Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
no idea, I think it's all up to where the individual is on the DA list... they say that your position can change, because it's a ranked list, not just based upon when you interviewed/got your DA, but your rank on the list is based upon whatever criteria they use like GPA/MCAT/etc.. So, theoretically people could get in front of you and that could delay your acceptance for this fall. I wouldn't worry too much though, it's just a waiting game, and if you have an extra year in the end, you can always do something interesting w/ it that you won't have had time for during/after med school.

You are right, is just a matter of having patience and waiting. This year or the next

Has anyone been accepted off the normal waitlist or is it going to be looked at after the last interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been accepted off the normal waitlist or is it going to be looked at after the last interview?
It seems like they are going off interviews and the DA list for now. Is the waitlist itself also broken down into an alternate list and a waitlist??

It seems like they are going off interviews and the DA list for now. Is the waitlist itself also broken down into an alternate list and a waitlist??
Normal/alternate are the same. I just wanted to differentiate from the DA list.

Anyone know if its okay to call and check-in if we were put on the waitlist?

Anyone know if its okay to call and check-in if we were put on the waitlist?

Unless it was specifically advised against, I'd go ahead and do it. Show them that you are still interested and they can even give you an idea of where you stand on the waitlist.

Reactions: 1 user
Unless it was specifically advised against, I'd go ahead and do it. Show them that you are still interested and they can even give you an idea of where you stand on the waitlist.
At the interview they told us not to call because they won't tell you where you stand on the list (the faculty that told me this said it was bc the list shifts everyday) b

At the interview they told us not to call because they won't tell you where you stand on the list (the faculty that told me this said it was bc the list shifts everyday) b

Okay they must have recently changed this rule. I was DA and called in early Jan and was told where I was on the list. Perhaps it is different with DA. Since it was specifically advised against, I wouldn't call then. Good luck everyone.

Okay they must have recently changed this rule. I was DA and called in early Jan and was told where I was on the list. Perhaps it is different with DA. Since it was specifically advised against, I wouldn't call then. Good luck everyone.
Well DA is vastly different than the wait list. With the DA, you are definitely accepted whereas with the Waitlist you are not.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here. agreed.

Rejected via email :(
Hey I'm really sorry about BCOM's response. But I was just curious if it was because of your stats. If you don't mind, can you please let me know your GPA? Because mine is sooooo low :( I just wanted some insight. sorry for bringing this topic up after a very long time.

Hey I'm really sorry about BCOM's response. But I was just curious if it was because of your stats. If you don't mind, can you please let me know your GPA? Because mine is sooooo low :( I just wanted some insight. sorry for bringing this topic up after a very long time.
Stephanopolous ended up getting in eventually, I believe. After contacting BCOM and improving in the areas that they suggested.

This is so crazy!!! I just got an interview invite to BCOM today!!! Wow i still can't believe!

Interviewed back in November. Still have not heard anything new. #waitlisted

Reactions: 1 users
For those already accepted and currently on the FB group, would it be okay to join the group if one is on the DA list?

Thank you!

I interviewed on Monday and I was given a DA, good luck to everyone that is still waiting on a response!

I interviewed on Monday and I was given a DA, good luck to everyone that is still waiting on a response!

Congrats. There's been a lot of movement. It took me less than a week to get off the DA if I remember correctly.

question to those on the DA list: are all of you planning on attending if you are taken off for this year or matriculating next year?

Do they only look at my supplemental after they receive all the rec letters? I didn't know a DO rec letter was mandatory til I received the supplemental or else I would have tried to get one earlier. I just got one DO to agree to write me a letter. I hope he will write it in the next few days and email it to BCOM (wait emailing to the admissions email is fine right?). I just spent a couple of hours filling out the questions and writing the essay. It'll be really upsetting if they run out of seats by the time they get to my application even after ppl give up their seats by committing to other schools :shrug:. Also this may sound stupid, but what does DA exactly mean?? especially if they are accepting a ton of students!!!!

Do they only look at my supplemental after they receive all the rec letters? I didn't know a DO rec letter was mandatory til I received the supplemental or else I would have tried to get one earlier. I just got one DO to agree to write me a letter. I hope he will write it in the next few days and email it to BCOM (wait emailing to the admissions email is fine right?). I just spent a couple of hours filling out the questions and writing the essay. It'll be really upsetting if they run out of seats by the time they get to my application even after ppl give up their seats by committing to other schools :shrug:. Also this may sound stupid, but what does DA exactly mean?? especially if they are accepting a ton of students!!!!
Responded to your PM and answered some of your questions above

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hi Jasi, sorry it took me so long to respond. Yes I was initially rejected post secondary. I felt like I fit the mission for this school extremely well so I called and spoke with the dean and he changed the decision. I had nothing to lose by asking and it worked out amazing for me but to be honest I know of a couple of other applicants that tried this with no luck.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Jasi, sorry it took me so long to respond. Yes I was initially rejected post secondary. I felt like I fit the mission for this school extremely well so I called and spoke with the dean and he changed the decision. I had nothing to lose by asking and it worked out amazing for me but to be honest I know of a couple of other applicants that tried this with no luck.
I think Jasi should just talk with admissions. Best case scenario he/she gets a shot. Worst they took a second look at his/her application - that's more than most will give in this excruciatingly long/hard cycle and he/she can ask for more feedback at the adcoms convenience on how best to improve for next cycle

question to those on the DA list: are all of you planning on attending if you are taken off for this year or matriculating next year?
I would love to get a spot for this year but I have no problem waiting for next year, either way I am very happy:soexcited:

No, not a problem at all. Thank you so much for replying. That's amazing!!! I know for a fact other than my GPA, I feel like I fit in with their mission statement especially about the whole serving the undeserved( including Hispanics and Native Americans). I'm a Spanish major who also learned a lot about the indigenous population. BCOM is one of the only school that has this mission while being an osteopathic school. I couldn't ask for a better combo.

