Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
is anyone concerned that they are not fully accredited?

They have maximal accreditation per their current stage. They will be fully accredited after they graduate a class. Every school is accredited this way nothing new or different here

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
accepted via email!! I'm so amazed and thankful for this opportunity, especially because I really thought the interview didn't go so smoothly..
I guess sometimes you never know what they're looking for! :biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
I just got wait listed. Interviewed on the 12th. I have been wait-listed at this school twice now......**** me.
hang in there! Adrian said that there is pretty significant movement with the waitlist, especially since you interviewed early!

Members don't see this ad :)
accepted via email!! I'm so amazed and thankful for this opportunity, especially because I really thought the interview didn't go so smoothly..
I guess sometimes you never know what they're looking for! :biglove:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! When you have a moment, I have a few questions (I could PM them to you) :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
hang in there! Adrian said that there is pretty significant movement with the waitlist, especially since you interviewed early!

Thanks, but he said that last time too...

rejected :( interviewed on the 12th. Really heartbroken because this was such an amazing scjool, but hopefully another opportunity will open up for me soon. Trying to figure out what happened during the interview and what I can do better for my next few interviews. Asked Adrian for any feedback.

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted! :)

rejected :( interviewed on the 12th. Really heartbroken because this was such an amazing scjool, but hopefully another opportunity will open up for me soon. Trying to figure out what happened during the interview and what I can do better for my next few interviews. Asked Adrian for any feedback.

Good luck this cycle! I hope Adrian can give you the necessary feedback!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! When you have a moment, I have a few questions (I could PM them to you) :)

thank you so much! and absolutely, I'd be happy to answer them publicly or via PM, whichever you're more comfortable with. :)

I'm so sorry to hear this, but best of luck on the rest of your cycle! everyone who interviewed this past Monday seemed so nice and genuine; I think it's just hard to gauge what admissions might think is "a good fit." keep your head up!

Reactions: 2 users
did you interview this early in the cycle last time as well?
Around the same time frame. Keeping optimistic though as this is my last cycle im doing.

I'm so sorry to hear this, but best of luck on the rest of your cycle! everyone who interviewed this past Monday seemed so nice and genuine; I think it's just hard to gauge what admissions might think is "a good fit." keep your head up!
Thanks sooo much. Means a lot! I know, everyone on Monday seemed really great. I think you're right; it's just really hard to see who is the best fit since they are so mission-oriented. I don't think I handled a few questions well and I'm just trying to look back on what could have happened. Thanks a bunch and hopefully a school likes me soon enough!

Members don't see this ad :)
Around the same time frame. Keeping optimistic though as this is my last cycle im doing.

definitely keep your head up! and of course everyone does things differently, but I've heard of adcoms responding positively to continued demonstrated interest, such as updates and letters of intent. best of luck with the rest of your cycle!

Hang in there! In my humble opinion, what is more important, and what I've sensed by reading some of your SDN threads--it seems that you have done everything possible to do your best this cycle. This particular willingness and effort alone will take you further than any medical program can :)

(HIGH FIVE!!!)

I'm seriously considering accepting my acceptance, but I just have a couple of questions to any current student lurking on this forum.

1. How has the school year been thus far? Has the year met, exceeded, or fallen short of expectations you had after interview day?

2. What does the population health class entail? Is it a valuable addition to your education?

3. How has the curriculum been received thus far? I know its early but I'd like to get some impressions here.

Thanks

I'll cancel my interview here on Monday August 22nd. Hope it goes to one of you. Good luck and always be positive throughout the process :)
hey howd you go about canceling the interview?

So is it bad if I don't plan on practicing in NM? I know they're very mission specific and I have a big interest in underserved populations but I'm just not sure if I would like to stay in NM for my career.

From the east coast with tons of family here.

So is it bad if I don't plan on practicing in NM? I know they're very mission specific and I have a big interest in underserved populations but I'm just not sure if I would like to stay in NM for my career.

From the east coast with tons of family here.

The Dean stated himself that he knows many students will not stay in NM, and that many will not go into primary care and he is OK with that. But If I was you, I wouldn't talk about not wanting to stay in NM at the interview...But NM is a really nice place and has some great areas...

The Dean stated himself that he knows many students will not stay in NM, and that many will not go into primary care and he is OK with that. But If I was you, I wouldn't talk about not wanting to stay in NM at the interview...But NM is a really nice place and has some great areas...

yes of course. I just feel a little guilty since they're very mission specific for the Southwest.

declined my interview as well, hopefully someone will snag it up, good luck ya'll

I'm seriously considering accepting my acceptance, but I just have a couple of questions to any current student lurking on this forum.

1. How has the school year been thus far? Has the year met, exceeded, or fallen short of expectations you had after interview day?

