Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm debating between the write up or the video. I saw some people's videos and some just did a voice over with pictures which actually sounds better than talking to the camera for 2 mins.

I find that a write up is easier because you can write more formally than you can speak. Imo, it gives off a more professional feel.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, this is a better way to teach anatomy because I have been told by several med students how little anatomy comes into play on the USMLE and that in general people view conventional anatomy class as a time sink.

The reasoning given during the tour for using the virtual anatomy is that by the time medical students get them, they've been carved up and you end up just cutting through fat if anything. At least with the computer based anatomy lab, you're able to get an understanding of where everything should be. Also, my friend just went to anatomy lab and said that it was a huge waste of time and she learned close to nothing.

(Just adding on :D)

I find that a write up is easier because you can write more formally than you can speak. Imo, it gives off a more professional feel.

My 2 cents to anyone: do the video. It is way better and I think key towards my acceptance. I received a secondary early but had to wait to submit because my LORs were still being processed, so for like 2 weeks I thought about my video and had various ideas of what to do. The day my LORs were received I had not even made an attempt at my video, so I went ahead and spent the next 2 days recording myself and created two versions to submit and I ultimately decided on the one that I felt was rushed, but somewhat original. I mean I spent an embarrassing amount of time thinking about how to do my video and I ultimately sort of winged it and I think I came off more natural.

In the time I had to wait for my LORs to be processed, I watched just about ever video that was available on YouTube and even found a way to view the private listed ones. The quality ranged from impressive to garbage. If you have a crappy camera or are admittedly a poor public speaker then do the write up, but I think then your interview day will not fare well to be honest.

I was accepted back in August and I still look up videos once a week just out of interest lol

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My 2 cents to anyone: do the video. It is way better and I think key towards my acceptance. I received a secondary early but had to wait to submit because my LORs were still being processed, so for like 2 weeks I thought about my video and had various ideas of what to do. The day my LORs were received I had not even made an attempt at my video, so I went ahead and spent the next 2 days recording myself and created two versions to submit and I ultimately decided on the one that I felt was rushed, but somewhat original. I mean I spent an embarrassing amount of time thinking about how to do my video and I ultimately sort of winged it and I think I came off more natural.

In the time I had to wait for my LORs to be processed, I watched just about ever video that was available on YouTube and even found a way to view the private listed ones. The quality ranged from impressive to garbage. If you have a crappy camera or are admittedly a poor public speaker then do the write up, but I think then your interview day will not fare well to be honest.

I was accepted back in August and I still look up videos once a week just out of interest lol
Did you just speak the entire 2 mins? What exactly did you talk about if you don't mind me asking? The vids I viewed varied but I don't want to sound repetitive and just talk about why do. I feel that if I'm doing a video, it should be a mix of my passion for medicine and who I am such as my life experiences, hobbies, etc which is why I feel maybe doing some voice over with pictures to accompany the vid might be good. I'm just brainstorming right now.

Did you just speak the entire 2 mins? What exactly did you talk about if you don't mind me asking? The vids I viewed varied but I don't want to sound repetitive and just talk about why do. I feel that if I'm doing a video, it should be a mix of my passion for medicine and who I am such as my life experiences, hobbies, etc which is why I feel maybe doing some voice over with pictures to accompany the vid might be good. I'm just brainstorming right now.
My video was a mixture of speaking and pictures.

Has anyone taken the shuttle from El Paso airport to Las Cruces?

Also can we leave our luggage at BCOM?

Has anyone taken the shuttle from El Paso airport to Las Cruces?

Also can we leave our luggage at BCOM?

Haven't taken the shuttle, but unless your luggage is something like just a backpack, I doubt you can leave it at the school while you interview. (I assume you mean that you'll be going straight to the school from El Paso? Or checking out early from the hotel?) Someone brought a backpack to my interview and they were okay with you leaving it in the office.

Last edited:
I'm trying to book my flight. Could those of you who already interviewed provide insights into the schedule for the day? Thanks!

I'm trying to book my flight. Could those of you who already interviewed provide insights into the schedule for the day? Thanks!
I'm interviewing tomorrow, check-in is at 8:15am and it's supposed to last until about 1pm.

P.s. anyone in town should come check out Las Cruces International Mariachi Conference at the historic plaza in Mesilla - it's amazing!

