Bulking up as pre-med/med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted802724

Do med students have time to bulk up? If you cannot even sleep much to recover your muscles, wouldn't you lose all your muscles? How can a pre-med/med students exercise to bulk up if they cannot have enough sleep for their body to recover and gain muscles?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wake up early, lift hard, eat lots of meat. Repeat for years.

Reactions: 2 users
I usually get 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night and have no problem bulking up..... i range in weight anywhere from 190 to 215 depending on the time of year and have no trouble going back and forth....

Members don't see this ad :)
Wake up early, lift hard, eat lots of meat. Repeat for years.
I understand this part, but I'm just wondering if you're only sleeping for 4 hours or so, does all that work out and eating actually benefit you at all? Wouldn't you be just tired and gain nothing?

Manage your schedule better and sleep more. I started college at 170 squatting 225 for reps and in my senior year I squatted 405 for reps at 195 as well as deadlifting 500 beltless and running an 18:00 3 mile within 2 weeks of each other. Just make it happen if it matters to you.

Reactions: 4 users
A lot of yolked military folks barely get any sleep. Caffeine + Protein Powder seem to be good enough.

It seems like lifting is all I do these days since starting medical school. Keeps me sane.

You can for sure still make gainz. Additionally, with your sleep all jacked up, your insulin sensitivity is probably jacked up too, so some conservative lifting is probably the best thing you can do for yourself. Just keep it minimalist. Lift 3 days per week Squat/Bench day 1 Deadlift/Overhead Press day 2 Squat/Chin up day 3. Always leave a rep in the tank. Eat in a slight surplus and add calories slow. Take naps when you can and be patient. Save the hardcore lifting for summer break.

Reactions: 1 users
I gained 30 pounds of muscle during my first year of med school. If you make it a priority, it's definitely doable

I always get 8 hours of sleep, if you don't then you are cramming for your assignments. If you prioritize your time right, you will realize that lifting 5-6 days is so doable. Always make times for the GAINZ

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who started "lifting" last year on an inconsistent schedule and only recently got on a 3-4 day schedule for lifting, I think discipline is key. I never look for motivation anymore because it just leads to procrastination. So basically, make it a habit early on so even in med school, with the great amount of stress and studying, you can still pump some iron.

Also, I just want to ask the experienced lifters: do you recommend protein powder? One of my friends who's made incredible gains says he take protein powder after every session and also creatine. He was a lanky guy and now he's got ridges and ripples all over. IF you do recommend it, any idea on how to not pay $50+ for a 5 lb tub?... it seems a bit excessive

As someone who started "lifting" last year on an inconsistent schedule and only recently got on a 3-4 day schedule for lifting, I think discipline is key. I never look for motivation anymore because it just leads to procrastination. So basically, make it a habit early on so even in med school, with the great amount of stress and studying, you can still pump some iron.

Also, I just want to ask the experienced lifters: do you recommend protein powder? One of my friends who's made incredible gains says he take protein powder after every session and also creatine. He was a lanky guy and now he's got ridges and ripples all over. IF you do recommend it, any idea on how to not pay $50+ for a 5 lb tub?... it seems a bit excessive

I used a mass gainer protein powder to add a lot calories and just have it every time I lift. It is about $40 for 4 weeks of powder, which is a bit expensive but you're not going to get much better.

Do you need powder? No, but it helps you get enough protein and enough calories. If you can get enough of what you need with normal food, that works food.

Creatine: yes. Take it. It absolutely helps, and its dirt cheap. Creatine mono powder. I mix it with oj in the morning. 5 grams a day, and a 17 dollar jug lasts a month.
Protein is a must too. But for a 5 lb jug, 40-50 is the going rate. Personally I prefer Optimum Nutrition 100% whey. If you start getting more into it, casein is great too.

One piece of advice, though, buy your protein online or something.
NEVER BUY FROM GNC!!

SIDE NOTE: Idk what you take, preworkout-wise, but I feel obligated to tell you:
Do NOT take creatine and your preworkout at the same time (unless you have one of those creatine/pre combos) Obviously everyones body is different, but for many, taking them within an hour or two of each other will destroy your toilet.

I second most of the above. Creatine monohydrate is the most researched sport supplement in the world and it works. 5g a day everyday.

Protein powder is awesome solely for convenience factor. Protein and fruit is a great anytime meal that you can carry with you easily. However it is not magic. If you eat 200g of protein a day from meat for a year vs 150g from meat and 50g from whey for a year there would arguably be no difference.

