Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow those are much different than when I filled it out.
Yeah. Not sure when they changed it, but as of July 1 when I received, half of those weren't even choices!

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how I feel about this. I am excited to receive an II but since this is a brand new school I'm not sure I want to bet my future being the guinea pig.

Reactions: 3 users
Not sure how I feel about this. I am excited to receive an II but since this is a brand new school I'm not sure I want to bet my future being the guinea pig.
I thought the same, but it's still a medical school and at the end of the day we will still come out as physicians. Sure, if you get accepted somewhere else where there are more perks and less unknowns, take it if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought the same, but it's still a medical school and at the end of the day we still still come out as physicians. Sure, if you get accepted somewhere else where there are more perks and less unknowns, take it if it makes you feel more comfortable.
That's kind of how I'm feeling especially since it's so early in the cycle I don't want to pass up opportunities.

That's kind of how I'm feeling especially since it's so early in the cycle I don't want to pass up opportunities.

Yeah I feel you. That 3thousand dollar deposit is what's going to break my bank early in the app cycle. Website said August 5th is the first wave of acceptances, so I have to keep saving up just in case I have to put down that deposit.

Last edited:
Yeah I feel you. That 3thousand dollar deposit is what's going to break my bank early in the app cycle. Website said August 5th is the first wave of acceptances, so I have to keep saving up just in case I have to put down that deposit.
Exactly. I was hoping more schools would interview before BCOM. I get that they want to make money and keep people from taking up spots and then leaving as soon as a better opportunity comes along but $3000 is a little steep.

I thought the same, but it's still a medical school and at the end of the day we will still come out as physicians. Sure, if you get accepted somewhere else where there are more perks and less unknowns, take it if it makes you feel more comfortable.
I guess I just have reservations because it's brand new and I'm not sure I am the best match for their mission statement. Still going to go and check it out and see what the school is about.

Aug 5th is first wave of acceptances? Holy cow, this school is going from light speed to warp drive. Is it just to get the deposits from people?

Reactions: 3 users
Aug 5th is first wave of acceptances? Holy cow, this school is going from light speed to warp drive. Is it just to get the deposits from people?
Has to be. I'm surprised they have even interviewed enough people by that time.

Exactly. I was hoping more schools would interview before BCOM. I get that they want to make money and keep people from taking up spots and then leaving as soon as a better opportunity comes along but $3000 is a little steep.

Hmm it may not be that much after all. I just checked Alabamas deposit fee, it's 2k. But then again that's also farely new school. I'm not sure what the average is, but usually they apply it to your tuition when it's that high.

I have a feeling it's going to be one of those interviews where when you arrive and get a tour you'll have that gut feeling if you're ready to fully commit or not. I'm excited

Members don't see this ad :)
BCOM discount?! Lol please share!
When I booked my hotel for my LECOM interview tomorrow they have hotels with a rate that knocked off like $180. I assume you get a pretty good deal with these also.

From the BCOM interview email....

"BCOM has negotiated rates with the following hotels. You must call to make your reservations and ask for the BCOM/NMSU rate.
Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces, 705 Telshor, (886)-383-0443
Hilton Garden Inn, 2550 S. Don Roser, (575) 522-0900
Holiday Inn Express, 2635 S. Valley Dr., (575) 527-9947"

Reactions: 1 users
Is there a combo package that includes air travel, hotel, and rental car?

When I booked my hotel for my LECOM interview tomorrow they have hotels with a rate that knocked off like $180. I assume you get a pretty good deal with these also.

"BCOM has negotiated rates with the following hotels. You must call to make your reservations and ask for the BCOM/NMSU rate.
Hmm. Thanks for the info. My email only said this about hotels and it's not even the same hotels.
  • There are three hotels within walking distance to the Stan Fulton Athletics Center.
    • Sleep Inn, 2121 South Triviz, (575) 522-1700
    • Comfort Suites University, 2101 South Triviz, (575) 522-1300
    • Hilton Garden Inn, 2550 South Don Roser, (575) 522-0900

What!! My email didn't have any of that info, but I was invited a few weeks ago so maybe it changed.

