Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you elaborate on the negative press or maybe point me in the direction of where u found it.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/burrell-com-nm-receives-pre-accreditation-from-coca.1111439/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/burrell-com-webpage.1132900/

Just from searching Burell on SDN. Regardless of the uncertainty of potentially being in the inaugural class, I'll still be applying.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what Burrell is looking for in way of students (i.e. in state vs out of state). Seems like they are giving precedence to New Mexico State students. Also how many students will be in the first class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what Burrell is looking for in way of students (i.e. in state vs out of state). Seems like they are giving precedence to New Mexico State students. Also how many students will be in the first class?

I called them to ask about In state vs Out of state, and they told me that while they are looking for students who live in the area, they REALLY want people who are willing to work in underserved areas more than anything. If you have had years of experience working with people like their target demographic, I say go for it if you are OOS

Edit: On the flip side of that, if you do not have any work with the target demographic, I would try my luck at another school.

I'm more worried about the fact that if I matriculate here I would have to get a private loan because they are not approved for federal loans. These loans run from 5-9% APR

I'm more worried about the fact that if I matriculate here I would have to get a private loan because they are not approved for federal loans. These loans run from 5-9% APR

This is a dealbreaker. Should change by next year though I think?

Just got a secondary

Reactions: 1 user
Just woke up from a nap to the secondary! Woohoo!

Reactions: 1 users
the questions are pretty interesting ha!

Can I ask where you got this info? Was it on their website?

To those with the secondary, what are the questions?

PM me if u would like

Members don't see this ad :)
To those of who received a secondary, do you guys have a glitch when you are trying to save the questions from the first page?

To those of who received a secondary, do you guys have a glitch when you are trying to save the questions from the first page?
Is the glitch you're referring to the one where anything you put in the box is gone even after saving? If so, then I'm having the same problem.

I answered the question about my worst grade and when I tried to save it, it disappeared. However, if you copy and paste it into the first question about osteopathic philosophy and then you save it, it shows up on both the question about the worst grade and the osteopathic philosophy. I really hope they get this glitch fixed!

I am having a hard time explaining a B.
But yes, unique questions!

The last essay question is tough- I'm going to take some time to think about which one I want to answer.

Can someone please PM me the secondary questions so I can start a pre-write? That would be awesome

to those who are working on the secondary, are you guys using all 500 words to explain a bad grade?!
Ideally should all of the answers be close to 500?

to those who are working on the secondary, are you guys using all 500 words to explain a bad grade?!
Ideally should all of the answers be close to 500?

No I used about 150, there's still a glitch though that replaces the third question with the answer for the first. I emailed admissions about this.

They are provisionally accredited, therefore they do not have access to loans in at least the first year. This is true for every new school that has opened, from what I have read.

You can google rates for any private med school loan.

http://bcomnm.org/about-bcom/the-college/accreditation/
Can someone please PM me the secondary questions so I can start a pre-write? That would be awesome

If someone PM's you, will you also forward it to me. Thanks!

They are provisionally accredited, therefore they do not have access to loans in at least the first year. This is true for every new school that has opened, from what I have read.

You can google rates for any private med school loan.

http://bcomnm.org/about-bcom/the-college/accreditation/

This link doesn't state that they aren't able to offer loans. I looked on their website under their tuition/financial aid section and it doesn't mention it there either. You'd think they would mention that.

please PM me as well for the secondary questions. thanks

Secondary application submitted!

Good luck everyone!

For those of you working on your secondaries and those of you who may have already submitted you secondary, how much longer is your essay response compared to you response to your questions? I feel like my response to my worst grade is going to be longer than my response to my essay question.

I used around 455 on my essay but I'm not done with edits yet. On my questions I used around 350

Quick question, can you submit it without having the LORS? I am waiting on the Lors from professor and a DO doctor, so should I wait until those are in, or will the school just receive them automatically later?

For those of you working on your secondaries and those of you who may have already submitted you secondary, how much longer is your essay response compared to you response to your questions? I feel like my response to my worst grade is going to be longer than my response to my essay question.

My essay was slightly longer than my longest question (303 vs. 253).

Sorry for so many questions, I need some input.
I try to explain a bad grade, and honestly the reason I did not do so well because I was absolutely not interested in it. Would this look REALLY bad to admission?

The "bad grade" question is throwing me off... I never made anything lower than a C but I have more than one C in science courses...should I just choose one or talk about multiple?

Come on man, just one...

The point isn't to underscore your deficiencies (which you would be bringing a HUGE amount of attention to if you did), but rather to talk about perseverance and how what they see now is what they're getting and not the other way around....
lol okay i guess im just nervous and overthinking it :bag:

Quick question, can you submit it without having the LORS? I am waiting on the Lors from professor and a DO doctor, so should I wait until those are in, or will the school just receive them automatically later?

My pre health advisor informed me that secondary app will not be read until LOR are received

Received secondary on Thursday too!!! Has anyone received secondary from any other school?

Received secondary on Thursday too!!! Has anyone received secondary from any other school?
I've received one from CCOM and another is available on LMU-DCOM's website.

I am not going to lie, I am getting a little nervous that I haven't received a secondary invite. How long after you guys were verified did you receive your secondary invite? I was verified on Wednesday and have received CCOM secondary invite but not BCOM...

I was verified May 22 and I got the secondary earlier this week. I wouldn't worry too much though. They are probably still going through all of the applications in chronological order.

If our LORs are saved by AACOMAS (through inter folio) then we do not need to send anything else right?

Anyone noticed that you can upload a photo with your supplementary application?

I have not submitted my 2nd, so I don't know if it is mandatory to upload the photo before the submission or I can upload it anytime later after submission.

Also, is this photo for self-viewing purpose or it will be viewed by Adcom?

Has anyone else received an email for an interview yet?