Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have my interview on the 15th, but after reading these most recent posts I am getting pretty discouraged. I truly want to go to this school and I have since the beginning. Am I just interviewing for a wait-list spot? People with better stats than me have been getting waitlisted

I think it'll depend on whether or not they filled up the class already and how well they think you fit their mission.

Members don't see this ad.

honestly you're probably going to see half the current admitted drop out by the end of the cycle. Don't worry about it. Just make sure you let them know why you want to go to Burrell

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is an awesome school. Dr. M did a great job addressing the for profit part of the school. I'm appreciative of how responsive they have all been.

I'm sitting in an airport on my way home.
I'm trying my best not to feel bummed about being waitlisted. :(

Reactions: 1 users
This is an awesome school. Dr. M did a great job addressing the for profit part of the school. I'm appreciative of how responsive they have all been.

Wow, they got back to you that quickly?

Wow, they got back to you that quickly?
They have a 24 hour turn around time (or less in my case). The admissions committee is very responsive.

I know some people equate for profit schools to just being a number in the system. I didn't feel that way at all.

I also interviewed today and was waitlisted! I'm bummed too.

Last edited:
This is going to be competitive, I am interested to see how they rank the waitlist

Don't worry about the waitlist guys! I expect plenty of movement, as it happens at any other school.

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted... do you guys think majority of people getting put on the waitlist???

stats for those waitlisted if you guys don't mind?

If a 3.6, 28+ MCAT gets waitlisted then it's definitely because they're out of seats

stats for those waitlisted if you guys don't mind?

If a 3.6, 28+ MCAT gets waitlisted then it's definitely because they're out of seats

They've rejected people with better stats than that back when they still had plenty of seats, so stats aren't a good indicator.

They're out of seats. People are just interviewing for the waitlist. Nobody is going to do them a favor by pulling out early for that $200 unless they already commit elsewhere.

They're out of seats. People are just interviewing for the waitlist. Nobody is going to do them a favor by pulling out early for that $200 unless they already commit elsewhere.

So do you know for sure if all the offers have been sent out? And I don't suppose anyone would know about how many deposits have been put down at this point. I know previously someone had said about 100 deposits and about 150 offers.

Last edited:
Does anybody know why the dean changed his stance on for profit schools? I know he was against RVU... I am not trying to stir the pot, but genuinely curious.

Does anybody know why the dean changed his stance on for profit schools? I know he was against RVU... I am not trying to stir the pot, but genuinely curious.
From what I remember, it was because it would be the only way to really get a school started in New Mexico in a reasonable time frame in relation to NM's aging/shrinking doctor population. If BCOM went any other direction, he claimed it would have taken upwards of a decade to get a school started (taxpayer money, etc). So, they got the help of 'ol Dan so the school could get off the ground, then other investors joined in and helped spread the investment distribution. Necessary evils, or the appeal of the almighty dollar was too good depending who you ask for speculation. Anyways, I may be wrong, but that's what I remember.

Because he realized he's making a mountain out of a mole hole. The term "for profit" doesn't deserve the negative connotation that it's getting. In fact I believe a for-profit med school has more incentives to be successful.

II....complete 1.5 weeks ago

edit: so I have the option to go this Friday 10/9 or the next available is 10/29, but I can't go until 11/2. Will the situation with the waitlist be ironed out moreso in another month, or will it just get worse? I mean if I'm interviewing for a waitlist this week or a month from now, is there any real advantage to going now? I have another interview coming up on Wednesday 10/14.

Last edited:

One of the stipulations for COCA accreditation is that the school has to put a large amounts of money (we're talking tens of millions) in an escrow account in addition to the start up money necessary to actually build and create the school. This is a lot of money that has to be present up front in order for the school to open.

New Mexico is a very poor state, and while they desperately need and want a new medical school to mitigate their impending physician shortage crisis, they simply don't have the funds to support 2 medical schools (there is a small state MD school in Albuquerque). BCOM looked at all their options for non-state funding, and found that the options were:
1. Become a branch campus of a larger DO school (which would limit the autonomy of BCOM and force them to do what is best for the parent school, not necessarily for the state of New Mexico and BCOM)
2. Try to fundraise and get the money to open as a non-profit but autonomous school (conservative projections estimated it would take at least 10 years to accumulate the necessary funds)
3. Find a private investor and open the school years earlier by sacrificing the non-profit status.

In the end the school administration determined that the most viable option for moving ahead with and creating a school that could be opened quickly and operate with the best interests of both their own school and state in mind was to make it a for-profit entity financed by the Burrell family financing firm and other investors.