Discipline beats motivation every day.

Successful med students are good at time mgt. Thus, if you wanna bulk up, you can find time.

I have some students who look like they can bench press the Statue of Liberty.

Do med students have time to bulk up? If you cannot even sleep much to recover your muscles, wouldn't you lose all your muscles? How can a pre-med/med students exercise to bulk up if they cannot have enough sleep for their body to recover and gain muscles?

Reactions: 5 users
I gained 30 pounds of muscle during my first year of med school. If you make it a priority, it's definitely doable

How much training experience did you have before? I don't want to be a stickler, but the 30 lbs wasn't all muscle. Even for newbie gains that would be stretching it (unless you had some "assistance" ;)).

That's near impossible. 30 lbs =/= 30 lbs of muscle.

Sorry, just not happening.

Yes you'll have time to bulk up but PLEASE make sure you can still fit Ortho research into your schedule.

Creatine and whey both work for sure, and yes creatine is dirt cheap and well researched. That being said, supplements are just what they sound like: to supplement the diet. After 10+ years of lifting, an exercise physiology degree complete with nutrition and sports nutrition classes and getting my CSCS (I do not however actually work as a coach, but I have maintained the certification after going back to school) I only take vitamin D3, fish oil, and a probiotic. I keep whey on hand for any time when I absolutely cannot get a meal in, which amounts to maybe once a month. Prioritize whole foods and eat in a small caloric surplus. Some supplements work, many don't, but the ones that do are for dailing in those last couple percentage points. If you don't make a paycheck based on athletic performance or your physique, put that $40 a month into the stock market instead of the supplement market.

Stepping off my soapbox now...

+1 on everything said on this post.

Protein powder is convenience-based. Sometimes its hard to choke all that solid food down!

Creatine is a must-have, I think anything else is superfluous.

Natty for sure.

I put "making gainz" down as one of my most significant experiences on my works/activites section. No regrets.

I put "making gainz" down as one of my most significant experiences on my works/activites section. No regrets.
I'm hoping that physical intimidation from my sleeve busting squirt guns gets me an automatic acceptance during my interviews... I just gotta get the interview first

I legit talked about how I've learned from the iron. Too big of an influence on my life not to talk about.

I legit talked about how I've learned from the iron. Too big of an influence on my life not to talk about.
Me too. I went from some scrawny stick-kid graduating high school weighing 135 soaking wet, to 6'2" 200ish pounds now, 8 years later. Does wonders for confidence and attitude...

Me too. I went from some scrawny stick-kid graduating high school weighing 135 soaking wet, to 6'2" 200ish pounds now, 8 years later. Does wonders for confidence and attitude...

I've tried for so long to workout and gain weight but still have nothing to show for it. I'm 6'1" and 150 pounds. Any advice you can give me?

p.s. I don't have a strong appetite and have trouble getting enough calories in, I'm sure thats the main problem.

I've tried for so long to workout and gain weight but still have nothing to show for it. I'm 6'1" and 150 pounds. Any advice you can give me?

p.s. I don't have a strong appetite and have trouble getting enough calories in, I'm sure thats the main problem.
Eat a lot. Protein shakes with milk after every workout and every run.
And squats.
And squats.
And squats.
And squats.
And more squats.
Look at a program called smolov. Ive used smolov for squats and smolov jr for bench. Its high volume and works wonders.
There's just something about doing heavy squats and lots of them that just makes everything else click into place. The rest of your lifts start going up, and your appetite increases. Keep up with that appetite and you should pack on some pounds.

And squats.
And squats.
And squats.
And squats.
And more squats.
Look at a program called smolov. Ive used smolov for squats and smolov jr for bench. Its high volume and works wonders.
There's just something about doing heavy squats and lots of them that just makes everything else click into place. The rest of your lifts start going up, and your appetite increases. Keep up with that appetite and you should pack on some pounds.

Agree with this.

Increased activities you start noticing increased appetite.

Stop for even 3 days and your body goes to ****.

And squats.
And squats.
And squats.
And squats.
And more squats.

True.
I have never really done squats consistently - that could be my problem.
I will check this out.
Thanks for the advice ~bro~
May the gainz be ever in your favor.

True.
I have never really done squats consistently - that could be my problem.
I will check this out.
Thanks for the advice ~bro~
May the gainz be ever in your favor.
Do NOT do smolov unless you're very comfortable with squatting. It's a high intermediate and advanced program. You'll snap your **** up if you don't have solid form. Go for any 5x5 program like ice cream fitness if you're a noob. The gains will be better and safer.

To add to what others have said:

Obviously you should be doing some cardio long-term for heart health and neurogenesis and whatnot, but in the short term I'd cut the cardio if you are having trouble eating enough. Sure cardio will make you more hungry, but it also will make you need to eat a ton more to make up for what you burned. High frequency lifting will stimulate the appetite just fine and it won't put you in a crazy caloric deficit.

Also, don't be afraid of fats. Fats are the easiest way to get the calories up, just try and segregate fats from carbs to an extent. For example slam the chicken and rice postworkout and have some steak with veggies drowning in olive oil later in the day when you aren't trying to spike your insulin.

If you don't look like a refrigerator by 2nd year you're doing med school wrong

Do NOT do smolov unless you're very comfortable with squatting. It's a high intermediate and advanced program. You'll snap your **** up if you don't have solid form. Go for any 5x5 program like ice cream fitness if you're a noob. The gains will be better and safer.

All that squatting as a noob would likely also lead to some serious quad dominance. If he doesn't visit snap city while on the program, it would set him up for a visit later. Deadlifts have to be in the program somewhere for basically anyone who would rather be an ortho than on an ortho's table.

I'm sorry, but Jason Blaha is the biggest scam-artist ***** on the entire internet. He has been absolutely destroyed by Dr. Layne Norton and all of his completely asinine law suits and accusations.

Do yall have time to cardio regularly like once a week or is that just too time consuming?

Mostly biking jogging?
I run at least 3 days a week and lift at least 3 days a week.
Im not a med student yet, but Ive been taking heavy science courseloads for 2 years now, and I have a wife and kids at home. If I can pull it off, you can too.

Even as a beginner I would recommend smolov, just enter only about 75% of your max instead of you full max to find your loads. That high volume of reps at a lower weight will help straighten out your form within a couple weeks with minimal risk.
And theres always smolov jr if you dont feel comfortable with the full program yet.

All that squatting as a noob would likely also lead to some serious quad dominance. If he doesn't visit snap city while on the program, it would set him up for a visit later. Deadlifts have to be in the program somewhere for basically anyone who would rather be an ortho than on an ortho's table.

So molovs routine is a no-go? Or just add in deadlifts with squats.

Weightlifting is tough.

Also the ADCOM's must be shaking their heads when they read this forum.

How much training experience did you have before? I don't want to be a stickler, but the 30 lbs wasn't all muscle. Even for newbie gains that would be stretching it (unless you had some "assistance" ;)).

That's near impossible. 30 lbs =/= 30 lbs of muscle.

Sorry, just not happening.

You guys are, of course, right; I did the calculation and ~5.5 lbs of that 30 lbs is fat weight based on bf% before any training and now. However, I didn't think that was a particularly relevant piece of information given OP's question. I had 0 weight training experience before med school.

I'm sorry, but Jason Blaha is the biggest scam-artist ***** on the entire internet. He has been absolutely destroyed by Dr. Layne Norton and all of his completely asinine law suits and accusations.
100% agree. It's not like he really invented ICF though. It's basically stronglifts + some obvious accessories.

So molovs routine is a no-go? Or just add in deadlifts with squats.

Weightlifting is tough.

Also the ADCOM's must be shaking their heads when they read this forum.
Smolov is about 5x harder than you think until you get to days of 7x5 that are within 10% of your max in less than a month. The summer between my freshman and soph year, I box squatted 485x3 and pulled 525 just doing a basic work up to 3RM routine. If you are set on Smolov, absolutely do not do it in a cut, damn near double your carb intake, and use about 80-90% of your actual max for the calculator. I'm almost certain that it is impossible to get through the entire un-doctored program with your true max. Your quads will feel like they are pulling off of the bone on the heavy days.

Smolov is about 5x harder than you think until you get to days of 7x5 that are within 10% of your max in less than a month. The summer between my freshman and soph year, I box squatted 485x3 and pulled 525 just doing a basic work up to 3RM routine. If you are set on Smolov, absolutely do not do it in a cut, damn near double your carb intake, and use about 80-90% of your actual max for the calculator. I'm almost certain that it is impossible to get through the entire un-doctored program with your true max. Your quads will feel like they are pulling off of the bone on the heavy days.

Smolov souds very intimidating