Sent from my Studio 6.0 LTE using SDN mobile

I was there recently. I would be happy to answer any schedule questions! Just PM me (parking, distance, arrival time, etc)? Or, I can give you a schedule overview :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm interviewing tomorrow, check-in is at 8:15am and it's supposed to last until about 1pm.

P.s. anyone in town should come check out Las Cruces International Mariachi Conference at the historic plaza in Mesilla - it's amazing!

I was there recently. I would be happy to answer any schedule questions! Just PM me (parking, distance, arrival time, etc)? Or, I can give you a schedule overview :)

Do you guys think I'll be able to catch my 4pm flight in El Paso?

I think so. It was a 45-50min drive from El Paso to Las Cruces. That would get you to the airport with two hours before departure.

Does II goes out only on Wednesdays? Just Curious.

Members don't see this ad :)

Lunch is around 12 or so. You're free to leave if you don't want lunch. There's nothing after lunch. Someone at my interview left at 1 PM for his flight. You should be able to make it.

Does II goes out only on Wednesdays? Just Curious.
I may have read that to be true earlier in the thread. I think someone said that II and admission decisions go out on the same day?

Yes and yes. Wednesday is the day to "brace yourself" for this school as history has repeatedly shown.

Yes and yes. Wednesday is the day to "brace yourself" for this school as history has repeatedly shown.
OK thanks, eagerly waiting for this Wednesday. If I do not get II this wednesday, I will never get, that's what I feel.

When I called the admissions like two weeks ago, they said it'd be 2 weeks (back logged) but some people are getting responses after a month of submission. I would wait until the 5th week after secondary submission before panicking and calling the school. This is probably the busiest time of the cycle, and tbh, this school seems much faster than most. Probably one of those schools that want to have like 70% of their class filled by December.

When did you submit?
Submitted like 3 weeks ago and when I emailed adcom, they said I should be hearing this week if I get any II. They said they were backlogged and were trying to catch up by Sep 15th.

If I didn't catch my interviewers email address how can I send them a thank you email in time before decisions are made?

If I didn't catch my interviewers email address how can I send them a thank you email in time before decisions are made?

If you remember their name, check the school's website directory. It lists all of staff and faculty's contact info.

Just know that they give their recommendations during the after interview lunch. While all the interviewees sit together, the interviewers and admissions discuss their impressions.

Submitted like 3 weeks ago and when I emailed adcom, they said I should be hearing this week if I get any II. They said they were backlogged and were trying to catch up by Sep 15th.

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Don't panic if you hear nothing tomorrow. I would call them about a status update if you don't hear anything by next week Wednesday (It's what I plan on doing).

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Don't panic if you hear nothing tomorrow. I would call them about a status update if you don't hear anything by next week Wednesday (It's what I plan on doing).

Actually, BCOM has been the most precise/accurate when it comes to promised communication. I emailed them two weeks ago on a Monday, they responded on Tuesday saying that the adcom was reviewing my app on Wednesday and that I should hear back by Wednesday PM or Thursday AM and sure enough I heard back 6PM on Wednesday.

So I'm sure you'll hear back and I hope it's with an II!!!!! :)

Reactions: 1 users
II are through email

II are through email

I first read this as "II through email just now" and was freaking out when I saw nothing in my inbox. *Continues to spam refresh on gmail*

Anyone heard of wizzed101? I'm pretty sure he/she is a troll. Anyone else confirm?

72032810.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Received a II at 6:50 EST!!!! So excited. Complete 9/3. Also, is it possible to reschedule your interview if an earlier date is available?

Like everyone in the thread said Wednesday is the day . II scheduled for 12/02.:)

Complete 9/11. II: 09/28.

Reactions: 3 users
Received a II at 6:50 EST!!!! So excited. Complete 9/3. Also, is it possible to reschedule your interview if an earlier date is available?
When are you scheduled for interview?

Completed 9/6 and nada yet =/. I'm internally screaming at my job atm.

Not sure what that would entail, but I know it's possible. People have done it recently. It may be as simple as just selecting a new date on their portal.

Think if I was complete 10 days ago it's probably too soon to freak out?

Yes. They told me to wait two weeks. It seems like due to it being high time in the season, it's looking more like 3 weeks - a month.

Last edited: