Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed. This is an honest opinion that many of students have. Instead of a being guinea pig at BCOM, the safer option is to choose a school which is already established. We will only find out about what works and doesn't work at BCOM in the future..

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. This is an honest opinion that many of students have. Instead of a being guinea pig at BCOM, the safer option is to choose a school which is already established. We will only find out about what works and doesn't work at BCOM in the future..
I don't mean this towards you Gulgis, but in general. If someone isn't in to being the inaugural class and I guess willing to be a Guinea pig, why even apply? I'd only choose really top ranked/tier programs over BCOM. After that, I feel all DO schools are the same. Enter BCOM in that pack but now with a research institute and affiliations with a public university with research available (I know it's not all top research) but it's better than being out in the woods or boonies with no research opportunities. Also having new facilities and state of the art equipment is awesome on top of the other stuff people have talked about over and over. I think SDN just brings out some neurotic people (heck sometimes I'm neurotic lol). But if you don't know all of the risks and facts going in, you haven't researched the school which means you shouldn't be applying in the first place. People said we wouldn't even have a building! Check out the live feed, it looks incredible. BCOM is keeping its end of the deal so far, I'm ready to keep my end

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have until May to drop it to get the refund. It's really no rush. I just recently got an acceptance to my home state. Fortunately that school doesn't have a deposit. I'm a working man, but I'm going to enjoy my acceptance for a while. It took me years to get it
It would be polite to decline your acceptance to the program you don't want to go to. There are many people on wait lists at either school that are anxiously awaiting news of their own acceptances. If you haven't made your decision yet, then absolutely take your time. However, that just as easily could have been you waiting for a spot to open up.

It would be polite to decline your acceptance to the program you don't want to go to. There are many people on wait lists at either school that are anxiously awaiting news of their own acceptances. If you haven't made your decision yet, then absolutely take your time. However, that just as easily could have been you waiting for a spot to open up.

I would say to keep your acceptances as long as possible in her position. You might never know, the school she really wants to go to may rescind her acceptance for some reason, although unlikely.

I would say to keep your acceptances as long as possible in her position. You might never know, the school she really wants to go to may rescind her acceptance for some reason, although unlikely.
If ONE medical school has reason to rescind an acceptance, then all of them would probably share that same reasoning for dismissal.

If ONE medical school has reason to rescind an acceptance, then all of them would probably share that same reasoning for dismissal.

This is not true. One school might say u need nothing below a C and another might say nothing lower than C- ;)

See above. There can be many reasons why a school would rescind an acceptance but another one wouldn't.

Haven't you read the story on SDN about someone who got accepted into Duke MD/PhD program but his acceptance was rescinded because of his behavior at Accepted Students Day because he got too drunk and made some inappropriate comments?

He still kept his acceptances to other schools and went to another program instead. These things are rare, but still happens nevertheless.

Agree with @Rajayray2019 . imagine if that were you waiting on an acceptance, the nerves, planning, etc. these people have to plan a move and where they're going to live haha. If you KNOW you're not coming to a school and you just hold on to hold on, you're deciding when/where (availability-there's waitlists at some apartments already) they can move for these people. What if they have kids or a family. That's pretty big news when some people decide in June or July. Imagine the stress of moving kids and trying to sell a house or find a job for your spouse. Take your time if you're still debating, but think of others too, and if you've decided against, just let them know

Reactions: 1 users
See above. There can be many reasons why a school would rescind an acceptance but another one wouldn't.

Haven't you read the story on SDN about someone who got accepted into Duke MD/PhD program but his acceptance was rescinded because of his behavior at Accepted Students Day because he got too drunk and made some inappropriate comments?

He still kept his acceptances to other schools and went to another program instead. These things are rare, but still happens nevertheless.
Can we be real here for a second and not come up with an excuse for everything. He/she has multiple acceptances and has even taunted the idea of holding on to them just because he/he "worked so hard." Yes, there may be circumstances where an acceptance may be rescinded, but of the THOUSANDS that go out I have only heard of 2 people in the last 5-10 years get theirs rescinded. Be responsible and do your due diligence and you will be covered.

Reactions: 2 users
Reading this thread I sometimes feel like I'm still in undergrad or even high school :whoa:I hope it's just stress and anonymity of some posters that does that and hopefully in real life and in class we all going to be more humane. :hello:

Agree with @Rajayray2019 . imagine if that were you waiting on an acceptance, the nerves, planning, etc. these people have to plan a move and where they're going to live haha. If you KNOW you're not coming to a school and you just hold on to hold on, you're deciding when/where (availability-there's waitlists at some apartments already) they can move for these people. What if they have kids or a family. That's pretty big news when some people decide in June or July. Imagine the stress of moving kids and trying to sell a house or find a job for your spouse. Take your time if you're still debating, but think of others too, and if you've decided against, just let them know

Maybe she even feels that she might have a 1% chance of going to BCOM. Again, she already paid the deposit to BCOM. Just because she's 99% sure of not going there doesn't mean she should give that acceptance up right away.

