Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If we interview on fridays, do we find out on monday/tuesday then?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
II. And their II email is particularly flattering hey? haha

Reactions: 3 users
I am going to stay calm and respectful to my fellow applicants who also interviewed this past Monday with me, but...

I got accepted. I cannot believe this. I literally am in shock. When I was accepted to my college, I was crying from joy. Today, I am just relieved and excited.

I interviewed at LECOM-SH, but BCOM felt like a community. It felt like a family.

Wow. Good luck to the rest.

Edit: any questions about my app please PM. I know reading stats can cause different reactions, but I will say the following: MCAT below BCOM's average, GPAs slightly above average, PS above average, secondary video (IMHO) average to above average (I saw all the publicly posted ones and the quality ranges from poor to great), ECs above average (I didn't do a billion things in college, but I found specific activities that I was passionate about). I interview well I believe. I had to do a mock interview with my college to get a pre med committee letter, and they said I was an introspective person and speak confidently. I just needed to work on my eyes contact. Anyways, long edit but I know people have questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users
I am going to stay calm and respectful to my fellow applicants who also interviewed this past Monday with me, but...

I got accepted. I cannot believe this. I literally am in shock. When I was accepted to my college, I was crying after joy. Today, I am just relieved and excited.

I believe, since I was an underdog, my interview must have been key. In fact, I believe it was. I felt comfortable and I felt it went well.

I interviewed at LECOM-SH, but BCOM felt like a community. It felt like a family.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I got goose bumps reading your message man :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user

I got accepted. I cannot believe this. I literally am in shock. When I was accepted to my college, I was crying after joy. Today, I am just relieved and excited.

I believe, since I was an underdog, my interview must have been key. In fact, I believe it was. I felt comfortable and I felt it went well.

Oh my god!!! Congratulations man! That's gotta be the greatest feeling. I'm so freaking happy for you!!!

Congrats! Glad it went well

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users

Congrats!!!!!!!! So happy for you! When did you find out and how? Phone call or email?

For those with IIs today when did you submit your secondary? I submitted at the beginning of August and I don't think my video has been watched by anyone but myself yet lol. Pretty nervous

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!!!!!! So happy for you! When did you find out and how? Phone call or email?

Well, I was checking the portal every hour today. I checked at 1:00, saw the admission tab, and I didn't open it for 10 minutes. I felt my heart racing. I wanted to not open it while clearly emotional, so I calmed down, I said a short prayer, and basically said, I gave it everything I got and whatever happens happens. And I read it and yeah lol. I got the email 5 minutes later.

At least on interview day it seemed that a good group of the applicants either were interviewing at other places, or already accepted so honestly I was thinking to myself that they will be fine this cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using SDN mobile

For those with IIs today when did you submit your secondary? I submitted at the beginning of August and I don't think my video has been watched by anyone but myself yet lol. Pretty nervous

Hang in there! Word on the street is that BCOM is getting more applications to review this cycle than previously anticipated. So, they might just be a little behind schedule. You can also contact the admissions office. Adrian, Admin Dir., is the MAN and very good at getting back with an update/response.

Reactions: 1 users
Hang in there! Word on the street is that BCOM is getting more applications to review this cycle than previously anticipated. So, they might just be a little behind schedule. You can also contact the admissions office. Adrian, Admin Dir., is the MAN and very good at getting back with an update/response.

I heard that as well, that's awesome. I'll probably wait till next week but then I might just do that! Thank you very much for the advice!

Well, I was checking the portal every hour today. I checked at 1:00, saw the admission tab, and I didn't open it for 10 minutes. I felt my heart racing. I wanted to not open it while clearly emotional, so I calmed down, I said a short prayer, and basically said, I gave it everything I got and whatever happens happens. And I read it and yeah lol. I got the email 5 minutes later.

At least on interview day it seemed that a good group of the applicants either were interviewing at other places, or already accepted so honestly I was thinking to myself that they will be fine this cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using SDN mobile
congrats! stats?

I got rejected but would have declined the offer regardless. I personally didn't have good vibes with the school/faculty and don't think I would have been a good fit. Best of luck to all you others and congrats @Doctor_Strange !

I got wait listed. Feeling meh. Hoping that my interview tomorrow goes well. It's the last one that I have confirmed as of now :/

II as well! Will be interviewing 9/26... earliest available date was tomorrow but such a short notice. Super excited!!

Sent from my Studio 6.0 LTE using SDN mobile

Just got here and I'm loving this city so far! As an added bonus the school looks wonderful from the outside. and huge.:D

Edit: NM and its mountains are so majestic I cannot even.