Did the email have any more info about the interview process? My email only gave me instructions on once I fly into El Paso I'll have a 45 min drive to Las Cruses and that there were a few hotels walking distance to campus

Hmm. Thanks for the info. My email only said this about hotels and it's not even the same hotels.
  • There are three hotels within walking distance to the Stan Fulton Athletics Center.
    • Sleep Inn, 2121 South Triviz, (575) 522-1700
    • Comfort Suites University, 2101 South Triviz, (575) 522-1300
    • Hilton Garden Inn, 2550 South Don Roser, (575) 522-0900
Mine has those too but above it they included those other hotels with the rate.

What!! My email didn't have any of that info, but I was invited a few weeks ago so maybe it changed.

Did the email have any more info about the interview process? My email only gave me instructions on once I fly into El Paso I'll have a 45 min drive to Las Cruses and that there were a few hotels walking distance to campus
I'll pm you the email I got.

Are people still getting interview invites without MCAT scores?

so... how much time do you have to send in the deposit?
if you end up not attending, you'll lose $3000?

so... how much time do you have to send in the deposit?
if you end up not attending, you'll lose $3000?

From the website:

"Accepted Applicants will be requested to submit all necessary matriculation documents, including a deposit, according to the following schedule:

• Those accepted prior to November 15 will have 30 days following offer letter to submit the deposit
  • Those accepted between November 15 and April 30 will have 14 days following offer letter to submit the deposit
  • Those accepted after April 30, will be asked for an immediate deposit
Earliest acceptance date: August 5, 2015

Latest acceptance date: Until class is filled, up to first week of matriculation

Requests for deferred entrance considered: Yes click Here to view."

Are people still getting interview invites without MCAT scores?

I don't think anyone got an interview without MCAT?

I know 2 people who got an interview invite pending on final MCAT score. The May/April test takers received scores in June and allot of them had issues weeks later with no scores being uploaded.

Not taking up my interview invite, hope it goes to one of you instead.

Really? Why's that? If you don't mind me asking

I'm in a Masters program with good linkage to a medical school, and I'm not interested in for-profit schools that don't allow federal loans. Can't afford that. I'm sure this school has just as good a chance as any new school, but I'm not personally willing to take the risk of not enough residency opportunities, new teachers, no history to refer to, etc. It's too much 'what if' for me to personally invest in.

Officially interviewing on August 24th if any Colorado people want to carpool pm me!

Aug 21 from CA. Anyone else from CA going this day ?

Dr. Latte, if you weren't in your masters program and this was your only acceptance, would you accept?

Aug 21 from CA. Anyone else from CA going this day ?

Dr. Latte, if you weren't in your masters program and this was your only acceptance, would you accept?

I probably would but only as a last resort.

That's highway robbery. Straight up.

I had called admissions a few months ago and they said the first class will have 162 spots.

will you lose the entire $3000 deposit if you end up not attending? :oops:

While everyone is upset about the 3K non refundable, we should be happy about it. This will keep the list moving b/c people won't put down that much change if they have any hesitation.

This could be a blessing for the people who only end up getting one interview, here and then are sent to the waitlist. I have a feeling those on the waitlist will be thanking their lucky stars come June 2016.

The deposit wouldn't be a problem to me if BCOM didn't ALSO make me borrow private loans for 4 years... Besides higher interest rate, private loans aren't eligible for IBR repayment. This is the biggest hindrance to me...

The deposit wouldn't be a problem to me if BCOM didn't ALSO make me borrow private loans for 4 years... Besides higher interest rate, private loans aren't eligible for IBR repayment. This is the biggest hindrance to me...
The deposit makes sense. These schools are investing in you, and if you DO take the seat, the deposit credits towards your tuition. It helps encourage people to make their decisions in a timely fashion so that you're not waiting for people to drop in the first week.

To be honest 3000 isn't that much to hold a spot at a MEDICAL school. Thousands, like me, are willing to spend much more...

Reactions: 2 users
I like the $3000 deposit. Things will move quickly. You are either serious about attending the school or you are not.

Reactions: 4 users
I like the $3000 deposit. Things will move quickly. You are either serious about attending the school or you are not.

Thank you. It's only fair that they use some type of deterrent to trim the fat off the list of people who aren't passionate about going here. They have been incredibly straight forward about the type of students they're looking for, so it's really not fair if this is your back up's back up plan and even then, you would still have to flip a coin to make a decision.

how many of you have scheduled for august 3rd interview?

Hey anyone know how much of an impact applying in August will have on my competitiveness at this school? I'm a strong fit for this schools mission, oos, and have good mcat and high gpa. The reason for the delay is receiving my DO letter

As long as you dont mistakenly call them by the wrong school........ :rofl: