way to gauge for how many of the students accepted on 12/1 are going to actually accept their invitation to attend. Hence, she will tell you that it varies each year, but to check back after April. For me, I was wait listed after my interview in January,2011 and was placed in the middle third. Historically, (and this is by no means indicative of what will happen now or in the future) you have a pretty good shot of getting in if you're in the top third, a slight chance if you're in the middle, and basically not too good of a shot if you're in the bottom. Unfortunately, I did not make it off of the list, but I reapplied this cycle, got an interview in early September, and got an acceptance on 12/1. My best word of advice is to frequently check in with Dr. Brown and Barbara, keep shadowing/volunteering, and just keep them abreast of your progress.

As a side note, when I interviewed in September, one of the students that stopped by the "waiting room" said he interviewed in January (so he interviewed for the wait list) and he was placed in the top third, and then he received a call one week later notifying him of his acceptance.

All in all, just keep in touch with them so you stand out from the rest. Make sure they know your name and that you really want it. Keep the faith!

I hope this helps:

Last year, I interviewed post-Dec, which basically means you're interviewing for the wait list. At UB, the wait list is divided into three tiers. (Top third, middle third, bottom third) If you are placed on the wait list, you will never get a straightforward answer from Barbara as to whether you will get in or not because there really is no way to gauge for how many of the students accepted on 12/1 are going to actually accept their invitation to attend. Hence, she will tell you that it varies each year, but to check back after April. For me, I was wait listed after my interview in January,2011 and was placed in the middle third. Historically, (and this is by no means indicative of what will happen now or in the future) you have a pretty good shot of getting in if you're in the top third, a slight chance if you're in the middle, and basically not too good of a shot if you're in the bottom. Unfortunately, I did not make it off of the list, but I reapplied this cycle, got an interview in early September, and got an acceptance on 12/1. My best word of advice is to frequently check in with Dr. Brown and Barbara, keep shadowing/volunteering, and just keep them abreast of your progress.

As a side note, when I interviewed in September, one of the students that stopped by the "waiting room" said he interviewed in January (so he interviewed for the wait list) and he was placed in the top third, and then he received a call one week later notifying him of his acceptance.

All in all, just keep in touch with them so you stand out from the rest. Make sure they know your name and that you really want it. Keep the faith!

Thank you very much!!!

great info, thanks!
a few of the current students at our interview were accepted off the waitlist.

Last edited:
Viaspiga:

Are you on the wait list at UB? If you are, which tier are you?

from just cruising old threads, it seems they dont give out thirds until after january.

Viaspiga:

Are you on the wait list at UB? If you are, which tier are you?

Steve:

Ye, I was. I have no idea about a tier, do you know yours? I believe the school doesnt disclose this kind of information. If you know more, please let me know. Thanks

All you have to do is call Barbara and ask her which "third" you're in. When I applied for the class of 2015, I was in the middle third, but did not get in. When I applied this past summer for the class of 2016, I got an interview immediately, if that gives any hope. Crax is probably right about UB not compiling the upper, middle and bottom thirds of the wait list until after January. My guess is they're busy reviewing everything and waiting for the responses of those accepted on 12/1. I'd give a call after the first of the year and see where you stand. Keep the faith buddy!

I hope this helps:

I have an interview on 02/09.. is it really true that I will be interviewing for the waitlist? In previous threads I have seen some people being accepted almost immediately after their interview (post-dec). Anybody know the ratio of acceptances/post-dec interviews.. I think I saw somewhere that the average for Buffalo is 1(acceptance)/1.9(interviews).. does this ratio become more favorable for post-dec interviews? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
any updates anybody? has anyone called about their position on the WL?

Waitlisted at Buffalo this morning.

Got an email saying I'm an alternate this morning. Interview was on 1/5. The email said to expect no movement until april. +pissed+

I was interviewed Jan 5 as well and I called Barbara and she told me I am in the upper third. I wonder how many people there are on the list and how much does it move. Hmmm...

Got an email saying I'm an alternate this morning. Interview was on 1/5. The email said to expect no movement until april. +pissed+

Wow with your stats... I withdrew my offer a few days ago by the way so at least one spot should move?

Wow with your stats... I withdrew my offer a few days ago by the way so at least one spot should move?

Thanks for the words and the spot. Looks like it's going to be a long winter.

Just got in off the waitlist. I interviewed mid Dec. Though I'll be turning down the offer, a bit reluctantly, so that's another seat opening up. Good luck guys! Buffalo's a great school.

Just got in off the waitlist. I interviewed mid Dec. Though I'll be turning down the offer, a bit reluctantly, so that's another seat opening up. Good luck guys! Buffalo's a great school.

Did you get the same email that said don't expect movement until April?

Yeah it said that in my waitlist email. So take that with a grain of salt I suppose haha. They probably just didn't want to give us any bit of false hope is all.

Awesome, i just called today to find i'm in the upper third.

Asked if it would be appropriate, and only if it werent an inconvenience, to find out some more information as to where i stand on the waitlist.

does anyone know if they already have or when they start giving out acceptances to the waitlist. April seems kinda late right or im prob just too excited to find out lol

#27 read #21

crax just wondering when did you interview if you don't mind me asking

sure, (same as the predents link under my name) i think dec 2nd or 3rd of so.

has anyone from the upper third ever not get in and also do they rank the wait list on a first interview first accepted basis (first come first served lol) meaning if i had an interview in mid dec and some other kid had one in january i would get in first? sorry if this is confusing lol

From what i have heard SDN mostly (cup of salt needed) Buffalo gives you a numerical grade. GPS, sGPA, DAT, Shadowing, Interview, Volunteering, Research.... ect. all hold different weights. they add all the scores together and make their list.

so someone interviewing very late could be a lot higher then someone early, though i would assume if you interview early you have a higher pre-interview score. so this may help.

again this is very much hearsay, so take it with a grain of salt.

i asked if my position was likely to go to down based on future interviews being placed ahead of me and was told it could be possible (but implied unlikely)

From what i have heard SDN mostly (cup of salt needed) Buffalo gives you a numerical grade. GPS, sGPA, DAT, Shadowing, Interview, Volunteering, Research.... ect. all hold different weights. they add all the scores together and make their list.

so someone interviewing very late could be a lot higher then someone early, though i would assume if you interview early you have a higher pre-interview score. so this may help.

Nice. Thanks for the info.

Don't forget to add that they make same day decisions while you're on your tour :rolleyes:

This is essentially how it is done. Everything required to come up with an applicants score is decided by lunch time on interview day. The meeting of the committee is only to discuss and score the interview. At a later time, the scores of the interview are added to the scores from the application and the list made. Acceptances go out in waves, more acceptances than slots.

If I recall, March or April is the time when applicants can only hold one slot and/or lose deposits. Anyway, at this point applicants are forced to make a decision. This allows schools to know where they stand with their list and how many new acceptances to send out.

The Buffalo waitlist tends to move right up until matriculation. This is an unfortunate consequence of the tiny, refundable deposit.

Found out I am in the top third. I am trying not to get my hopes up!

Does the top third always get in????

i think for the most part there is a decent chance, but i cruised through alot of old waitlist threads and one recent year i think they did not take many off the waitlist, and people were upset (for whatever it's worth)

Does a POST-DEC interview automatically place me into a rejection or waitlist? OR is there a possibility of an acceptance, bypassing the waitlist :xf:? Thanks!

I can't tell you for sure but I know people in my class who interviewed post-December 1st and were accepted days later. I would expect a longer wait on average though.

Just wondering, if anyone knows or heard of ppl accepted from mid/lower third wait list?

I have never heard anybody say they are on the lower third of the waitlist. Do you think they just say middle instead of bottom third?

Last edited:
I can't tell you for sure but I know people in my class who interviewed post-December 1st and were accepted days later. I would expect a longer wait on average though.

Thanks for the info! I hope this happens to me :xf: .. buffalo is my top choice!

any updates?

Last interviews that's gonna be intense. I hope I get a call sometime soon this is my dream school. I saw two kids got calls last week that was wrongly posted in the acceptance to UAB thread of 2015

Out of curiosity.. Did everyone receive a thank you email post interview? If not, is this a good or bad sign? I was there a couple of days ago and Dr. Brown stated that we will know about the decisions in 2 weeks the latest, but most likely this week.