Last edited:
Just got here and I'm loving this city so far! As an added bonus the school looks wonderful from the outside. and huge.:D

Eat at la posta de mesilla, si senor, andele, habaneros. Pick one, can't go wrong. My ranking from 1-4 is

Andele/posta, then si senor, then habaneros.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'll be interviewing with you :)

I'll be interviewing the Friday before you and flyingjoshua05. If you guys are around on Saturday morning and are up for it, hit me up and we can meet up for a coffee before I catch my flight :)

Was shadowing this morning. When I got home I saw the II email. Logged in to schedule and the earliest date available (besides tomorrow 08/26) is 10/17. If only I could interview in September :(. Anyway I am grateful for the II. Good luck to all of you interviewing!

I'll be interviewing the Friday before you and flyingjoshua05. If you guys are around on Saturday morning and are up for it, hit me up and we can meet up for a coffee before I catch my flight :)

I'm so down!

Congratulations on @Doctor_Strange . I've becomed your follower these past few months. :) very glad that you are accepted.

Was shadowing this morning. When I got home I saw the II email. Logged in to schedule and the earliest date available (besides tomorrow 08/26) is 10/17. If only I could interview in September :(. Anyway I am grateful for the II. Good luck to all of you interviewing!
congrats!! stats?

Hey guys, so I'm also an accepted student.@Doctor_Strange congratulations as well.

A while ago, me and some other students set up a private Facebook page for accepted students, so send me a private message if you are also an accepted student and would like to join.

Last edited:

Yep, I completely agree, it's why I chose them in the first place. Everyone from the faculty to the dean are all amazing people. They are incredibly helpful and I and others from the inaugural class can attest to this.

What a great school! Good luck to all who interviewed today, and extra thanks for the ride back to the hotel Mr. Lurker! :) This school/surrounding area is pretty amazing!

What a great school! Good luck to all who interviewed today, and extra thanks for the ride back to the hotel Mr. Lurker! :) This school/surrounding area is pretty amazing!

Super happy to read this!!! Anything extra-amazing that stood out to you? Did they mention when they'd get back to you with a decision? Keep us posted :)

For those accepted, do you have any advice for the upcoming interviewees? (Besides stay calm and be yourself) :)

I feel like, unlike a lot of other schools, they want you to succeed in your interview. It's definitely one of those conversation type interviews, and I definitely enjoyed it. I don't have any real advice apart from what you've said, so good luck.

I feel like, unlike a lot of other schools, they want you to succeed in your interview. It's definitely one of those conversation type interviews, and I definitely enjoyed it. I don't have any real advice apart from what you've said, so good luck.
My interviewers were amazing and encouraging!

Not sure if it has been answered, but what is the interview format? How many faculty per student? Is it open or closed file?

What is the best hotel out of the five they give you in the II email? Any recommendations? I just bought my flight so I want to book my hotel soon.

I don't think I can talk about this at all but absolutely do not worry. Go in, be honest, be confident :) You will love it in nm!

Hey Guys,

Just finished my interview. We signed a confidentiality agreement on interview questions, but I will make two important comments/observations:

1) Relax.
2) I suspect in a few years, this school's reputation will be on par with the other highly renowned DO schools. The facilities, faculty, but most importantly, the students are highly motived and sincere people.

P. S. Please don't PM about the questions!

Hey dude!

I interviewed there on Monday too! Unfortunately, I bombed it! I hope you're luck was better!

I'm a bit worried. Because of work I am not able to attend an interview until Oct. 24th. Is this too late? It seems like last year they were interviewing for the waitlist as early as Oct 5th..

I'm a bit worried. Because of work I am not able to attend an interview until Oct. 24th. Is this too late? It seems like last year they were interviewing for the waitlist as early as Oct 5th..
They filled the class oct 5th? damn.

They filled the class oct 5th? damn.

Well if you read the 2015-2016 thread, people were saying that they filled 110 seats of 160 and offered deferred acceptances for quite a while as well. It's pretty surprising they fill their class so fast.

Well if you read the 2015-2016 thread, people were saying that they filled 110 seats of 160 and offered deferred acceptances for quite a while as well. It's pretty surprising they fill their class so fast.

But wasn't last year their first entering class? Maybe they didn't know how many applications they were going to receive so they accepted more early on. This cycle may be different as they now have an estimated figure.

But wasn't last year their first entering class? Maybe they didn't know how many applications they were going to receive so they accepted more early on. This cycle may be different as they now have an estimated figure.

Excellent point!

To add to this, anyone that has interviewed this cycle, heard anything regarding the percentage of seats filled so far (for entering class of 2017)?

Last edited: