Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a confirmation email for my interview. Im very excited. See you gunners there on 8/3 !

You got this email today?

Members don't see this ad.

You got this email today?

Yes. Heres my timeline:

Secondary submitted: 6/18
II: 6/23
Interview confirmation: 6/27

I was very prompt, I returned the secondary and II the day they were sent to me.

Edit: I live in CA so Im technically in the SW United States but not the Borderplex region they are targeting in their mission.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any information on what type of interviews they do?

According to the 2016 CIB: "Every interview candidate will be scheduled for one 30-minute Interview session with two faculty members as a team."

Reactions: 1 user
I hope I get an interview invite next week that would be so great.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow! They're getting things out quick. I was slacking on finishing up my app since my MCAT won't be scored until 7/21. Guess I'll hurry up and submit. Maybe I'll here back by the end of July. :)

Anyone here hesitant to submit their secondary? I am. Because let's face it, for most of us, this school isn't our dream school.

Anyone here hesitant to submit their secondary? I am. Because let's face it, for most of us, this school isn't our dream school.

Not sure why you sent your primary to BCOM if you had reservations about the school. I guess its better to cut your losses now if you arent interested.

Not sure why you sent your primary to BCOM if you had reservations about the school. I guess its better to cut your losses now if you arent interested.
I don't have reservations about the school and I'm very interested. It's just not one of my dream schools. I kind of want to hear back from my dream schools before submitting Burrell's secondary. Nvm, forget what I just said, I was just being cheap.

Whether or not you should submit your secondary depends on your stats and how desperate you are to get into medical school. If you're underdog, then I would try applying to this school. If not and you're still unsure, save yourself the $75.

Whether or not you should submit your secondary depends on your stats and how desperate you are to get into medical school. If you're underdog, then I would try applying to this school. If not and you're still unsure, save yourself the $75.
I am an underdog and desperate to get into medical school, I guess what I'm saying is that submitting their secondary a couple weeks later won't hurt that much right?

I am an underdog and desperate to get into medical school, I guess what I'm saying is that submitting their secondary a couple weeks later won't hurt that much right?
I wouldn't think so. The first round of interviews has dates ranging all the way to September 17th, so I don't think you'll be at a disadvantage especially with the relatively fast turnaround.

So I was looking at the tuition and fee page on the website and there's a $3,000 deposit to hold your spot in the class if accepted, and you have 30 days to pay. I'm new the whole application process is this the average deposit we should be expecting for the majority of the DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was looking at the tuition and fee page on the website and there's a $3,000 deposit to hold your spot in the class if accepted, and you have 30 days to pay. I'm new the whole application process is this the average deposit we should be expecting for the majority of the DO schools?

This is insane. Sigh, MD schools have like 100-200 dollar deposits usually.

This is insane. Sigh, MD schools have like 100-200 dollar deposits usually.

Wow that's a lot cheaper. looks like they must really want their students to be fully committed once accepted

Wow that is A LOT. That would almost completely wipe out what I have left for this whole application cycle. This is such a stressful process. I was off this weekend for my birthday and I think it left me too much time to think about what ifs. I’ll be happy to get back to work tomorrow.

did anyone send their letters of rec through interfolio?

$3,000 to reserve your spot is RIDICULOUS. However, if you want to actually attend and are serious, it's pretty smart of the school to do just that. Gotta pay to play and they want you to put your money where your mouth is.

Reactions: 3 users
$3,000 to reserve your spot is RIDICULOUS. However, if you want to actually attend and are serious, it's pretty smart of the school to do just that. Gotta pay to play and they want you to put your money where your mouth is.

Agreed. That will no doubt keep the waitlist moving

Wow thirty days is nothing. That doesn't even give the rest of my app cycle a chance to play out

I got a primary recieved email saying they would review sending out secondaries. Submitted my primary this past weekend. Anyone else get this and the get the secondary and know the timeline?

Anyone applying here with a mcat score from the new test? Anyone score below 500? Just wondering if I should give it a shot or if I shouldn't apply until I get a better score

I got a primary recieved email saying they would review sending out secondaries. Submitted my primary this past weekend. Anyone else get this and the get the secondary and know the timeline?
I got my primary received email today and 5 hrs later I got the secondary invite.

Reactions: 2 users
Just want to let anyone out there who hasn't received a confirmation email or secondary invite in a reasonable time, I would email them because they have been trying to send me an invite and it hasn't been going through to my email. One of the admissions team is working on this issue in case it is happening with other people as well.

Can anyone post the secondary questions for the rest of us that are waiting to look at ? thanks so much !

Anyone applying here with a mcat score from the new test? Anyone score below 500? Just wondering if I should give it a shot or if I shouldn't apply until I get a better score

I scored 505 and got an II

Wow, private loans will SUCK.
are you sure they are not eligible for federal loans for at least one year?

Wow, private loans will SUCK.
are you sure they are not eligible for federal loans for at least one year?
Yeah, it says so when you are submitting your secondary. You have to check the box indicating that you understand this.

