Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm considering applying here. Does anyone know how to apply to the Burrell Expedited Admission Review pathway program? I couldn't find any information on the website.
I would say give them a call tomorrow because the class is filling up fast. They have a lot of deposits already. Well if you are doing it this year.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as the statements that BCOM clinical rotation sites might fall through, while there are examples of that happening at other schools, and we can't be 100% certain it won't happen at BCOM, in context I think BCOM will be pretty safe. The schools who are losing clinical rotation sites are either in states oversaturated with medical schools who are all vying for rotation sites, or their rotation sites were far way in places without medical schools for competition, and the arrival of a new school pushed them out. BCOM is very well situated in that there is only one other medical school in the state, and it is a small medical school with no need to look outside Albuquerque for its rotations. Also, New Mexico desperately needs a new medical school and is thrilled to have BCOM. BCOM has a degree of support within the state that is virtually unheard of. Hospitals in the area, namely the Lovelace system, have approached BCOM on their own and asked to be part of the new program, so enthusiasm in New Mexico for working with BCOM is high. Considering that BCOM has little to no competition for rotation sites and local heath systems are genuinely excited to be working with them, it is unlikely that BCOM rotation sites will go up in smoke.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds like a lot of empty talk. Affiliated Clinical sites are meaningless until there are third/fourth year students actually rotating at them. Go to the school with the established sites just ask @Goro how fast clinical sites can evaporate.

PM me why you were waitlisted please

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all of you interviewing here. I just want to say congratulations. Regardless of what people have said on this forum, the good and bad, focus on the interview. It's your time to study the program and get everything you can out of the experience. It's also a time to sell yourself as a candidate, and to make sure that you are a fit for that program. Also, just be proud of yourself. Scoring an interview for medical school is incredible and a total gift. Enjoy it!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone, just wanted to say hi to the BCOM hopefuls again and say keep up the good work, you all are striving for amazing things! I went and bought a very nice suit today, my first suit ever!! I am very excited for my interview here. I am flying out of Oklahoma on the 28th of this month and I will be ariving in El Paso, Texas around noon. Does anyone want to meet up, eat, and maybe share a vehicle? Are there any tips out there for ways to go about getting from El Paso, TX to Las Cruces, NM in a timely manner and also get from Las Crusces back to the aiport? and are there shuttles that go from the hotels to the meeting place? Thank-You!

Hey everyone, just wanted to say hi to the BCOM hopefuls again and say keep up the good work, you all are striving for amazing things! I went and bought a very nice suit today, my first suit ever!! I am very excited for my interview here. I am flying out of Oklahoma on the 28th of this month and I will be ariving in El Paso, Texas around noon. Does anyone want to meet up, eat, and maybe share a vehicle? Are there any tips out there for ways to go about getting from El Paso, TX to Las Cruces, NM in a timely manner and also get from Las Crusces back to the aiport? and are there shuttles that go from the hotels to the meeting place? Thank-You!

There is a shuttle you can take from the airport to one of the hotels near the school. http://lascrucesshuttle.com/

But if you drive, I recommend that you get a car. If I could redo my day, that's what I would've done. I found the taxis to be unreliable. Checker cab actually stood me up on the day of the interview. It was a stressful morning.

i also say get a car if you can. its not bad of a drive from el paso to las cruces (plan for a little over an hr just in case there's traffic)...cab and uber are iffy in the area - particularly early morning ...i didnt take a shuttle so idk how that is. las cruces seems fairly easy to get around in by car. best!

There is a shuttle you can take from the airport to one of the hotels near the school. http://lascrucesshuttle.com/

But if you drive, I recommend that you get a car. If I could redo my day, that's what I would've done. I found the taxis to be unreliable. Checker cab actually stood me up on the day of the interview. It was a stressful morning.

i also say get a car if you can. its not bad of a drive from el paso to las cruces (plan for a little over an hr just in case there's traffic)...cab and uber are iffy in the area - particularly early morning ...i didnt take a shuttle so idk how that is. las cruces seems fairly easy to get around in by car. best!

Do you need to be 25 years of age to rent a car?

no but you may end up paying extra fees. i think someone posted if you rent through usaa it drops the fees for you....do a search in this thread for how to do that

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you do not have to be 25 to rent a car. Normally, they charge you extra if you're under 25. Create a USAA account and you can avoid having to pay extra. Here are the instructions I posted earlier in this thread about how to create an account with them.

They've opened up to non-military personnel and non-military related family members. I had trouble with this as well, but I figured out the process after browsing around for an hour yesterday. Follow this link here: https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/rental_cars_main?akredirect=true

Click on "find a car". Enter in the information for pickup and return, click "find my vehicle". Scroll down the page and you'll see a list of cars show up. Select the car you want and hit "book now". When it asks you for a loyalty rewards account information, just click "continue". You'll then hit a login screen for USAA. Since you don't have an account select the option on the right that says "Get started". Select "no" for the next screen when it asks you if you are already a USAA member. Fill out the application and eventually you'll get asked three questions about your association to the military. Just say no to all of the questions. You don't get counted off for not having any association. This is what I did and I was able to get all the same discounts for free.

Jeez... what happened in here?

Interviewed here today and liked it. The school is still a steel skeleton but holds the promise of doing big things next fall. The big question is can it live up to its claims? This is definitely a school for gamblers, and could result in big payoff.

Staff and admin seemed friendly. But it was the town that caught my attention. Las Cruces seems like an awesome place to live, with seemingly few drawbacks other than the heat. Haven't seen White Sands yet, but plan to make a trip there today.

@bikewolf2 @oOKawaiiOo get back to me when they give you your decision tonight, fingers crossed!

