Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are no specific questions really, they try to get to know you in a 30 min interview. There's no MMI questions if that's what you're asking.

You don't *need* to know about NM healthcare, but it might help to do some research on the areas this school wants to serve.

I 100% agree! When I interviewed, I did receive an ethics question, however, it was in relation to past experiences overseas. Essentially it boiled down to how I would have handled treatment for a minor foreign national if their parents refused treatment. Pretty cut and dry in a foreign country, but I made sure to point out the legal recourse that I would have practicing in the US. As for NM health care, their mission is specifically geared towards the SW, so be sure to look up health care issues and medical needs (current&projected) of this region, and how you could go about engaging the local population to enable them to become active participants in their own health. The research I did on those particular topics paid some serious dividends in my interview. I can't promise you the same, but it can't hurt you to be able to speak intelligently about healthcare, communities, and cultures in BCOM's region.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
For anyone on a budget, I stayed at the Comfort Inn for my II. It was like $70 a night with a 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic. Oh! And free breakfast in the morning

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone on a budget, I stayed at the Comfort Inn for my II. It was like $70 a night with a 5-10 minute drive depending on traffic. Oh! And free breakfast in the morning

Airbnb is also a very affordable option - I'll be heading out this weekend for my Monday interview!

Sent from my Studio 6.0 LTE using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hilton Garden Inn Las Cruces is like a 4 minute drive down the street, literally.
Do you also know if anyone has been able to take a shuttle or taxi from any of the hotels directly to the school

Do you also know if anyone has been able to take a shuttle or taxi from any of the hotels directly to the school

I rented a car for $13 dollars a day through Alamo car rental. I know the Holiday Inn had a shuttle service for a fee. I imagine there are uber options as well, but the town is super spread out so everyone has a car unfortunately.

^^ And, how many Starbucks are around for that much needed boost

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
You're probably the kind of student that smells like coffee beans in the lecture hall.

For those of you looking for places to stay. I recommend Air B and B over hotels allllllllll day. several students have them set up, it's cheaper, the money goes to a med student instead of a hotel chain, and a win win for everyone.

For those of you looking for places to stay. I recommend Air B and B over hotels allllllllll day. several students have them set up, it's cheaper, the money goes to a med student instead of a hotel chain, and a win win for everyone.
Do we simply Google "Air B and B" to contact someone? I desperately need to save money.

I'll PM you:)

Do we simply Google "Air B and B" to contact someone? I desperately need to save money.

I've actually PM'd you already. I'll send it again

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys any recommendations on some good taco places?? Love me some tacos!:soexcited:

Hey guys any recommendations on some good taco places?? Love me some tacos!:soexcited:

I think I have some! A kind first year student gave me a few recommendations! I'll find them and send them over to you in a bit!

Ok, here are some:

Mexican: Andeles and La Posta de Mesilla (in Las Cruces)
For Burritos: Crisostomos burritos in El Paso on your way in or out

Hopes this helps! Btw, when will you be interviewing (Pardon me if I've asked you this already)?

Ok, here are some:

Hopes this helps! Btw, when will you be interviewing (Pardon me if I've asked you this already)?

Haha you did but its ok. I will be interviewing this Friday!!

Hey guys I'm sorry if this was posted already but did the interview day go? Was there a tour or something first and then an interview? How many people were there on your interview day?

Can someone post a link to the application portal? I never received anything after submitting the secondary and I am not sure if I was supposed to.

Last edited:
I'm late to the thread, so I'm sorry if that was already addressed, but am I supposed to receive an application complete e-mail? I was complete around 8/28ish I think.

EDIT: Got an II like hour after posting this lol

Last edited:
is the following a rejection or waitlist??

The Admissions Committee has carefully considered your complete application and information gathered during your interview. While your application is impressive, the Admissions Committee will not be able to offer you a seat at this time. This decision is not necessarily a reflection of your qualities, rather it is the result of a very competitive pool of candidates and a high demand for our seats.