Many matriculants get accepted even a couple days before school starts. I don't blame those holding onto acceptances. That's just how it works. Yes, it would be nicer to give up that acceptance to those who were waitlisted, but who's to say what she should or shouldn't do? Trying to chastise or guilt someone into giving up his or her acceptance doesn't do anything and just causes more anonymosity.

Not everyone who is super wealthy gives money to the homeless, but it doesn't mean you should fault them for it or they're bad people. They worked hard and had some luck on their side and like to keep what they earned.

Last edited:
This is not true. One school might say u need nothing below a C and another might say nothing lower than C- ;)
Did you guys apply through some system I'm not aware of? Pretty sure they have our transcripts and making a C in your last semester before medical school? yikes...

Members don't see this ad :)

I feel like future medical professionals should probably have the ability to make appropriate decisions at school functions, or ANY function.

Interviewed here yesterday. Really nice location, the building looks nice (not done yet), and the staff/faculty were really interesting to talk to. Definitely my most... fun interview. And the food was nice.

Apparently their decisions happen rather quickly, so we shall see how it went!

I have had multiple acceptance and I will be holding onto my acceptance for as long as I can. There is much to consider, such as finances and family, before ultimately committing to a school. Who is to say a factor, such as a loved one finding a job, a death in the family, or even the refund a school gives, will cause me to switch the best choice for me from one school or another?

I have had multiple acceptance and I will be holding onto my acceptance for as long as I can. There is much to consider, such as finances and family, before ultimately committing to a school. Who is to say a factor, such as a loved one finding a job, a death in the family, or even the refund a school gives, will cause me to switch the best choice for me from one school or another?

You should change your status as you are an ACCEPTED medical student. You are not officially a medical student.

I got an acceptance! Well, a deferred acceptance but that's cool. Interviewed last Friday, heard back today!

Finally, I can change my status!

Reactions: 3 users
I got an acceptance! Well, a deferred acceptance but that's cool. Interviewed last Friday, heard back today!

Finally, I can change my status!
Congratulations!

P.S. It's interesting though, what is adcoms reasoning when deciding between deferred or waitlisted options? The thing is that many who are waitlisted will make it to BCOM simply due to some percentage of accepted students going elsewhere. However, if you are deferred - there is no chance you will get into BCOM this year, you have to wait another year for sure. So to some degree it is kind of a more hindrance than help, so to speak. For this reason alone I would imagine some deferred applicants may have wished to be wait-listed to stand a chance for this year. I may be completely wrong in my reasoning.

Congratulations!

P.S. It's interesting though, what is adcoms reasoning when deciding between deferred or waitlisted options? The thing is that many who are waitlisted will make it to BCOM simply due to some percentage of accepted students going elsewhere. However, if you are deferred - there is no chance you will get into BCOM this year, you have to wait another year for sure. So to some degree it is kind of a more hindrance than help, so to speak. For this reason alone I would imagine some deferred applicants may have wished to be wait-listed to stand a chance for this year. I may be completely wrong in my reasoning.

This is incorrect. Deferred acceptances are at the top of the waitlist. Most if not all of the people getting in off the waitlist are actually coming from the deferred acceptances pile. It's definitely not a hindrance at all being on the deferred acceptances list. It at least guarantees that you will have the chance to go to medical school somewhere.

This is incorrect. Deferred acceptances are at the top of the waitlist. Most if not all of the people getting in off the waitlist are actually coming from the deferred acceptances pile. It's definitely not a hindrance at all being on the deferred acceptances list. It at least guarantees that you will have the chance to go to medical school somewhere.
Oh, ok then. So deferred applicants are accepted first when/if any seats become available? It makes sense. Thank you.

You're missing my point. My comment was referring to people that know what program they're going to, or have decided NOT to attend a particular program, and hold onto the acceptances. That's silly, and inconsiderate both to their future colleagues and the faculty at that particular school. I'm sure when you DO decide what program you'd like to go to, you will do the responsible thing and withdraw your acceptance from other programs.

Maybe she even feels that she might have a 1% chance of going to BCOM. Again, she already paid the deposit to BCOM. Just because she's 99% sure of not going there doesn't mean she should give that acceptance up right away.

Many matriculants get accepted even a couple days before school starts. I don't blame those holding onto acceptances. That's just how it works. Yes, it would be nicer to give up that acceptance to those who were waitlisted, but who's to say what she should or shouldn't do? Trying to chastise or guilt someone into giving up his or her acceptance doesn't do anything and just causes more anonymosity.

Not everyone who is super wealthy gives money to the homeless, but it doesn't mean you should fault them for it or they're bad people. They worked hard and had some luck on their side and like to keep what they earned.

Again my comment was referring to people who HAVE made up their mind. I'm not sure how that got lost. Medical school is a HUGE decision and I would never encourage someone to make that decision quickly, or without the greatest amount of consideration. My point was that once you have made up your mind, and are set on a program, then it would be responsible to withdraw your other acceptances. Many people don't ever withdraw, they simply don't show up to orientation and that's how the school finds out they won't be attending. That's inconsiderate.

Again my comment was referring to people who HAVE made up their mind. I'm not sure how that got lost. Medical school is a HUGE decision and I would never encourage someone to make that decision quickly, or without the greatest amount of consideration. My point was that once you have made up your mind, and are set on a program, then it would be responsible to withdraw your other acceptances. Many people don't ever withdraw, they simply don't show up to orientation and that's how the school finds out they won't be attending. That's inconsiderate.

Are you absolutely sure that the school finds out they won't be attending due to not showing up to orientation? That's a very inefficient way of finding out when an accepted student isn't matriculating.

I think if the tuition isn't paid by a certain date before matriculation, then the school knows you're not attending, or they will contact you to see what's going on. The circumstances you are speaking of doesn't happen very often. I've heard students (very few) being accepted a couple of days before orientation, but not when orientation starts.

I think medical schools know this and have a "protection" in place for situations like these. I never notified of my withdrawals to schools, but some ended up contacting me after the due date asking me if I was really matriculating or not.

Yes, it might be inconsiderate for students who don't want to attend the school but don't withdraw asap, but considering that the deposit is a massive $3000, I would hold on to that as long as possible if I were placed in that situation. I would be a lot more cautious in throwing away $3000 than just throwing away a $100 initial deposit from another medical school. Nobody can really be absolutely 100% sure in choosing a school, unless it was better in every single way including cheaper tuition.

Last edited:
Are you absolutely sure that the school finds out they won't be attending due to not showing up to orientation? That's a very inefficient way of finding out when an accepted student isn't matriculating.

I think if the tuition isn't paid by a certain date before matriculation, then the school knows you're not attending, or they will contact you to see what's going on. The circumstances you are speaking of doesn't happen very often. I've heard students (very few) being accepted a couple of days before orientation, but not when orientation starts.

I think medical schools know this and have a "protection" in place for situations like these. I never notified of my withdrawals to schools, but some ended up contacting me after the due date asking me if I was really matriculating or not.

Yes, it might be inconsiderate for students who don't want to attend the school but don't withdraw later, but considering that the deposit is $3000, I would hold on to that as long as possible.

He is correct. Not sure if it happens everywhere else, but it happens at every Texas medical school every single year. At some schools tuition isn't due until a couple of day into class and even then, the schools won't automatically boot you. I know at least for TCOM the financial aid department understands that sometimes it takes a while before students receive their student loan money and thus aren't able to pay for tuition. They let students continue to attend class while working with them so solve their issues.

Whether you believe it or not, people DO wait and never contact a school about turning down their acceptance. They simply don't show up for orientation and that's that. I've known people who get in that way.

He is correct. Not sure if it happens everywhere else, but it happens at every Texas medical school every single year. At some schools tuition isn't due until a couple of day into class and even then, the schools won't automatically boot you. I know at least for TCOM the financial aid department understands that sometimes it takes a while before students receive their student loan money and thus aren't able to pay for tuition. They let students continue to attend class while working with them so solve their issues.

Whether you believe it or not, people DO wait and never contact a school about turning down their acceptance. They simply don't show up for orientation and that's that. I've known people who get in that way.

Interesting.

The $3000 deposit doesn't incentivize people to drop their acceptance. If BCOM made the refund $1500, then it would definitely curb this problem from happening. To me, this shouldn't be the student's responsibility, but the school's.

Interesting.

The $3000 deposit doesn't incentivize people to drop their acceptance. If BCOM made the refund $1500, then it would definitely curb this problem from happening.

I agree. A $1500 refund would much more persuade students to drop an acceptance than a $100 refund.

Yes, it might be inconsiderate for students who don't want to attend the school but don't withdraw later, but considering that the deposit is a massive $3000, I would hold on to that as long as possible, if I were placed in that situation.

