Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
quick question--what do you guys think about choosing between BCOM and ROSS? also is there a FB page for BCOM newly admitted?

Members don't see this ad.

quick question--what do you guys think about choosing between BCOM and ROSS? also is there a FB page for BCOM newly admitted?

Congrats on the acceptance! As of now, I'll be attending, as well. The Facebook group is called "BCOM Class of 2020". Lol @ Ross. Absolutely not.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, congrats on your acceptance. PM if you want the link to the FB group.

But how do I get 3k for deposit

Pull out a loan or ask a family member to temporarily borrow some money.

Any US school > Any Caribbean school. This every day of the week. No offense but if you even had to ask this then perhaps you need to do a little more research into the whole medical school process for yourself. All the issues associated with Caribbean medical school has been discussed to death on these forums.

Reactions: 3 users
ImageUploadedBySDN1458740337.843575.jpg

Seriously though, lol don't go to Ross.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to Burrell in January, complete secondary in February, interviewed on 03/21 and got accepted on 03/22........so excited.
Congratulations! Did you get a deferred acceptance or an acceptance for class 2020?

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to Burrell in January, complete secondary in February, interviewed on 03/21 and got accepted on 03/22........so excited.

Nice, congrats!

I took out a student loan. Unfortunate, but necessary.

I wouldn't even remotely consider a Caribbean school. They always have a MUCH more difficult time being accepted to US residencies and after the ACGME/AOA merger they'll likely have a harder time.

Lol BCOM. ALLLLL day. I know some people who chose the other direction and wish they had waited to start at BCOM next fall.

I want nothing more than to be taken off the waitlist.

Reactions: 4 users
Congratulations! Did you get a deferred acceptance or an acceptance for class 2020?
it was straight acceptances with forms for acceptance or decline, immunization and direction on how to make seat deposit.

Could someone please suggest which of the hotels listed below is the best option to attend the BCOM interview? TIA.

Could someone please suggest which of the hotels listed below is the best option to attend the BCOM interview? TIA.

I stayed at the Comfort Suites and it was great. Less than a 5 minute drive to campus.

I wouldn't take out a loan for $3k. Get a credit card with 0% intro APR (I know Citi has a few with 0% interest for 12+ months) and use that to pay the $3k. There will be an $80 fee that BCOM will charge you for using a credit card, then you can pay it off when you get your school loans disbursed. (If you use the Citi double cash card, you get 2% back ;)) IMO, that's less scary than loans...

Members don't see this ad :)

I stayed at sleep inn. It's so close that you can walk to the interview..if you wanted to( I don't reconnmend) You basically cross one street and you are on the NMSU campus.

Also, they serve breakfast, i'm not sure if the other hotels do or not.

I wouldn't take out a loan for $3k. Get a credit card with 0% intro APR (I know Citi has a few with 0% interest for 12+ months) and use that to pay the $3k. There will be an $80 fee that BCOM will charge you for using a credit card, then you can pay it off when you get your school loans disbursed. (If you use the Citi double cash card, you get 2% back ;)) IMO, that's less scary than loans...

It's only March right now. Assuming loans don't get disbursed from the school until August, that's another 4-5 months wait. Maybe I'm not knowledgable enough about finances, but don't all credit cards have a monthly due date? What would be the benefit of COCOBOY opening up a credit card without the ability to pay it back within a month?

It's only March right now. Assuming loans don't get disbursed from the school until August, that's another 4-5 months wait. Maybe I'm not knowledgable enough about finances, but don't all credit cards have a monthly due date? What would be the benefit of COCOBOY opening up a credit card without the ability to pay it back within a month?

The benefit is that you'd only be paying the minimum payment on the credit card for that time frame, which is usually like $25-35. A bank loan would have a larger payment and also accrue interest during that that. The only way to not have a payment of any kind until school starts would be to pay out of pocket or borrow from a family member/friend. If that's not an option, the cheapest way to handle the deposit would be to put it on an interest free credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users

spirited away said you can find many credit cards that will give you 12+ months without interest and you would only need to pay a minimum payment. No interest accruing. Their idea is actually very good.

I stayed at Quality Inn. "Quality" it certainly was not, but at least it was cheap.

The benefit is that you'd only be paying the minimum payment on the credit card for that time frame, which is usually like $25-35. A bank loan would have a larger payment and also accrue interest during that that. The only way to not have a payment of any kind until school starts would be to pay out of pocket or borrow from a family member/friend. If that's not an option, the cheapest way to handle the deposit would be to put it on an interest free credit card.

spirited away said you can find many credit cards that will give you 12+ months without interest and you would only need to pay a minimum payment. No interest accruing. Their idea is actually very good.

Read it kind of fast without thinking. Thanks for the reply y'all. I also forgot about minimum payments. I always just pay in full because of my paranoia.

The credit card idea sounds good!

Exactly this :) Just make sure to remember to pay it off ;)

Last edited:

The Holiday Inn is a quick drive away and they have pretty decent breakfast.

Last edited:
I have done Fairfield and towneplace. The marriot brands. A few min down the highway but in a nice area with lots around and Fairfield had a full breakfast but towneplace had nice rooms and overall look. They had snacks for breakfast

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I would agree with that. From what I know about credit scores, the loan would be more detrimental than the credit card would be. While varying your types of credit can be positive, school loans are typically frowned upon by creditors due to the length of time that debt will typically be outstanding. Citi also has the AA Advantage card which has 30,000 bonus miles if you spend 1000.00 in the first three months. That should cover at least 1 round trip domestic flight.

Is it too late to apply? Has anyone heard how full the class is at this point?

Is it too late to apply? Has anyone heard how full the class is at this point?

Technically you can still submit your primary until April 15 and bcom secondary until April 30, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The class is definitely full at this point although they'll still be pulling from the deferred list and wait list probably until the end of July.

You'll have way better luck if you start preparing for next cycle's application and have your aacomas ready to go in June, which is just a couple months away.

Reactions: 5 users

Last edited:
Technically you can still submit your primary until April 15 and bcom secondary until April 30, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The class is definitely full at this point although they'll still be pulling from the deferred list and wait list probably until the end of July.

You'll have way better luck if you start preparing for next cycle's application and have your aacomas ready to go in June, which is just a couple months away.

Thanks for the input. I probably should have mentioned that I already applied this cycle in general. I think I'm going to call tomorrow and ask about how full they are. It's just that I've already applied and paid for 10 secondary apps along with airfare/hotels for 3 interviews. So I think if there are still some spots, then what's another 110 bucks at this point? Lol

Thanks for the input. I probably should have mentioned that I already applied this cycle in general. I think I'm going to call tomorrow and ask about how full they are. It's just that I've already applied and paid for 10 secondary apps along with airfare/hotels for 3 interviews. So I think if there are still some spots, then what's another 110 bucks at this point? Lol

At this point, every seat in the class is filled and there is a deferred acceptance waitlist with priority acceptance into this year's class. Getting on DA would be the best case scenario at this point. Once DA runs out, there is a waitlist, as well.

Last edited:
Just really hoping for some waitlist movement. Whether it's movement to deferred acceptance or acceptance to the current class--I would be equally happy!

Reactions: 2 users
Just really hoping for some waitlist movement. Whether it's movement to deferred acceptance or acceptance to the current class--I would be equally happy!
Same here. I could definitely take a year off and be in the class of 2021. No problem with that!

Anyone still on the DA list feeling anxious or excited to find out if this year or next!? :):soexcited:

Reactions: 4 users
I know that New Mexico state probably has a lot of spiders and snakes but would they be very common in Las Cruces and around campus? I have a phobia when it comes to spiders and snakes so I am hoping they aren't common inside houses and apartments at least!

I know that New Mexico state probably has a lot of spiders and snakes but would they be very common in Las Cruces and around campus? I have a phobia when it comes to spiders and snakes so I am hoping they aren't common inside houses and apartments at least!
You may encounter snakes or spiders on Roads going towards mountains or when you go for hiking. I been in Las Cruces and on campus for 6 years. Never seen snakes or spiders in Apt/houses nearby campus. You'll definitely see some rabbits in campus open fields but not in Apt :laugh:

Sorry, I joined this thread late. Congratulations to all of the Folks who are accepted in inaugural class or next year. I am looking forward to meet all of you. :clap:

To folks on waiting list, don't lose hope. You may hear good news soon.

Just got a pre matriculation email even though I didn't submit my secondary to BCOM.

I just got that too... but I was on the waitlist? Does anyone know if this means we got accepted or if it was a mistake?