Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed on the 21st and accepted the same day! Did a lot of hiking in Lincoln, White Sands, Dripping Springs, Organ, and some other ranges out in Texas as well. What a beautiful state...
Congrats man! 21 is a good number.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who sent in the acceptance form: did you receive any confirmation? I sent a notorized scanned copy of the agreement in and paid my deposit by credit card over the phone. I received a receipt via email for the payment, but I haven't heard anything regarding my agreement.

For those who sent in the acceptance form: did you receive any confirmation? I sent a notorized scanned copy of the agreement in and paid my deposit by credit card over the phone. I received a receipt via email for the payment, but I haven't heard anything regarding my agreement.

It took about 2 weeks for Dr. Arana to email me back saying she received everything.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone further explain the residencies situation for BCOM students. We apply our fourth year, but if the school is not accredited until we graduate are we still able to match to different places around the country? I am not sure how it works exactly. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you!

Can someone further explain the residencies situation for BCOM students. We apply our fourth year, but if the school is not accredited until we graduate are we still able to match to different places around the country? I am not sure how it works exactly. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thank you!
From what I understand, it works like this. They have locked in ~150-160 (this number has changed) residencies. This does NOT mean they are guaranteed, but we get to do rotations at these locations, which enables us to "get our foot in the door," or so to speak. So it increases our chance of getting into that residency, but doesn't guarantee anything. I made it a point to talk to the dean about this; we are still free to go anywhere and do any residency, wherever we want.

Reactions: 2 users
Some food for thought: @Starstuff - My boss, an attending MD who is involved with our institution's residency and fellow interviews, told me that they screen based on graduating medical college. Maybe she is just referring to specialties, because she told me specially that if I still wanted to do primary care, then it won't matter as much, but if I decided that I wanted pursue a specialty then I needed to make a wise decision on which medical program I attend.

I once thought you can just "go anywhere" for residency, but I think there are also politics and other factors involved that we aren't really aware of as premeds. I'm really trying to find/ask a DO Resident to get a better idea of what matching for Residency really involves, at least for the DO world because its what is relevant for us and it might differ slightly compared to the MD world. Hopefully we can figure these details out so that we, as incoming OMS1 students, can make the best decision for our careers in medicine! :)

I also keep hearing people say that the 3rd and 4th year rotations are 'auditions', but I thought this was mostly the case anywhere you go for medical school... (this is not a bash at BCOM, as I am a big fan of BCOM!)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
i think it matters to some degree where you went but only at certain institutions and programs. for the most part its going to be step 1 scores and performance, what specialty/competitiveness of specialty, as well as who you know (thus the away rotations help with familiarty of program with individual applying for a slot)..old thread but there are more like this
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/medical-school-rankings-do-they-matter.414904/

Last edited:
Look at RVU's first match list vs other schools that year. I do think the first match will be a bit rough. But not impossible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some food for thought: @Starstuff - My boss, an attending MD who is involved with our institution's residency and fellow interviews, told me that they screen based on graduating medical college. Maybe she is just referring to specialties, because she told me specially that if I still wanted to do primary care, then it won't matter as much, but if I decided that I wanted pursue a specialty then I needed to make a wise decision on which medical program I attend.

I once thought you can just "go anywhere" for residency, but I think there are also politics and other factors involved that we aren't really aware of as premeds. I'm really trying to find/ask a DO Resident to get a better idea of what matching for Residency really involves, at least for the DO world because its what is relevant for us and it might differ slightly compared to the MD world. Hopefully we can figure these details out so that we, as incoming OMS1 students, can make the best decision for our careers in medicine! :)

I also keep hearing people say that the 3rd and 4th year rotations are 'auditions', but I thought this was mostly the case anywhere you go for medical school... (this is not a bash at BCOM, as I am a big fan of BCOM!)

I kind of find it strange they are using the term auditions, because usually it is in reference to doing elective outside the school's hospital system. However, you cannot go anywhere for 3rd year core rotations for the vast majority of schools since they usually done at the home school. It is 4th year where the schools are more relaxed about their rotations and a good chunk of schools are okay with rotations outside their system (i.e. they can be done anywhere if approved).

Hey all,

Interviewed and was fortunate to be accepted ^_^.

Also some info for those submitting secondaries: I'm pretty sure I heard the tour guide saying something about them convening on Tuesday to review all the applicants up to the current Tuesday so if you get yours in before then, they try to read it and let people know by that Tuesday/Wednesday

Hope this is true! I thought I had been ready on the 10th and waited and never heard back... I had checked again and it turns out I never checked a box.. My payment and signature had worked, but I didn't check a box.. So I'm hoping to possibly hear a yes or no this week on an interview!

I forgot to check the box with the " I understand about the fee" and now it wont let me. Anything I can do?

Anyone know anything about getting federal aid of accepted to this school?

I forgot to check the box with the " I understand about the fee" and now it wont let me. Anything I can do?
I was able to go back and do it last week, you may want to call if you can't

Anyone know anything about getting federal aid of accepted to this school?
Plenty of information about that on the website. The school does not qualify for the first two years. However they are AS FAR IN THE PROCESS AS POSSIBLE. This is a limitation placed on all new schools, and is not unique to BCOM. If you're diligent about private loan options, you can sometimes find loans that are actually more competetive than the federal loans.

anyone from yesterday's interview hear anything? This looks like a solid school.

anyone from yesterday's interview hear anything? This looks like a solid school.

Not yet. Dr. Arana was out yesterday so they told us that we should have a decision by the end of today.

Let me just add that the interview experience was incredible! Amazing and welcoming faculty, excellent presentations, and a fun tour of the NMSU campus (which is huge by the way). Plus the area is beautiful and community is friendly! This school is going to be a beast.