I am confused by the " will not be able to offer you a seat at this time"

I can't give you a specific date but I received my secondary on 8/16 and sent it in pretty soon after. Maybe a week after at the latest

is the following a rejection or waitlist??

The Admissions Committee has carefully considered your complete application and information gathered during your interview. While your application is impressive, the Admissions Committee will not be able to offer you a seat at this time. This decision is not necessarily a reflection of your qualities, rather it is the result of a very competitive pool of candidates and a high demand for our seats.

I am confused by the " will not be able to offer you a seat at this time"
That's a rejection. That phrasing is pretty standard for all medical schools.

Don't sweat it. Keep cracking. You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't sweat it. Keep cracking. You'll be fine.

Thanks for the response, I liked this school and felt great about the interview. I was honest in my intentions and I trust the admissions decision. It would have been extremely difficult for me to attend a program so far away with home with all of the ties that I have to my community. It is a great school with great people!

does anyone know how many people are going to be interview and how many will be accepted?

How is everyone getting to and from the airport? (El Paso)

This thread needs a Q&A Post:

1. About how long after sending in your secondary were you guys marked complete? What about II invite?
About a week to be marked complete. Two weeks for an II, but they're backlogged right now.

2. How many people are interviewed?
About 12 or so.

3. How many people are accepted?
Just depends on how the interviews go.

4. BCOM doesn't have any board scores! I don't know about going there.

On the interview day, you're told that their curriculum is based on RVUCOM's, which has one of the highest pass rates (according to the chart shown during the presentation). There's always concern since it's a new school, but the school really seems to know what their objectives are and are on track to accomplishing them.

5. When does BCOM get Federal Aid???
Earliest will be 2018 (from other answers on this thread).

6. I'm interviewing late :[ ... Do I even have a chance?
It seems that BCOM wants to fill 70-75% of its seats by December, so don't worry. Take a breath, and rock out your interview! They also have a significant waitlist shift. It's not over until it's over!

7. What happens on interview day?
a. Sign-in around 8AM
b. A presentation about the school, curriculum, NM area
c. Half the group is sent on a tour, while the other half goes to interview
d. Switch
e. Lunch
f. Done

8. What's the interview like? What is the staff like?
Everyone is super friendly. They staff is warm and inviting. The school believes in a casual interview format. It will be you and two staff members in a room for 30 minutes.

9. What kinds of questions do they ask during the interview?
Since no one can actually say what the questions are due to the confidentiality agreement, most people have said "your typical questions". Other people in this thread have said to know ethics, know a bit about the area, and know the mission of the school.

10. Where should I stay for the interview? Hotel?
There's a list of hotels they said you can stay at - when you call be sure to ask for the NMSU rate and it ends up being about $100/night. Another option is Air bnb.

11. How do I do this whole transport thing from the airport or even where i'm staying?
There's a shuttle from the airport that you can take. Others just rent a car and take that. From the hotel, people have have had success with uber.

Planning Your Travel to Las Cruces
  • You can fly into El Paso International Airport and drive 45 minutes to Las Cruces, New Mexico. If you choose to fly to Albuquerque, the drive to Las Cruces is approximately 3 hours.
  • El Paso International Airport to Las Cruces transportation may be purchased through Las Cruces Shuttle Service, (800) 288-1784, lascrucesshuttle.com
BCOM has negotiated rates with the following hotels. You must call to make your reservation and ask for the BCOM/NMSU rate.
  • Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces, 705 Telshor, (575) 522-4300
  • Holiday Inn Express, 2635 S. Valley Dr., (575) 527-9947
  • Hilton Garden Inn, 2550 South Don Roser, (575) 522-0900
  • Sleep Inn, 2121 South Triviz, (575) 522-1700
  • Comfort Suites University, 2101 South Triviz, (575) 522-1300
(Taken from BCOM's email)

12. Where do I eat? Recommend food to me!

(Taken from 'ArtSci')

13. Does anyone know anything about BCOMs clinical hospitals? Where will the students do their clerkships for 3 and 4th years?
El Paso
Las Cruces
Abq
Gallup region (for those more interested in rural)
Somewhere in AZ (I want to say Tucson but don't quote me)

Mountain view in Cruces has partnerships established as does Las Palmas in EP. This is still two years away and I know they're working on it, still. 4th year is largely an elective year and many schools allow students to do their rotations wherever they'd like as long as they meet certain requirements (i.e. you're required to do 1 geriatric and 1 ED rotation during 4th year).

(Taken from 'TheFutureFatMan')

14. Does that mean BCOM has access to NMSU facilities?
Yup! BCOM students have access to all NMSU facilities!

15. I am in LOVE with BCOM. I'm going to definitely matriculate. Now what?
Well... there's a facebook group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/910702355718271/

16. So... I got accepted, what do I have to do? What if I get accepted elsewhere later?
You have about 30 days to accept or reject, which includes a $3000 deposit. If you matriculate, it is applied to your tuition. You can hold spots at multiple schools until around May (not sure on this), at which point you have to only hold a seat at one school.

17. If I was put on the waitlist, does anyone know what my chances are?

Your position on the waitlist is based on a score comprised of MCAT, sgpa and your interview score (heavier weight on interview score this year). Last year they went a few hundred into their waitlist, and expect something similar but not as intense. I would say that if everything went relatively well, you have a good chance.

Hastily put together, but hope it helps even a bit. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
would it be beneficial to interview as soon as possible? i see a date in october just popped up

If I was put on the waitlist, does anyone know what my chances are?

If I was put on the waitlist, does anyone know what my chances are?

Your position on the waitlist is based on a score comprised of MCAT, sgpa and your interview score (heavier weight on interview score this year). Last year they went a few hundred into their waitlist, and expect something similar but not as intense. I would say that if everything went relatively well, you have a good chance.

I felt really good about everything! Thank you!

I have a question on the secondary for this school. Added this school later on in the cycle so got my secondary recently.
- Did you guys do a video or write? It seems a good chunk opt for the video.
- What did you guys address in the vid or write up? It's basically to get to know you so is it just the typical stuff like why this school, hobbies, life experiences, anything else? I can't find specs on how they want the vid like whether it's one of those infomercial style or just talk to the camera. I have some ideas in mind that doesn't require me to sit in front of the camera and talk for 2 mins.

I have a question on the secondary for this school. Added this school later on in the cycle so got my secondary recently.
- Did you guys do a video or write? It seems a good chunk opt for the video.
- What did you guys address in the vid or write up? It's basically to get to know you so is it just the typical stuff like why this school, hobbies, life experiences, anything else? I can't find specs on how they want the vid like whether it's one of those infomercial style or just talk to the camera. I have some ideas in mind that doesn't require me to sit in front of the camera and talk for 2 mins.

Most people do the write up. The school said that only a few people have sent in a video or some sort of project. You can google BCOM videos or something and there's links to youtube that have them uploaded. Some people sent in CDs instead because they didn't want to be on camera for 2 min.

I did a video and it was fun :D

Do we need to bring anything to the interview? Trying to keep my portfolio at home haha I don't think I received another email about my upcoming interview since I registered last month.

Most people do the write up. The school said that only a few people have sent in a video or some sort of project. You can google BCOM videos or something and there's links to youtube that have them uploaded. Some people sent in CDs instead because they didn't want to be on camera for 2 min.

I'm debating between the write up or the video. I saw some people's videos and some just did a voice over with pictures which actually sounds better than talking to the camera for 2 mins.

I did a video and it was fun :D

Do we need to bring anything to the interview? Trying to keep my portfolio at home haha I don't think I received another email about my upcoming interview since I registered last month.

You just need to bring an ID. Otherwise you're good. You will just need to show the ID when signing in on the paper to get your paper name tag.

I had my concerns about the gross anatomy myself. We didn't even get to see a demonstration of the anatomy tables. From what I understand, there are only 7 of those anatomy table computers so I'm wondering what the logistics of teaching anatomy is there.

Honestly, this is a better way to teach anatomy because I have been told by several med students how little anatomy comes into play on the USMLE and that in general people view conventional anatomy class as a time sink.