I will definitely give them a call. I am aware that it's really late in the cycle, but I guess it's worth a shot.

No, not a problem at all. Thank you so much for replying. That's amazing!!! I know for a fact other than my GPA, I feel like I fit in with their mission statement especially about the whole serving the undeserved( including Hispanics and Native Americans). I'm a Spanish major who also learned a lot about the indigenous population. BCOM is one of the only school that has this mission while being an osteopathic school. I couldn't ask for a better combo.

I will definitely give them a call. I am aware that it's really late in the cycle, but I guess it's worth a shot.
Are you already accepted elsewhere?

When is the last BCOM interview? I'm wondering when the waitlist will see movement if any.

Are you already accepted elsewhere?

No :( literally I applied so late. I don't blame these schools for not responding. I just received 2 supplementals. One is from NYITCOM, but they don't screen...so I don't what to expect. They can easily reject me after seeing my gpa :(

No :( literally I applied so late. I don't blame these schools for not responding. I just received 2 supplementals. One is from NYITCOM, but they don't screen...so I don't what to expect. They can easily reject me after seeing my gpa :(
Oh just saw the DO/PhD tag

So the waitlist is just waiting for interviews to end in April? Is it possible that there will be any more movement at that point? It seems late to be giving up acceptances...

I recall this comment earlier on this thread. I really hope s/he is right!

Hi, long time lurker, never a poster. I called earlier and they suspect that everyone on the deferred waitlist and about half of the folks on the normal waitlist will be accepted due to the burn rate of folks dropping their seat, not paying their deposits, or making other decisions. Keep in mind they are still currently interviewing so acceptances could possibly be extended to new students as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone.

Just wanted to say congratulations to those accepted and ask if anyone would be willing to help out a future applicant?

I have a meeting with Mr. Adrian Alba to talk about my overall chances of being accepted to this school and would like some advice as to things I should ask or say. I know that what I'm asking advice for is very specific to me and you all may not be able to really say much, but whatever advice you can give or whatever your thoughts are would be a help to me and very appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to say congratulations to those accepted and ask if anyone would be willing to help out a future applicant?

I have a meeting with Mr. Adrian Alba to talk about my overall chances of being accepted to this school and would like some advice as to things I should ask or say. I know that what I'm asking advice for is very specific to me and you all may not be able to really say much, but whatever advice you can give or whatever your thoughts are would be a help to me and very appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

I honestly think you need to figure this one out on your own. Why schedule a meeting with him if you don't really know what to say? If you'd like to know about your chances then ask him about your chances. Make a conversation out of it and try not to read too deep into what he says.

He's going to tell you pretty much the same thing that any admissions officer at any school will tell you. A decent MCAT and GPA will get you looked at. A great primary and secondary essay could be what gets you your interview. That or your extracurriculars are really amazing. If you're URM then I think you have an even greater chance at receiving an interview. If you have good conversational skills then you've pretty much got the interview part nailed down provided no red flags show up and you apply early enough.

Anyway by the time that you meet him face to face, it's not like there's really anything you can change on your application before applying this coming cycle, right? You'll have a couple of weeks to improve your application; maybe a couple of months if you're applying late. But even then, the only thing that can greatly improve your chances for getting an interview would be to greatly improve on your MCAT.

I honestly think you need to figure this one out on your own. Why schedule a meeting with him if you don't really know what to say? If you'd like to know about your chances then ask him about your chances. Make a conversation out of it and try not to read too deep into what he says.

He's going to tell you pretty much the same thing that any admissions officer at any school will tell you. A decent MCAT and GPA will get you looked at. A great primary and secondary essay could be what gets you your interview. That or your extracurriculars are really amazing. If you're URM then I think you have an even greater chance at receiving an interview. If you have good conversational skills then you've pretty much got the interview part nailed down provided no red flags show up and you apply early enough.

Anyway by the time that you meet him face to face, it's not like there's really anything you can change on your application before applying this coming cycle, right? You'll have a couple of weeks to improve your application; maybe a couple of months if you're applying late. But even then, the only thing that can greatly improve your chances for getting an interview would be to greatly improve on your MCAT.
Thank you for the advice.

Hi everyone.

Thank you for your time.

Mr. Alba is like the coolest guy I've ever met in any admissions process, seriously, he never once has talked down to any applicant that I've seen and he's very friendly. He'll sort you out. Just be honest with him about yourself and he'll help you out.

Mr. Alba is like the coolest guy I've ever met in any admissions process, seriously, he never once has talked down to any applicant that I've seen and he's very friendly. He'll sort you out. Just be honest with him about yourself and he'll help you out.
Thank you for your response. You were exactly right. Our conversation went really well. If you're going to attend this school, you made a very wise decision.

Thank you for your response. You were exactly right. Our conversation went really well. If you're going to attend this school, you made a very wise decision.

Awesome dude, happy to help and I'm glad he got you squared away.

I applied to Burrell in January, complete secondary in February, interviewed on 03/21 and got accepted on 03/22........so excited.