Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has there been any waitlist movement? Or at least has the DA list been exhausted?

I imagine the DA list will be replenished by the waitlist, so people should hear soon about movement.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! It's a great feeling, celebrate!

Thanks! And as for celebrating...Oh I plan on it. Probably going to catch up with my friends Jack D, Jim B, and Evan W in the meantime!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else get the email today affirming a place on the waitlist and talking about the Foundations in Biomedical Science program?

Did anyone else get the email today affirming a place on the waitlist and talking about the Foundations in Biomedical Science program?
Yup. My guess is we passed some sort of waitlist checkpoint where they maybe trimmed it down a bit.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah got this too. I wont be applying for it but I'm still trying to read into that email. Did everyone on the waitlist get this? @@@@ My peeps on the waitlist, did you all get this?? LOL

Reactions: 3 users
I also got the wait list email but I won't apply to their post bacc. In all honesty, I think it is quite pricey (about $50k) for a nine-month non-degree granting program. Yes, it is meant to be intense and prepare you for the academic load of medical school, but other schools have similar linked programs (post bacc to med school) at a masters degree level for less than half of BUCOM's price.

Best of luck to everyone! :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I didn't get the email, but I am on the deferred acceptance wait-list.
Did any folks with a DA get that email?

Yeah got this too. I wont be applying for it but I'm still trying to read into that email. Did everyone on the waitlist get this? @@@@ My peeps on the waitlist, did you all get this?? LOL

I got this email and I'm on the waitlist too!

Ok I think everyone on the waitlist got the email then...
When is the next date where people who put a deposit down need to make a decision of whether or not they will actually attend BCOM versus their other acceptances? IIRC there were Texas school dates as well that affected BCOM waitlist people.

When is the next date where people who put a deposit down need to make a decision of whether or not they will actually attend BCOM versus their other acceptances? IIRC there were Texas school dates as well that affected BCOM waitlist people.
I dont think there has been any waitlist movement at BCOM yet. The DA list has seen movement. Does anyone know when the last interview dat at BCOM is???

Can someone please send me a link/pm me to the Facebook page? I did a search and apparently a few different people were running it.

Members don't see this ad :)

I doubt anyone on DA got the email. You're already accepted. What more would they want you to prove?

Edit: Although, it really could give you something to do if you were going to have a gap year. After the coursework, you'd probably easily be in the upper quartile of your incoming medical class.

I'm also DA, and didn't get the email. Last time I talked to the admissions office, they said that they *expect* everyone who is on the DA list to eventually be offered a seat for the class of 2020, so it would make sense that they wouldn't send us emails about the biomed program. ***'s around expect because they emphasized that there are no guarantees.

I'm also DA, and didn't get the email. Last time I talked to the admissions office, they said that they *expect* everyone who is on the DA list to eventually be offered a seat for the class of 2020, so it would make sense that they wouldn't send us emails about the biomed program. ***'s around expect because they emphasized that there are no guarantees.

I'm also in the DA list and did not receive an email. Do you think we will know at least by May?

I doubt anyone on DA got the email. You're already accepted. What more would they want you to prove?

Edit: Although, it really could give you something to do if you were going to have a gap year. After the coursework, you'd probably easily be in the upper quartile of your incoming medical class.
Eh. They worded the program as a way to strengthen your application to med school, so I would definitely pass if I were on the DA list.

Hey guys. I am flying in for an interview on feb-19, tomorrow. Anyone staying at the Holiday Inn Express?

I just withdrew my acceptance here. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
When I went to sign up for my interview there were dates out into April.

When I went to sign up for my interview there were dates out into April.

oh wow these guys don't know when to stop interviewing lol!!! I'm imagining not to many people will get off from the waitlist. I feel like they just keep adding to the DA list from the interviews..

oh wow these guys don't know when to stop interviewing lol!!! I'm imagining not to many people will get off from the waitlist. I feel like they just keep adding to the DA list from the interviews..
Lol I really hope you are wrong for both our sakes! If the waitlist is as large as we think it is, they aren't just going to create a long list of people that they are going to accept only 2 from! They may as well reject all of them instead if they were going to treat the waitlist like that. Maybe it's just wishful thinking lol

IMO they are probably keeping the DA list small and the waitlist big for a reason. As they said at the interview, they have changes in their class seats almost daily.

Yes please
LOL i know when he told me he got in that DO school I was like YESSS! But BCOM does things differently i feel. Normally schools replace people who drop their seat with the waitlist but I feel BCOM just uses this as another spot to fill from people interviewing.

My personal opinion, but from a business stand point - there's no reason to really shorten the wait list. If the interview season ends and people suddenly give up their acceptances, they will still have a list of people wanting those seats.

This is so bittersweet for me. I'm received an acceptance to a top 15 business school. I know there's a wait list. I feel a little awful holding on to it.

Just finished the interview. Liked the school, hope to hear good news.

Two questions: Has any international students been accepted? Has anyone found any private loan lenders that accept the school?

Withdrew my acceptance to this school. It looks like an amazing program and a promising top DO school once they are accredited. Best of luck to everyone applying and interviewing, don't give up hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Withdrew my acceptance to this school. It looks like an amazing program and a promising top DO school once they are accredited. Best of luck to everyone applying and interviewing, don't give up hope!
Where are you going alternatively?

I'm also in the DA list and did not receive an email. Do you think we will know at least by May?
no idea, I think it's all up to where the individual is on the DA list... they say that your position can change, because it's a ranked list, not just based upon when you interviewed/got your DA, but your rank on the list is based upon whatever criteria they use like GPA/MCAT/etc.. So, theoretically people could get in front of you and that could delay your acceptance for this fall. I wouldn't worry too much though, it's just a waiting game, and if you have an extra year in the end, you can always do something interesting w/ it that you won't have had time for during/after med school.

Accepted People-
Once you heard back from BCOM that you were accepted, what happens? Do you have to pay the deposit w/in the 15 days, and then submit updated transcripts, they send you some more info, etc...? Just wondering how it all goes once you receive an acceptance.

URM? Trying to figure out why people on DA list aren't getting accepted.
I am not a urm. I think that my application fit their regional and underserved mission.

Bcom does a lot of things differently .. A normal school takes people off the waitlist when someone withdraws but Bcom just uses it as a another spot to fill from interviews lol
They must have seen something in us on the waitlist. Otherwise they would have rejected us! I'm still reserving hope that they will have a small DA list and lots of movement on the waitlist!

Bcom does a lot of things differently .. A normal school takes people off the waitlist when someone withdraws but Bcom just uses it as a another spot to fill from interviews lol

This is just not true. Many schools continue to interview through April and THEN students are pulled from the WL.