Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Could any current students PM with interview day advice/insight/tips?

I am an underdog applicant, below 500 MCAT, average GPAs, and what I now believe must be stellar LORs (since I was granted an interview). Just trying to be as prepared as possible for interview day. I just interviewed last week at LECOM-SH, and my hours of preparation reading about abortion, euthanasia, ACA, EMTALA, etc. was not needed since the interview was super casual and seemingly closed file. That group interview was fine, as I did not have any major stumbles (or minors tbh).

I really dig BCOM's curriculum, but the most important thing for me is the student body. I want to attend a school that will be a strong and intimate community and all signs suggest this is the case at Las Cruces.

Again, if anyone can help me out especially since I will need to rock the interview--even more so than others--it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am an underdog applicant, below 500 MCAT, average GPAs, and what I now believe must be stellar LORs (since I was granted an interview). Just trying to be as prepared as possible for interview day. I just interviewed last week at LECOM-SH, and my hours of preparation reading about abortion, euthanasia, ACA, EMTALA, etc. was not needed since the interview was super casual and seemingly closed file. That group interview was fine, as I did not have any major stumbles (or minors tbh).

I really dig BCOM's curriculum, but the most important thing for me is the student body. I want to attend a school that will be a strong and intimate community and all signs suggest this is the case at Las Cruces.

Again, if anyone can help me out especially since I will need to rock the interview--even more so than others--it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Hey there, thanks for sharing your story so far! By any chance, would you like to give us any additional detailed feedback on your experience at LECOM? I’m interested in things like: the cultural make-up of the interviewees, student body and faculty, the surrounding area and overall campus personality. Feel free to PM me if you’d like instead. I’d really appreciate it :)

Thanks

BCOM is a very mission oriented school. They do not really care what your scores are as long as they aren't completely terrible. The dean said, during my interview day, that they have accepted students with GPAs in the mid-high 2.x's and MCATS ranging from 490-5xx. BCOM has very friendly staff and quite frankly it is located in New Mexico where my favorite food is a daily luxury :). Go into the interview with an open mind, know yourself and your purpose for pursuing medicine AND BCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
This should pump some people up!

" Demand for admission to BCOM has exceeded expectations. To date, BCOM has been designated by nearly 3700 applicants for admission to the inaugural class entering in August, 2020. Admission to BCOM is highly selective. Of the 162 students currently offered admission for its 162 spaces, the average MCAT is approximately 25 (old scale) and the average GPA is 3.5. Accepted students’ MCAT and GPA have ranged as high as 36 and 3.97, respectively. Currently, BCOM has a waiting list of over 250 applicants, of whom 31 highly qualified individuals have been offered deferred acceptance to the class entering in 2017"

http://www.burrellgroupmtpfs.org/BCOMatNMSU.pdf

Link doesn't work anymore but it was sent out by the school in December.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

So I am interviewing next Monday--just called Mr. Alba--a very nice and helpful person--who helped me get a spot next Monday as opposed to October 12th. I am really nervous, since my MCAT is below 500, but I am confident in my ability to express why I believe I am a good fit at BCOM. If anyone has any insight or tips to offer me please PM me. Those that already did, thank you very much.

I feel I need to ask if that not being fluent in Spanish is going to ultimately be a negative on my application? I have taken 5 years of Spanish, but have not spoken any in the last two so I have forgotten a lot, but I know I could recall it. Could any offer insight onto this? Also, can anyone comment on any relationship with free clinics in Las Cruces?

Thanks!!

Dear first year students, would anyone care to share their acceptance date? There has been a few BCOM 2016-2017 SDN members (me included) wondering when your class was filled. Some say it was filled early in October of 2015. Your acceptance dates would help shed light on this topic. Also, would any of you know if your class was filled earlier (than other schools) for specific reasons? Or, is that something that BCOM is intending to do as common practice?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dear first year students, would anyone care to share their acceptance date? There has been a few BCOM 2016-2017 SDN members (me included) wondering when your class was filled. Some say it was filled early in October of 2015. Your acceptance dates would help shed light on this topic. Also, would any of you know if your class was filled earlier (than other schools) for specific reasons? Or, is that something that BCOM is intending to do as common practice?

Don't worry about when people were accepted or when the class was filled last year. Things change from year to year. If you get an interview then you should definitely attend. As far as I know they went through the entire DA list year and were pulling people off from the regular waitlist.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about when people were accepted or when the class was filled last year. Things change from year to year. If you get an interview then you should definitely attend. As far as I know they went through the entire DA list year and were pulling people off from the regular waitlist.
Thank you! I appreciate the response and information!

Interviewing here on Monday! I am super excited!

Reactions: 1 user
Can any current students give any feedback on how they're liking the classes/curriculum/overall so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a secondary today and was wondering what people think about the 2 minute video about yourself vs the written statement? Also for those of you who did the video what types of things did you talk about? Thanks!

I checked through the thread and one poster said that for the 2017-2018 academic year federal loans will be possible--is this correct?

I just found out today that I will most likely need to take out a partial loan and I have zero idea what that entails, but from my brief reading is that federal loans are more favorable than private loans (but other posters said the differences are pretty minimal...).

Thanks--I will likely be attending BCOM next year!

Congrats to everybody getting interviews and acceptances! If you're trying to join the fb group for accepted students go ahead and request to join, but we're working on verifying who is actually accepted here and who isn't. If you're seeing this then message me with your name and a screenshot of your acceptance email and we'll let ya in. Otherwise you may be waiting a few days so we can get an official list from admissions.

Just reset my interview portal. There should be an interview date available now on 10/17 if anyone is interested. Good luck!

Hello,
Odd request, but can any Muslims who attend the school pm me please.. I have a question about the dress code for OMM lab. thanks