Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
it is said that students can live on NMSU campus, but how close is this on-campus housing to BCOM?
google earth it. The campus isn't too big.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent about $1000 on car hotel and flight. Im staying a few days extra to explore the city though.

Total cost for me is 535$. That's the roundtrip flight, car rental, and hotel. I'm coming from SoCal.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I spent about $1000 on car hotel and flight. Im staying a few days extra to explore the city though.

That's a good idea. I'm using this as an answer if they ask what else I have planned in Las Cruces.

I applied a week and a half ago, submitted my secondary last Wednesday, how soon should I expect to hear back for those of you with interviews already?

I applied a week and a half ago, submitted my secondary last Wednesday, how soon should I expect to hear back for those of you with interviews already?
It really didn't take long for my to get my II after submitting the secondary, so in your case I don't think you'll have to to wait too long. The school received my secondary 06/19 and I got my II 06/23.

It really didn't take long for my to get my II after submitting the secondary, so in your case I don't think you'll have to to wait too long. The school received my secondary 06/19 and I got my II 06/23.
Great! So hopefully sometime this week :) Thanks for the info.

Anyone interviewing on the 21st? Flying from NYC and the flight was $379. But I need to take a bus to Las Cruces from El Paso which I need to figure out. Anticipate it being between $600-700 dollars total for the trip.

What is everyone's stats? I'm retaking the MCAT but wondering if I'll still be eligible for an interview before those new scores come in.

What is everyone's stats? I'm retaking the MCAT but wondering if I'll still be eligible for an interview before those new scores come in.

From what I heard from a friend in your position if you said on your application that you are scheduled for a retake schools will put your application on hold until the new one comes in.

I may be wrong..someone please correct me if so.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I heard from a friend in your position if you said on your application that you are scheduled for a retake schools will put your application on hold until the new one comes in.

I may be wrong..someone please correct me if so.
I have been put on hold for a few schools however, I have received secondaries from all of the others, including BCOM. So not sure either.

I have been put on hold for a few schools however, I have received secondaries from all of the others, including BCOM. So not sure either.

Hmm I say call the Admissions office on Monday. They are realy nice at adressing any questions you have!

Thanks for the info! I have a 3.82 and a 20 MCAT, and retaking in August.
Hi can I PM you if you don't mind? Also awaiting a retake. This school is high up on my list but I've been worried about applying with my old score. Retake is in Sept btw

Hi can I PM you if you don't mind? Also awaiting a retake. This school is high up on my list but I've been worried about applying with my old score. Retake is in Sept btw
Yeah definitely PM me!

I received an interview with a 3.25 gpa and 27 mcat. I was also a college athlete and have other good experiences as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Who else will be there 8/3? I'm coming in the day before and leaving 8/4. Would love to scope out the area some.

Who else will be there 8/3? I'm coming in the day before and leaving 8/4. Would love to scope out the area some.
I will. I'm flying in from Florida a couple of days before the interview.

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering how many of you that got interviews are out of state students? I avoided applying to this school because on their website it says they're looking to recruit students from the boarderplex region. I thought I would be wasting my $$ since I am an Ohio resident. Now i regret not applying because I feel like many of you are out of state here.

thx! & good luck to those who have scheduled interviews :xf: you will rock it!

Last edited:
I am from Southern CO which may or may not have been to my advantage...

Hey everyone!

I was just wondering how many of you that got interviews are out of state students? I avoided applying to this school because on their website it says they're looking to recruit students from the boarderplex region. I thought I would be wasting my $$ since I am an Ohio resident. Now i regret not applying because I feel like many of you are out of state here.

I'm from Michigan...we share a border with Canada so I guess that was good enough for BCOM to give me an II lol

Hey everyone!

I'm from TN

Are you under 25? If so create a USAA account on their website and then you can use their discount to avoid the under 25 rental charge at car rental places. That's what I did and saved a ton of money.
Awesome advice! I saved almost $100 in underage fees, thanks man!

Hey everyone!

Last edited:
Hey everyone!

Georgia resident here.

Hey everyone!

I am an Iowa resident!

Hey everyone!

Alaskan here. FAR from the region. I say apply.

Super excited / nervous for the upcoming interview!

Reactions: 3 users
Got an II today!!!! Scheduled for 9/4

How are ya'll preparing for your interviews?

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else just get an email saying "After initial review of your application, the Admissions Committee did not recommend your application for further consideration in the BCOM admissions process."? This is almost a week after an email inviting me to do their secondary, which I have not yet submitted, so I'm a little confused lol

Did anyone else just get an email saying "After initial review of your application, the Admissions Committee did not recommend your application for further consideration in the BCOM admissions process."? This is almost a week after an email inviting me to do their secondary, which I have not yet submitted, so I'm a little confused lol

probably a glitch in their system. just call admission tomorrow and let them know.

probably a glitch in their system. just call admission tomorrow and let them know.

That's my guess, since I can still log-in to the secondary app service

Got an II today!!!! Scheduled for 9/4

How are ya'll preparing for your interviews?
With the 20MCAT wow?! Congrats. Just review your app and have a reason for why you want to go to BCOM ready.

With the 20MCAT wow?! Congrats. Just review your app and have a reason for why you want to go to BCOM ready.
I have a lot on my application, very involved in service and working with the undeserved. The MCAT isn't everything... I'm very thankful for their consideration. Thanks for the advice, I gave myself lots of time to prepare since I'm retaking the MCAT at the end of August and am focusing on that for right now.

Reactions: 5 users
How many total interviews are they giving? Anyone know?

Anyone know if they follow the two week rule like other schools? As in you find out whether or not you are accepted within two weeks after your interview.

Anyone know if they follow the two week rule like other schools? As in you find out whether or not you are accepted within two weeks after your interview.
I sure hope they do. Also wondering the same.

I sure hope they do. Also wondering the same.

i think the firs set of decicions are coming out on august 5th. plz someone correct me if im wrong.

i think the firs set of decicions are coming out on august 5th. plz someone correct me if im wrong.
I saw that on their website also! Maybe it's sooner than 2 weeks then. Mine is in early September so I hope to know by the end of that month.

I was hoping the decisions would be a little delayed after interviews.

Because I don't want to put down $3000 on a school that is one of my lower choices if I don't have to. I was hoping to hear back from some other schools first. I'm going into the BCOM interview with an open mind but the fact it is a first year school and has no government loans gives me reservations.

Reactions: 3 users
Just booked my hotel and they said there are 25 interviewees for that weekend...WOAH :scared:

IS THAT POSSIBLE?