2. What does the population health class entail? Is it a valuable addition to your education?

3. How has the curriculum been received thus far? I know its early but I'd like to get some impressions here.

Thanks

1. medical school is hard, but medical school is medical school. There are growing pains with new programs, those were expected and they're there. Faculty has been open minded to working with students, this is an advantage.

2. population health is about looking at healthcare from a population perspective. Is it valuable? Take a step back and think about that question. Should you think about your patient population as a whole, or simply focus on each individual patient? Also...most schools have this speckled throughout their curriculum.

3. Uhmm...getting impressions of curriculum from first year students this early isn't a great plan. It's medical school. This curriculum is rough, and it's intense, maybe even intense relative to other MS1/OMS1's I've spoken to.

The reality is...didactic curriculum is pretty standard school to school. Everyone tries to come up with a novel way to teach cell science, and it sucks no matter what. Beyond that...there are only so many ways to train medical students. Focus on the city, the faculty, the vibe of the school. Will YOU be a good fit there?

^^ And, how many Starbucks are around for that much needed boost

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

1. medical school is hard, but medical school is medical school. There are growing pains with new programs, those were expected and they're there. Faculty has been open minded to working with students, this is an advantage.

2. population health is about looking at healthcare from a population perspective. Is it valuable? Take a step back and think about that question. Should you think about your patient population as a whole, or simply focus on each individual patient? Also...most schools have this speckled throughout their curriculum.

3. Uhmm...getting impressions of curriculum from first year students this early isn't a great plan. It's medical school. This curriculum is rough, and it's intense, maybe even intense relative to other MS1/OMS1's I've spoken to.

The reality is...didactic curriculum is pretty standard school to school. Everyone tries to come up with a novel way to teach cell science, and it sucks no matter what. Beyond that...there are only so many ways to train medical students. Focus on the city, the faculty, the vibe of the school. Will YOU be a good fit there?

I appreciate you taking time to answer my questions. As for point #2, I'm not asking if the topic of population health is useful -- that it obvious and doesn't need answering. My question is specifically about the class offered by BCOM -- what does it entail and does it seem to add to your education in a significant way or does it seem like it 'gets in the way.'

Does anyone know what interview dates are available? I'm scheduled for the 21st of november but might have to change it. Are there any dates in november left?

Just found out that my TwinRx series didn't take (no immune response on titter) ...talking to the school now about how to proceed. If anyone else runs into this issue while completing matriculation documents, PM me and I'll give you scoop. Right now I'm looking at redoing the series at an increased concentration...hope this one works.

@xishen

You're military shot record will work, it just has to be signed by a physician. The school, as I understand, requires Hep B vaccine plus titters to demonstrate immune response. My titters came back negative...so I'm going to take a new series with a higher concentration (40ug vs standard 10ug).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile@

Fellow vet here. got accepted here and potentially taking up the offer. would the military shot record suffice? obviously yours didn't.

And congrats on the acceptance!

Accepted at BCOM so excited can't believe I'm going to be a doc interviewed in Sept

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
i do have a question tho, if the school won't reach full accreditation until it graduates its first class wouldn't that mean that gov loans won't be available until 2020 not 2018

i do have a question tho, if the school won't reach full accreditation until it graduates its first class wouldn't that mean that gov loans won't be available until 2020 not 2018

I believe it just has to be operational under provisional accreditation for 2 full academic years to qualify for federal loans. That's how it was explained to me anyway (if someone else can weigh in that would be great).

I believe it just has to be operational under provisional accreditation for 2 full academic years to qualify for federal loans. That's how it was explained to me anyway (if someone else can weigh in that would be great).
I believe this is correct.

For those who interviewed, if you are able to answer this question it would be very much appreciated!

How much do we have to know about New Mexico healthcare?
Any ethical/moral dilemma questions?

Thanks!

Its been four weeks since I sent in my secondary, and I havent heard anything, should I call?

Its been four weeks since I sent in my secondary, and I havent heard anything, should I call?

After a month I would definitely call. Many people have said the time it took for them to receive a II was about two weeks. I submitted yesterday and will call in around two and a half if I don't hear back. Best of luck!

Seems like they send II's on Wednesday. Wait till Thursday before calling. Last I spoke to them, they have been "back logged" but have been responding to applicants within 2 weeks since the application cycle started.

Another week, another Wednesday is upon us. Praying for an II this week!

For those who interviewed, if you are able to answer this question it would be very much appreciated!

How much do we have to know about New Mexico healthcare?
Any ethical/moral dilemma questions?

Thanks!

There are no specific questions really, they try to get to know you in a 30 min interview. There's no MMI questions if that's what you're asking.

You don't *need* to know about NM healthcare, but it might help to do some research on the areas this school wants to serve.

Interviewing on November 14th. Does anyone know the closest hotel to the school