Believe it or not, people actually do this. During my interview at ACOM, they mentioned a couple of individuals did this and it led to people being called up the week after orientation. One was able to make the move and start but the other deferred, I believe.

my student tour guides at nsucom - a set of identical twins who dress, talk, and style their hair differently (bc some of us could not tell they were actually sisters/twins) both accepted 1st day of orientation bc someone waited until morning of orientation day to let the school know they weren't interested. luckily they lived 30 minutes from the school and just had to spend time commuting every day for the first few weeks of school and the school worked with them to get the financial aid thing squared away for the first month

this also means for all you waitlist/deferred ppl should check in every so often to show interest if the school doesnt have a policy against updates on status

^ This. Yep.

Oh, ok then. So deferred applicants are accepted first when/if any seats become available? It makes sense. Thank you.

Yes. I remember the letter saying that if you are on the deferred list, you're at the top of the waitlist for this current cycle, but if for whatever reason you don't get in, you have number one priority to get in the next cycle. Mr. Alba said something similar if I recall after the tour.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone on on the deferred list actually WANT to be deferred? Would it be a big enough benefit not to be the "guinea pig" class to have an extra year off?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone on on the deferred list actually WANT to be deferred? Would it be a big enough benefit not to be the "guinea pig" class to have an extra year off?

Let's put it this way... I wouldn't be too upset if I had to defer a year. I'll have the opportunity to tie up any loose ends with friends and family. I wouldn't defer because I don't want to be the first class however. I'd actually like to be in that first class for various reasons, but if I got a letter saying there is no way in hell I'll be in the class of 2020, well, I can live with that.

Being on the wait list is a tough way to live

Reactions: 4 users
Being on the wait list is a tough way to live
Tell me about it. I keep hearing stories about people that were wait listed at 4-5 diff schools that didn't get into any. But then there are people that say "don't worry, last year 40% of people on the Waitlist at _____ school got in so you should be fine".

I want to believe the latter.

My friends at liberty have said it was difficult not having a class ahead of you for pointers, and resources. I'm not overly worried about that though. If it came down to first class, versus 2nd, or 3rd I'd take first all day long. Especially at this program.

My friends at liberty have said it was difficult not having a class ahead of you for pointers, and resources. I'm not overly worried about that though. If it came down to first class, versus 2nd, or 3rd I'd take first all day long. Especially at this program.
Eh, my fiancé started at a DO school before they had graduated their first class (he was like 3rd class) and even then there were many administrative kinks to work out. I would be more than happy with deferred acceptance to just relax and prepare myself for a year, and have the school patch up any major problems they encountered with the first class.

Eh, my fiancé started at a DO school before they had graduated their first class (he was like 3rd class) and even then there were many administrative kinks to work out. I would be more than happy with deferred acceptance to just relax and prepare myself for a year, and have the school patch up any major problems they encountered with the first class.

I always think about potential income loss and the amount of patients that I could possibly help in one year. For those reasons, I know a year off is not worth it for me.

I always think about potential income loss and the amount of patients that I could possibly help in one year. For those reasons, I know a year off is not worth it for me.

It depends on the person and age group, and what they want to do right now. For example, if I were 21, I would probably prefer to take a year off and relax, or do something of interest before going back to school again and never having a life for the next 8 years. That alone to me is worth more than one year's physician salary.

Also, adding into consideration that I have to get a private loan instead of a federal one, I would prefer to take another year off.

^This. I always think about this when I talk to friends already in their 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. A years worth of income could fund your entire medical school cost! :cow:

Weird question, but would HPSP recipients be able to use their scholarship for BCOM? I know you can't get federal loans but what about any federal money?

Weird question, but would HPSP recipients be able to use their scholarship for BCOM? I know you can't get federal loans but what about any federal money?

Yes, you can. About to shoot you a message.

Exciting news I hope... I just got a phone call from them and of course my phone didn't receive a message until literally just now.

Thanks AT&T, you always provide the best service!

So what do y'all think the waitlist is looking like? 100 peo? And are the applicants ranked?

So what do y'all think the waitlist is looking like? 100 peo? And are the applicants ranked?
No way to really know. It is ranked but they don't tell you. For my sake I hope it has like 10 people (which I know isn't the case).

I called them the other day to see and they didn't tell me a specific number, but said I was in the middle... so you can call them and see where you are placed. although, I think it is much more than 100 people...

Just got pulled off the DA list and now on the accepted list! Woo!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Has there been any waitlist movement? Or at least has the DA list been exhausted?