II today. Complete about 10 days ago. Sucks that this might all be just for a (potential) waitlist spot but it's my first interview ever so I'll take it.

QFT. they've also accepted people with 21 mcats by the boatload.
Boatload? I only remember reading about 1 person that was URM. But I haven't gone through all the threads again, I may be wrong

QFT. they've also accepted people with 21 mcats by the boatload.
Are you sure? That's a little annoying because I have a 27 and was waitlisted.. Of course I know it's more than just grades but I have pretty good extra curriculars and I'm social (aka the interview wasn't awkward or anything lol) oh well congrats to those who got in, prove people wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Dudes and dudettes. hear me. they would be happy to take you. but its out of their hands when they are rapidly running out of seats. there will be more seats.

patience didn't kill the cat.

Reactions: 2 users
If you say so, but I have seen your messages on this forum for MONTHS, even though I am a lurker. These messages say a lot about you.

Totally agree!

Highly recommend you reach out to the dean via email and ask for feedback. He is very responsive! Try to address their concerns if you can.

I'll do that thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

only seen 3-4 ppl < 23 mcat actually accepted on sdn and they had other stellar qualities that set their applications apart or fit the mission well..out of 162 seats that is not a boatload and those ppl also applied early and were complete by july...its going to be good mix of backgrounds and stats

When I interviewed last Friday, they said they had handed out 150 acceptances out of 162, and 113 people had already paid the deposit. You really have to impress them to get an acceptance at this point.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

only seen 3-4 ppl < 23 mcat actually accepted on sdn and they had other stellar qualities that set their applications apart or fit the mission well..out of 162 seats that is not a boatload and those ppl also applied early and were complete by july...its going to be good mix of backgrounds and stats
See that's what I was thinking...

When I interviewed last Friday, they said they had handed out 150 acceptances out of 162, and 113 people had already paid the deposit. You really have to impress them to get an acceptance at this point.

Wow we're close to full, but not everyone's paid so there's still time for people

II 3.6cGPA 29 (10,10,9) MCAT. I was really excited about it too, first II. I had high hopes to do rotations in Mexico and really learn how to speak Spanish. But most of the acceptances are out :/

Interviewing on the 13th. Any suggestions of which hotel to stay at? This has most likely been answered somewhere on this thread but all of the "discussion" has made it difficult to navigate.

Interviewing on the 13th. Any suggestions of which hotel to stay at? This has most likely been answered somewhere on this thread but all of the "discussion" has made it difficult to navigate.
I stayed at Fairfield, two turns and down the highway. Free breakfast, big clean room. I book through Marriott with points though
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1444190386.581985.jpg

I'll be at the towneplace suites on Friday, I'll shoot you a pic of that one when I get there

Seriously?! Only 12 acceptances left?

Are you sure? That's a little annoying because I have a 27 and was waitlisted.. Of course I know it's more than just grades but I have pretty good extra curriculars and I'm social (aka the interview wasn't awkward or anything lol) oh well congrats to those who got in, prove people wrong!

My impression of this school is that they give the least weight to The Formula of all the DO schools. Their first priority is determining if an applicant is a good fit for their mission and the culture they want to build, then they just make sure that the stats aren't a deal breaker. This school is offering acceptances based on criteria different from other schools. Here they're just looking to make sure your GPA and MCAT are above a certain threshold, and from that point on you're on equal footing with everyone else in that regard.

119 have paid their deposit as of the beginning of the week. I think they average 30 interviews a week.

The waitlist is kind of unranked. You go up or down based on who interviews after you. Stats still matter after the interview.

NMSU has a great campus. The bcom faculty and staff are friendly. Anyone interviewing now or later is likely interviewing for a waitlist spot. I say likely, given the data.

This post is not meant to discourage anyone from attending. If you're genuinely interested in this school -you should go. But I'm big on transparency. I believe in making decisions based on the most recent information.

I've complained about two schools and I have damn good reasons for complaining about each. Your generalization doesn't hold. you're entitled to your opinion but dont make factually incorrect generalizations about me like you just did.

If you had any context of my experiences at these two places you'd agree with me as well, but you don't, so you shouldn't even be posting this.
It sounds like you fell victim to the missing x-factor mission based programs tend to look for in applicants. Your GPA/MCAT/ECs may be on par with other matriculants, but when a school gives "silly" reasons for a waitlist/rejection - to me that is code for being unlikable in some way outside of your application.

I was accepted at both BCOM and SOMA, and I can tell you they are absolutely looking for a certain type of person. Numbers and ECs only get you so far with mission based programs.

My 2 cents.

Should I email the dean? I don't even know what I would say lol