Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On my way there now for an interview this Friday (12/4). If anyone wants to hang out tomorrow/ Friday evening, pm me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck, all of you interviewing. Just be yourself, kick back and enjoy the amazing tour and nice faculty. The interviewers are the nicest people you will ever meet and the admissions staff + faculty professors are a fun group to be around. I wish you the best of luck in joining this amazing inaugural class :)

Reactions: 4 users
This should pump some people up!

" Demand for admission to BCOM has exceeded expectations. To date, BCOM has been designated by nearly 3700 applicants for admission to the inaugural class entering in August, 2020. Admission to BCOM is highly selective. Of the 162 students currently offered admission for its 162 spaces, the average MCAT is approximately 25 (old scale) and the average GPA is 3.5. Accepted students’ MCAT and GPA have ranged as high as 36 and 3.97, respectively. Currently, BCOM has a waiting list of over 250 applicants, of whom 31 highly qualified individuals have been offered deferred acceptance to the class entering in 2017"

http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU.pdf

Ok, so if you're one of the 31 individuals who have been offered a deferred acceptance for 2017, does that also mean you're at the top of the waiting list for 2016?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so if you're one of the 31 individuals who have been offered a deferred acceptance for 2017, does that also mean you're at the top of the waiting list for 2016?
To follow that up, are they going to keep 31 deferred acceptance offers out? In other words, if some of those 31 who currently have deferred acceptances are offered acceptances for this round, will they hand those deferred acceptances down the list?

I think @OrdinaryDO was deferred acceptance but then was switched to accepted for the first class. Let me know if I'm wrong @OrdinaryDO

yes

I think @OrdinaryDO was deferred acceptance but then was switched to accepted for the first class. Let me know if I'm wrong @OrdinaryDO
Nope, you are correct. My deferred acceptance was received on a Friday (I had a tracking number) and they sent me an acceptance offer that very next Monday.

Just received II the other day. The gentleman that has been conversing with me for the last week has been extremely helpful. Very excited at the prospect of returning back to the Southwest!

Just received II the other day. The gentleman that has been conversing with me for the last week has been extremely helpful. Very excited at the prospect of returning back to the Southwest!
Congratulations, are you feeling like you will attend?

Just withdrew my seat in the class of 2020. Hope it goes to one of you! Best of luck :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, you are correct. My deferred acceptance was received on a Friday (I had a tracking number) and they sent me an acceptance offer that very next Monday.

I signed up currently for the interview on January 15th. This is later than I would have hoped, but I would not have been able to make accommodations for the interview on Monday with finals starting next week in my Masters program. Compared to the other schools that I have interviewed/conversed with, I really have loved the level of concern from the admissions. I was notified of the school later in the cycle and of the BEAR program, but I was happy to hear back after less than a week that I had received an interview. Anything can happen while at the interview, but I am pleased either way!

" Demand for admission to BCOM has exceeded expectations. To date, BCOM has been designated by nearly 3700 applicants for admission to the inaugural class entering in August, 2020. Admission to BCOM is highly selective. Of the 162 students currently offered admission for its 162 spaces, the average MCAT is approximately 25 (old scale) and the average GPA is 3.5. Accepted students’ MCAT and GPA have ranged as high as 36 and 3.97, respectively. Currently, BCOM has a waiting list of over 250 applicants, of whom 31 highly qualified individuals have been offered deferred acceptance to the class entering in 2017"

Oh man, does that mean anyone interviewing at this point is interviewing for the wait list? I really like this school and I'm interviewing on 12/10.

Oh man, does that mean anyone interviewing at this point is interviewing for the wait list? I really like this school and I'm interviewing on 12/10.
Don't worry I guarantee you there will be movement! Congrats on the interview you will do well!

Don't worry I guarantee you there will be movement! Congrats on the interview you will do well!
Thanks for the reply. I'm about to start my 12.5 hour night shift and your words were very comforting, haha!

No, also deferred acceptance.

Accepted! Deferred for 2021. What a quick turn around time decision.

Last edited:
What was the interview like?
You can't get too specific due to signing a privacy contract, but I will say this, the faculty were nice and just want you to succeed. The interviews were laid back and really made you feel like you were talking to a best friend. You can scroll through this very lengthy thread for more details if you'd like. This schools impressed be quite a bit.

You can't get too specific due to signing a privacy contract, but I will say this, the faculty were nice and just want you to succeed. The interviews were laid back and really made you feel like you were talking to a best friend. You can scroll through this very lengthy thread for more details if you'd like. This schools impressed be quite a bit.

Ditto

This might be a stupid question but how much of interview day is outside/is there a tour? Just a bit confused because I know they are still building the campus. I'm debating if I need to bring a coat because the mornings are so cold (~37 degrees), but I know it warms up by noon and I don't want to be carrying a coat around all day.

Bring a coat for sure. It was really windy and chilly on our tour. We were also eating dust because of the wind.

Just got a hold of this http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU.pdf

BCOM will have the largest sim lab in the country, they have boosted their residency position target from 300 to 600 new positions by 2020 due the success they have had creating residencies, they have created a DO-MBA and DO-MPH dual degree program, and lauched a Masters Program already. This school is absolutely fantastic. Canceling my other interview

Just got a hold of this http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU.pdf

BCOM will have the largest sim lab in the country, they have boosted their residency position target from 300 to 600 new positions by 2020 due the success they have had creating residencies, they have created a DO-MBA and DO-MPH dual degree program, and lauched a Masters Program already. This school is absolutely fantastic. Canceling my other interview
This has already been posted! Haha.

This might be a stupid question but how much of interview day is outside/is there a tour? Just a bit confused because I know they are still building the campus. I'm debating if I need to bring a coat because the mornings are so cold (~37 degrees), but I know it warms up by noon and I don't want to be carrying a coat around all day.
You should have a coat with your suit or dress-ups so I would just use that. Expect around ~50 degree weather.

Hello everyone, I will be starting the new post-bacc program at BCOM on August 2016, I look forward to meeting all of you next fall!

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, I will be starting the new post-bacc program at BCOM on August 2016, I look forward to meeting all of you next fall!
Good to have you on-board!

Oh nice! I interviewed here today and everyone was awesome.

Last edited:
Oh nice! I interviewed here today and everyone was awesome. I was seriously impressed by all the info the faculty presented. If I do happen to get in, I am definitely withdrawing from my other future interviews.
Let us know how you do! This school is amazing in how promptly they get back to their students.

Just got offered a seat in the next class today from the deferred acceptance list! I literally paid the deposit to Midwestern's AZCOM a couple hours ago... Oh cruel irony.

I haven't completely decided on which program to go with. I loved the faculty and the impression I got from Burrell, but Midwestern is a safer bet.

Last edited:
Just got offered a seat in the next class today from the deferred acceptance list! I literally paid the deposit to Midwestern's AZCOM a couple hours ago... Oh cruel irony.

I haven't completely decided on which program to go with. I loved the faculty and the impression I got from Burrell, but Midwestern is a safer bet.

Both BCOM @ NMSU and AZCOM have core rotations at residency affiliated teaching hospitals
Both also have created residency positions across specialties and primary care (BCOM has created more positions)

In terms of difference, BCOM has far greater opportunity for research because of facilities and funding available at NMSU.

BCOM will also have the largest simulation lab in the nation.

AZCOM well respected and older.

Go with whatever feels right, best fit with mission, location, etc.!

I know a AZCOM student they are happy with AZCOM.
Let us know what you pick!

Both BCOM @ NMSU and AZCOM have core rotations at residency affiliated teaching hospitals
Both also have created residency positions across specialties and primary care (BCOM has created more positions)

In terms of difference, BCOM has far greater opportunity for research because of facilities and funding available at NMSU.

BCOM will also have the largest simulation lab in the nation.

AZCOM well respected and older.

Go with whatever feels right, best fit with mission, location, etc.!

I know a AZCOM student they are happy with AZCOM.
Let us know what you pick!
BCOM will not have an Anatomy Lab (virtual lab), while AZCOM does. If you are interested in surgery this could be a difference to consider.

BCOM will not have an Anatomy Lab (virtual lab), while AZCOM does. If you are interested in surgery this could be a difference to consider.

It is my understanding that BCOM will have a hybrid gross/virtual anatomy lab with cadavers being used in the second year.

It is my understanding that BCOM will have a hybrid gross/virtual anatomy lab with cadavers being used in the second year.

They actually will have both! The virtual anatomy lab is seperate/additional but next door to the cadaver lab, both will be on the second floor.

That is true it is planned in the summer of the second year. But what about MS1 and MS2 students. It's too late for you. I believe BCOM will be a great program in the next 5 years. But the first couple of classes WILL have problems and students should be completely aware of that.
Nothing against BCOM, it's just what happens with new programs.

They actually will have both! The virtual anatomy lab is seperate/additional but next door to the cadaver lab, both will be on the second floor.

Okay that's what I thought- it's right across from the lockers! It also looks like the cadaver lab is double the size of the virtual lab (I've only looked at the floorpans a million times). I'm ready for some slicin' and dicin'.

Okay that's what I thought- it's right across from the lockers! It also looks like the cadaver lab is double the size of the virtual lab (I've only looked at the floorpans a million times). I'm ready for some slicin' and dicin'.
Will you be in the class of 2020, if so you will not be able to utilize it for the first two years, but if you want to come back your 3rd year while doing rotations, you can.

You should go with AZCOM. I'll take your seat at BCOM. I'm on the deferred list but I long for that sweet sweet Class of 2020 acceptance email.

Honestly, no one should try to compare AZCOM to BCOM- its silly. Good Choice babz, stick with AZCOM, its one of the top DO programs in the nation. End of discussion.

Honestly, no one should try to compare AZCOM to BCOM- its silly. Good Choice babz, stick with AZCOM, its one of the top DO programs in the nation. End of discussion.
Sour grapes much?

hey AZOM is fantastic, definitely a top DO program. BCOM is a great program in its own right as well. Many people have chosen BCOM over older schools due to residency creation, rotation strengths, research facilities, and/or location. Go with whatever fits best, you will be in good position either way