I got an rejection email today after 4 days of my secondary submission (submitted last Friday, rejected today).

Feel very bad. It was really quick decision and my first rejection. Most importantly, I am not sure what went wrong. GPA: 3.4-3.5, MCAT: 26.

Should I call them to figure out the reason?

Good luck to rest of you!

I got an rejection email today after 4 days of my secondary submission (submitted last Friday, rejected today).

Feel very bad. It was really quick decision and my first rejection. Most importantly, I am not sure what went wrong. GPA: 3.4-3.5, MCAT: 26.

Odd, you should call them and ask for feedback. If you do feel comfortable sharing it, I feel that the information would be helpful for the rest of us as well.

I am confused as to why you would get rejected at a new DO school with a 3.5 and 26 MCAT pre-interview.

Odd, you should call them and ask for feedback. If you do feel comfortable sharing it, I feel that the information would be helpful for the rest of us as well.

I am confused as to why you would get rejected at a new DO school with a 3.5 and 26 MCAT pre-interview.

I guess I am the first one who received the rejection here. I am just afraid something might be wrong with my application package.... Not sure if they want to share it with me or not. Where can I find information to effectively communicate with the school for its feedback?

I'm sorry to hear this. It stung a bit getting my first rejection from CUSOM. I would email admissions and ask them about it. It's very early in the cycle so don't let it get you down. What's meant to be will be.

Also, if it's a stats issue then I expect my rejection is coming soon because my mcat is the same as yours (what was your breakdown?) and my gpa is lower

Do you have demonstrated commitment to the underserved? When I called them, they REALLY want people who are either from the area, or people who have a dedicated track record with working in underserved areas.

Also, if it's a stats issue then I expect my rejection is coming soon because my mcat is the same as yours (what was your breakdown?) and my gpa is lower

Stats wise, it makes no sense for a new DO school to reject someone with a 3.5/26 pre-interview. Especially since it seems like they are handing out interviews like candy.

Someone got an interview invite in this thread before their official MCATs were posted!

It has to be something with the actual applicant package which can only be found out if he/she calls them.

Live in the area.

Secondary submitted on June 22.

No interview yet.

that's really weird. i have almost identical stats to you. I submitted my secondary on the 23rd, haven't heard anything back.

I submitted mine on the 23rd also and haven't heard anything back yet other than a confirmation from admissions that my mcat score was received (I had emailed them to tell them it should be attached)

Hoping those II come tomorrow!

Reactions: 2 users
Stats wise, it makes no sense for a new DO school to reject someone with a 3.5/26 pre-interview. Especially since it seems like they are handing out interviews like candy.

Someone got an interview invite in this thread before their official MCATs were posted!

It has to be something with the actual applicant package which can only be found out if he/she calls them.

This school has made every indication that competetive applicants are the ones who are going to meet its mission. Stats can only get someone so far when a school is looking for a particular type of candidate.

Last edited:
I guess I am the first one who received the rejection here. I am just afraid something might be wrong with my application package.... Not sure if they want to share it with me or not. Where can I find information to effectively communicate with the school for its feedback?
It's one school. Take a deep breathe: you'll be ok. The journey is long, confusing, at times pain-staking, and at other times exhilarating. The process is a total massive crapshoot.

My cycle played out in a way I never thought it would. Yet, I'm at my dream school. Pardon the age old cliche but, "it's a marathon, not a sprint."

Obviously GPAs and MCATs don't really mean that much as people may think. Of course they are a new school but hell.. I applaud them for sticking to their guns and wanting peeps who are dedicated to serving the underserved. FWIW my bff got an II but she has experience with multiple different mobile health clinics. Her stats are nowhere near the 3.6 GPA but MCAT was 26.

It actually does make sense. BCOM explicitly states, "BCOM seeks to recruit and admit students from
the Borderplex region, from New Mexico and the surrounding regions who have shown commitment in serving the medically underserved, rural areas of the state and the region. Part of BCOM’s Mission is to recruit students from Hispanic and Native American ancestry, however, all qualified appli- cants will be considered."

This school has made every indication that competetive applicants are the ones who are going to meet its mission. Stats can only get someone so far when a school is looking for a particular type of candidate.

I'm not applying to this school so I haven't paid much attention to its mission. I'm sorry for assuming that its like 95 percent of all the other med schools in the usa who place such a giant emphasis on stats alone.

There approach to selecting applicants is very interesting.

Idk why but I'm actually excited about seeing this school and what it has to offer.

Obviously GPAs and MCATs don't really mean that much as people may think. Of course they are a new school but hell.. I applaud them for sticking to their guns and wanting peeps who are dedicated to serving the underserved. FWIW my bff got an II but she has experience with multiple different mobile health clinics. Her stats are nowhere near the 3.6 GPA but MCAT was 26.

Lets not Kid ourselves here. The only time stats aren't the most important thing to med school admissions (md and DO) is when a school is highly mission based focused like kycom, the md hbcus, this new school etc.

All the EC in the world won't save you with bad stats at most med schools