@Monster_Cat
I was recently waitlisted at BCOM and am debating on whether I should ask why I was waitlisted. Who did you contact to ask the reason for your waitlisting? Also, out of curiosity, why were you waitlisted (please pm me if you don't mind)?

Interviewed here today and liked it. The school is still a steel skeleton but holds the promise of doing big things next fall. The big question is can it live up to its claims? This is definitely a school for gamblers, and could result in big payoff.

Staff and admin seemed friendly. But it was the town that caught my attention. Las Cruces seems like an awesome place to live, with seemingly few drawbacks other than the heat. Haven't seen White Sands yet, but plan to make a trip there today.

@bikewolf2 @oOKawaiiOo get back to me when they give you your decision tonight, fingers crossed!

HOW DID YOU KNOW i INTERVIEWED TODAY?........ MOM IS THAT YOU?!

@Monster_Cat
I was recently waitlisted at BCOM and am debating on whether I should ask why I was waitlisted. Who did you contact to ask the reason for your waitlisting? Also, out of curiosity, why were you waitlisted (please pm me if you don't mind)?

Nevermind. I just saw that it's recommended that this topic should no longer be inquired about. Hoping for the best for everyone this cycle!

So I interviewed and received my Waitlisted email last week. I immediately responded, asking for feedback and how I'm ranked on the waitlist. No response.

Should I email the dean and ask him instead?

So I interviewed and received my Waitlisted email last week. I immediately responded, asking for feedback and how I'm ranked on the waitlist. No response.

Should I email the dean and ask him instead?
It's probably because they just accepted so many people and got more deposits than expected. They are saving spots for after December people and the waitlist.

It's probably because they just accepted so many people and got more deposits than expected. They are saving spots for after December people and the waitlist.
Understood. But should that mean I shouldn't try reaching out to them again?

And has anyone gotten rejected post-interview? I feel mostly everyone's getting accepted or waitlisted.

Best Psychiatrist- I am in the same boat as you (i think we interviewed the same day as well). The response I received was that no information can be released until the cycle is over. I think we just need to be patient, its still quite early and they are interviewing still.

Best Psychiatrist- I am in the same boat as you (i think we interviewed the same day as well). The response I received was that no information can be released until the cycle is over. I think we just need to be patient, its still quite early and they are interviewing still.
Thanks for the reassurance.

I'm just feeling kinda salty because they didn't respond to my email lol.

And has anyone gotten rejected post-interview? I feel mostly everyone's getting accepted or waitlisted.

It's going to be a long wait. I think we all interviewed on the same day. From speaking to the other candidates, it seems half of the group was waitlisted.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I'm just feeling kinda salty because they didn't respond to my email lol.

It seems like the people who have sent inquiries to the admissions email haven't gotten anything substantive back. The people who have gotten actual feedback and reversed decisions emailed the dean directly.

I got the email.........

Alternate list.

Whelp........ Time to drink the night away........

If I am interviewing for a slot at BCOM, I wouldn't even bother interviewing here until the month of December at the earliest. That's when slots really start to open up and you're not wasting money interviewing for a waitlisted or alternate slot.

Well they clearly told me not to reach out until the cycle was over and they would say why. I think they did not do a very good job accepting so many people at once. This caused good applicants to go elsewhere which in the end will hurt them. I think they wanted deposits more than a quality student. That's just my opinion though.

Well they clearly told me not to reach out until the cycle was over and they would say why. I think they did not do a very good job accepting so many people at once. This caused good applicants to go elsewhere which in the end will hurt them. I think they wanted deposits more than a quality student. That's just my opinion though.

The big problem was that they decided to interview super early when they shouldn't have. The other problem was that they probably should've waited to give out acceptances so they can have a better sense of their applicant pool.

It wouldn't have hurt them to do both of these couple of months later.

^ this and also they only give 30 day deadline after accepted to pay. It makes sense that their almost full but just anyone would cough up the 3,000 to secure a medical school seat. This will change and I suspect much movement from the waitlist

^ this and also they only give 30 day deadline after accepted to pay. It makes sense that their almost full but just anyone would cough up the 3,000 to secure a medical school seat. This will change and I suspect much movement from the waitlist

I honestly hope they change this policy next year, because what they're doing right now doesn't seem to be working.

I honestly hope they change this policy next year, because what they're doing right now doesn't seem to be working.
Well to help them move the waitlist around they are offering those who got accepted $200 of their $3000 to withdraw their acceptance. That is not a good incentive to let go of your seat even with multiple acceptances. I understand why they wont give a full refund, but if they want to see movement, they need to give a larger refund.

Well to help them move the waitlist around they are offering those who got accepted $200 of their $3000 to withdraw their acceptance. That is not a good incentive to let go of your seat even with multiple acceptances. I understand why they wont give a full refund, but if they want to see movement, they need to give a larger refund.

I would say $1000-$1500 refund would give me a lot of incentive to withdraw immediately.

Hey, I was looking at their clinical rotations and they have one at an academic hospital affiliated with texas tech in el paso, so this one will already have experiences with residents and medical students right?

I wonder how many deposits they have received so far?

Idk why, but I don't think the waitlist is going to move significantly.

Wow that is insane.

The big problem was that they decided to interview super early when they shouldn't have. The other problem was that they probably should've waited to give out acceptances so they can have a better sense of their applicant pool.

It wouldn't have hurt them to do both of these couple of months later.
Yeah agree if they want to get really good students they need to sell the school more than just getting spots. I know at least in my interview someone got accepted with a really low MCAT that's kinda not the best in my opinion but who knows. I know they will be a good school in the end.

I wonder how many deposits they have received so far?

Idk why, but I don't think the waitlist is going to move significantly.
They had 91 when I interviewed a month ago out of like 130 some accepted I believe.