Reactions: 3 users
Just received an II. :)
Reading all of your guys' positive responses, I definitely look forward to it.

Reactions: 6 users
Feeling so incredibly blessed! Just got an email for my first II EVER! It's obviously no acceptance or guarantee, but I've worked so hard to get to this point that it almost seems unreal. Second time applying to medical school and I honestly didn't have very high expectations. Hopefully I get the opportunity to join all of you guys who have already been accepted here. I've heard nothing but good things through this thread! Thanks to everybody so far for all of the helpful input!

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Just wanted to say, Congratz to all the new IIs and acceptances out there!!

Feeling so incredibly blessed! Just got an email for my first II EVER! It's obviously no acceptance or guarantee, but I've worked so hard to get to this point that it almost seems unreal. Second time applying to medical school and I honestly didn't have very high expectations. Hopefully I get the opportunity to join all of you guys who have already been accepted here. I've heard nothing but good things through this thread! Thanks to everybody so far for all of the helpful input!
I was a re-applicant like yourself before BCOM took me in. If you've got this far, then you've got what it takes to knock your interview out of the park!

Thanks everybody for the support so far! Any idea on when everybody will be scheduling their interviews? I'm in a special master's program right now so I'd have to get it to work around my classes and exams, but I would very much be interested in meeting with over interviewees before, during or even after. I've got an exam on the 15th so I was thinking maybe the 10th or 17th.

Did you get any other interviews this year?
Yes, ACOM and KCUMB. It may seem strange to a lot of people to commit to BCOM right away, but after going through a couple of interviews last cycle, I simply don't have the energy to go through the post-interview hype and then subsequent rejection. Also, I'm tired of traveling all over and a family emergency means I couldn't go even if I wanted to. These factors, as well as liking the area, the connection with NMSU, and the school's potential all sealed the deal.

Yep. BCOM is going to be a hard program to beat in my book. A HUGE part of it had to do with their faculty and every interaction I've had with them, top to bottom. I think it's going to be a really great place to learn medicine, and EVERY SINGLE STUDENT I have interacted with so far...is someone I want to spend the next few years of the struggle with. A new campus will be fantastic just from a comfort stand point. I came from a really nice Health Science Center program, and even there...you could see the wear and tear that hits after awhile. The library and campus become home, and it's nice to have a clean and advanced one.

Reactions: 7 users
I think I will schedule end of September, I am already taking a week off from work that month, so don't want to push my luck. Trying to space out my IIs.

1st off congrats to the IIs and acceptances. happy to field questions if i feel aptly able to answer them

2nd.. question. to those who've accepted a seat at BCOM - do you currently have federal loans you are paying on? I am working on paying off my federal grad plus loans including interest paid a little less than a 3rd off now with 48K left. i was going to talk to financial aid sooner or later but was wondering if you had similar situations with the prior fed loan and will now be trying to figure out the private loan thing with BCOM / maybe had some input. i think this and being part of the inaugural class are my 2 biggest issues i'm thinking through - otherwise, i like BCOM a lot and hope my little dog does too (he's fond of having a nice large tn yard to play in..so guess we'll see)

Just scheduled my interview for the 10th. Looks like I have exams every single week after that, or at least close to. Is there anybody else interviewing on the 10th?
Yeppppp. Get used to that. You will have an exam a week for at least the next three years. Lol.

1st off congrats to the IIs and acceptances. happy to field questions if i feel aptly able to answer them

2nd.. question. to those who've accepted a seat at BCOM - do you currently have federal loans you are paying on? I am working on paying off my federal grad plus loans including interest paid a little less than a 3rd off now with 48K left. i was going to talk to financial aid sooner or later but was wondering if you had similar situations with the prior fed loan and will now be trying to figure out the private loan thing with BCOM / maybe had some input. i think this and being part of the inaugural class are my 2 biggest issues i'm thinking through - otherwise, i like BCOM a lot and hope my little dog does too (he's fond of having a nice large tn yard to play in..so guess we'll see)
I managed to pay my undergrad and masters off in full. Barely. And I did it without loans. But. I regret how much I worked to do that. I've already contacted BCOM to start chasing down money.

I managed to pay my undergrad and masters off in full. Barely. And I did it without loans. But. I regret how much I worked to do that. I've already contacted BCOM to start chasing down money.
who do you recommend I talk to about that..marlene?

If anyone is going there for 9/28 let me know!
I am staying over the weekend and would love to visit white sands and go hiking. Maybe we could get together for dinner or something.

I got my II while at a work meeting, in the middle of a training video. My squeals freaked out my coworkers :p

When did those of you that recently got IIs submit supplementals?

I submitted my secondary on 8/19. It looks like they review applications for interview invites every Tuesday.

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know and congratulations on an interview! I submitted my secondary on Sunday night and after reading the posts I was hoping to hear something today, but haven't yet, so a bit nervous!

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know and congratulations on an interview! I submitted my secondary on Sunday night and after reading the posts I was hoping to hear something today, but haven't yet, so a bit nervous!

Bear in mind that when the early applicants like myself submitted our secondaries, there was no backlog of secondaries to evaluate. I would imagine it takes more than a few days to get a response on a submission now. So.. nothing to worry about!

Thank you! And that is very true! I know everyone is really anxious after submitting!

Interview next week, any advice for preparing in terms of the final week? I've been preparing since the day I got the II email

ACCEPTED!! What an incredible feeling.

Reactions: 9 users
Those accepted, would you mind sharing your stats? Would be really helpful to know if I have a chance.

Last edited:
Are any of the accepted folks from the borderplex or New Mexico? Just curious on if they are only accepting those from that region.

I'm scheduled to interview on the 21st, and I'm planning to be there over the weekend to check out the area. If anyone wants to meet up for dinner or drinks, let me know!