Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to all of the new acceptees!!!! (Not a real word, I know )

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your head up! Remember what Adrian said about the high turnover rate. Good luck on your upcoming interview!

This is very very true. Towards the middle/end of the cycle, as more students get accepted to their higher rank schools (no offense to BCOM, just have to accept the fact that its a new school with no record), they will drop their seats and you should see a lot of movement.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is very very true. Towards the middle/end of the cycle, as more students get accepted to their higher rank schools (no offense to BCOM, just have to accept the fact that its a new school with no record), they will drop their seats and you should see a lot of movement.

What is considered the middle of the cycle? I thought that people don't get pulled off until really late in the game (like May or so).

What is considered the middle of the cycle? I thought that people don't get pulled off until really late in the game (like May or so).

People can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th. At that point, they have to pick one and run with it.

With that said, some students will withdrawal their acceptance early if they get into a school higher on their list.

There may be some "traffic rule" changes to the process in the future. I'm not sure when they'll be implemented or if it'll impact the May 15 mandatory declaration for accepted students.

Good luck!

I will be withdrawing my acceptance to BCOM. I really enjoyed interview day, making my secondary video, and the whole experience. I am always going to remember the day I was accepted very vividly for years to come. As an underdog applicant, I was and continue to be grateful for the acceptance.

Good Luck to all and keep your head up!

Reactions: 4 users
People can hold multiple acceptances until May 15th. At that point, they have to pick one and run with it.

With that said, some students will withdrawal their acceptance early if they get into a school higher on their list.

There may be some "traffic rule" changes to the process in the future. I'm not sure when they'll be implemented or if it'll impact the May 15 mandatory declaration for accepted students.

Good luck!

"Traffic rule" changes? Can you please clarify? (Or give me a reference to look it up myself)

Haha no worries! Yeah it'll probably be 2-3 weeks before they get back to you about an II so just gotta be patient at this point!

What sucks is that when i asked dr. Arana why i havent gotten a secondary - she said they sent one in july... But obviously i never got it. I just thought they were waiting for my mcat retake. Ughhhhh i could been ahead of the game!
Haha no worries! Yeah it'll probably be 2-3 weeks before they get back to you about an II so just gotta be patient at this point!

They're really good about getting back to you within the 2-3 weeks timeframe. I'm very impressed with the quick turnaround.

What sucks is that when i asked dr. Arana why i havent gotten a secondary - she said they sent one in july... But obviously i never got it. I just thought they were waiting for my mcat retake. Ughhhhh i could been ahead of the game!

That does suck:/ keep your head up though

You'll be okay. :)

If you're accepted and think you may be attending could you guys join the Facebook page? Curious as to who potentially could be classmates next July

Is anyone else interviewing 10/14? I'm really concerned that the class will be mainly filled up by this point. Is this going to be the case?

DW about not being the very first one to interview. If you get invited for an II (if you are a qualified candidate), you will get one regardless if you applied late or early. From there, the onus on whether you get accepted/rejected/WL is on you, not when you interviewed. All I can say is that it's still early in the cycle and you can always learn from your failures!

mccoy915 post: 18240322 said:
Is anyone else interviewing 10/14? I'm really concerned that the class will be mainly filled up by this point. Is this going to be the case?
Do you mean 11/14? Cuz I interviewed on 10/14

Nah man. He meant 10/14.

Back-to-the-Future-1.jpg

For those who already interviewed... Any specific topics to prepare for? Tips and suggestions

For those who already interviewed... Any specific topics to prepare for? Tips and suggestions

Pour over the information on the BCOM website as there is a TON of information about the school, the curriculum, GME, new residencies they created, and very importantly the schools mission. Also, I'd be familiar with the health care needs of that region of the US (high percentage of underserved etc) just try to look up general interview questions on google as we can't tell you what we discussed in our interview and you'll be fine! Oh and make sure you're smiling and personable

Good luck!

People can hold multiple acceptances as long as they want. The May 15th traffic GUIDELINE is used to allow schools the authority to notify students who have multiple acceptances that they have 30 days to respond with a decision to declare their school or to withdraw for good. From May 15th on schools can do this, but may choose not to. However, even if they do this at the earliest time you still have until June 15th at the earliest until someone is forced to drop a spot with multiple acceptances.

Pour over the information on the BCOM website as there is a TON of information about the school, the curriculum, GME, new residencies they created, and very importantly the schools mission. Also, I'd be familiar with the health care needs of that region of the US (high percentage of underserved etc) just try to look up general interview questions on google as we can't tell you what we discussed in our interview and you'll be fine! Oh and make sure you're smiling and personable
Thank you so much!!

To y'all who are interviewing tomorrow just wanted to say good luck! It's a great interview experience and hopefully some of you will be joining our class this Wednesday

Just withdrew my interview offer for November 21st (IS acceptance), hopefully one of you guys can hop into my spot. Good Luck, this is a great program!

Hey quick question. Is the $3,000 deposit non-refundable if I chose not to attend here later? I was under the assumption that it would not be returned but when I was reading the portal, it says:
"Refunds for withdrawal or dismissal from BCOM will be reimbursed according to the refund policy set by BCOM. A detailed refund policy can be found in the BCOM Student Handbook. Withdrawal request must be submitted in writing to Adrian Alba, the Director of Admissions."

Does this apply to the initial deposit? Thanks!

Hey quick question. Is the $3,000 deposit non-refundable if I chose not to attend here later? I was under the assumption that it would not be returned but when I was reading the portal, it says:
"Refunds for withdrawal or dismissal from BCOM will be reimbursed according to the refund policy set by BCOM. A detailed refund policy can be found in the BCOM Student Handbook. Withdrawal request must be submitted in writing to Adrian Alba, the Director of Admissions."

Does this apply to the initial deposit? Thanks!
No, that is probably in regard to tuition or something else. Deposit is 100% non refundable.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile