Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone, who has access to the II calendar, tell me what's the latest interview date right now?
September 12th is the latest one I see!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just gave up my Aug 22 interview date for a later date, if anyone wants to call and snatch it up!

Somebody watched my video on YouTube (spoooooky)

They watched the whole thing, which was very nice of them

Reactions: 3 users
How embarrassing would it be if our video links were distributed out :p

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha I've seen quite a few public ones. I made mine unlisted. No thanks to hundreds of uninvited viewers

Reactions: 1 users
I tried clicking on the date (Sept 2) but nothing's popping up...oh wait lol nvm

Last edited:
So this school does not receive federal financial aid? Can someone elaborate. Would I need private loans? Sorry for the ignorance.

The school is not currently eligible for Federal aid due to accreditation. They are AS ACCREDITED as they can be at this stage, however there is a wait period. Unless I was misinformed FAFSA will be available fall of 2018. In the mean time BCOM has lending agreements with Sally Mae and Wells Fargo in particular, and there are several other private loan options available. You are NOT limited to Wells Fargo/Sally Mae.

If you are considering BCOM, or any newer program (MD OR DO) I would suggest using this time to aggressively repair/improve your credit.

Just thinking of a hypothetical situation but... Is there a chance you could accept your offer to this school, and then closer to when classes start somehow find out that you weren't approved for a private loan?? Does this ever happen? What do you do then if you have already committed to going and gave up a seat at other schools? Are you just SOL?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thinking of a hypothetical situation but... Is there a chance you could accept your offer to this school, and then closer to when classes start somehow find out that you weren't approved for a private loan?? Does this ever happen? What do you do then if you have already committed to going and gave up a seat at other schools? Are you just SOL?

Speak with financial aid, our head financial aid contact has connections with NMSL and more and can get them to negotiate. You'd contact the school and see if there's anything they can do but this is why you pull your scores and pay off debt. You have 12 months to get squared away. Worst case I suppose you could defer a year and then you'd have 24 months to pay off your debt

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

hey guys, I submitted the app on 7/11 and paid also, but there is still a red X next to recommendation letters and appilication complete, is this something that I should contact them about? especially the LOR X ? or does this eventually change for u guys?

hey guys, I submitted the app on 7/11 and paid also, but there is still a red X next to recommendation letters and appilication complete, is this something that I should contact them about? especially the LOR X ? or does this eventually change for u guys?

I contacted their admissions office and if you submitted it via AACOMAS, do not worry about it. It takes them some time to process it because they have to manually check them on in their system. Just keep monitoring your status.

I contacted their admissions office and if you submitted it via AACOMAS, do not worry about it. It takes them some time to process it because they have to manually check them on in their system. Just keep monitoring your status.
thank you!

You should know within days if you were approved for the loan or not. So, unless you get accepted a week before classes start, then you should be perfectly fine. Not to mention, BCOM has deadlines to stop this from happening and a loan service provider will not withdraw an offer once you sign the terms and conditions that apply.

I held 3 spots including one at BCOM through mid April and then once I knew the loan situation would work out (after much back and forth between lenders to get the best possible loan rate of 7.24%- had it been ridiculously high (>9%) would have gone with my second choice), took another week to really think through what I wanted then called and withdrew from the other 2 schools. But I also was in a situation where I really liked all 3 places so it came down to where will I be happiest and not this one generic school vs some other generic school that I got into and might as well go bc those were my options/last resorts. I wouldn't hold multiple spots unless I had a real interest in attending the school of course bc that's just inconsiderate but DO take some time to think about what school is right for you. So I wouldn't rush into decisions if I were you when given an opportunity at more than one place/multiple acceptances if I was lucky enough to get them.

for the secondary, if we want to submit a published research paper how would we go about doing that? Just send the link or type up the paper...?

for the secondary, if we want to submit a published research paper how would we go about doing that? Just send the link or type up the paper...?

I think if you went this route, it might be a good idea to submit the actual paper since it's a physical exhibit. if you just wanted to include the link, I feel like you could do that via the essay route.

btw! I heard from admissions that the committee will be meeting again this wednesday and deciding on another batch of potential IIs. :whoa:

btw! I heard from admissions that the committee will be meeting again this wednesday and deciding on another batch of potential IIs. :whoa:
So II's can be going out tomorrow?

So II's can be going out tomorrow?

possibly? they said "should hear by the end of the week" if you're in the batch to be reviewed for this week.

For those who have already interviewed, can I ask what you did to prepare? This is my first interview and I don't know what to expect/how to prepare/what to wear... haha.

For those who have already interviewed, can I ask what you did to prepare? This is my first interview and I don't know what to expect/how to prepare/what to wear... haha.
I didn't do a TON in terms of interview prep. I reviewed my personal statement and essays. That was about it. Your application reflects YOU, they're trying to get to know the things that don't come across in that app. I didn't feel like I needed to prepare to be myself.

If there are trouble spots on your app, it might be worth some reflection on what those spots are, why they're there, and how you have addressed them and grown from that.

As far as what to wear: (I'm assuming you're a woman from your avatar) professional attire. Men should wear suits and ties, nothing flashy. I'm NOT a fan of bow-ties on interview day. I would wear appropriate-height heels or flats. Wouldn't be a bad idea to make sure they're comfortable, there will be some walking. Pants suit is always a safe go-to. Jewelry should be minimal/understated. Hair should be done professionally. You don't want a run-way blow out before an interview. Makeup should also be minimal. Cologne/perfume - I say don't wear any, if you do VERY minimal. I kept my cell phone turned off the entire interview experience. You don't want anything about your appearance to distract from you. If you wear a dress, I would make sure tattoos are covered. Basically all the same things you would do for a corporate job interview apply here.

Take some time to review the school's mission and think about why that speaks to you.

Beyond that, relax and be yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
As far as what to expect...they're just trying to get to know you. Interview set-up varies. sometimes you'll have one-on-one with 2 or more people. Sometimes it's a panel of 2-3. Sometimes it's a physician, and teaching faculty. Some times a MS3 or 4 will be present. This just depends on the program. Mostly, just relax. Everyone's nervous. Make sure you ask about anything you'd like to know about the program. Interviews are a great way for you to feel out the program to make sure it's a good fit for you.

As far as what to expect...they're just trying to get to know you. Interview set-up varies. sometimes you'll have one-on-one with 2 or more people. Sometimes it's a panel of 2-3. Sometimes it's a physician, and teaching faculty. Some times a MS3 or 4 will be present. This just depends on the program. Mostly, just relax. Everyone's nervous. Make sure you ask about anything you'd like to know about the program. Interviews are a great way for you to feel out the program to make sure it's a good fit for you.

Wow thanks for your feedback! What was the interview setup like for Burrell itself?

My interview was with 2 men. The interview is relaxed, they gave me a bottle of water and struck up small talk before we got down to business. It was real easy going and the interview had less to do with technical issues and my application and more to do with ME.

Reactions: 2 users
If they're marked as "public!"

I did public unlisted, so only people with the link can see it

Wait Omg. People can SEE them?!

Hah, well, I didn't title mine "Burell" so it isn't searchable..unless you guys are finding them somewhere else.

It does have 20+ views...so someone has been viewing it;). Hah.

Wow! Phenomenal job with the videos, guys and gals! I was VERY impressed. You all should get an II :) best of luck to all of you.

Some VERY good videos. Mine definitely feels bare compared to others, but did get me an invite, fortunately.

COOL I am realizing I pronounced the name of the school wrong my entire video. I even made an SDN post to assure I had it correct!

BCOM is great at communicating with its applicants. I was worried that they did not receive my letters of recommendation so I called yesterday and nobody was available so I left a message. I got a phone call back this morning saying that they received my letters and will be looking at my application sometime next week so I should hear from them soon. Two thumbs up for them communicating with me when some schools can't even send a simple generic rejection email.

Reactions: 1 users
Mines there :) hope who watched enjoyed! I tried to think of something creative

BCOM is great at communicating with its applicants. I was worried that they did not receive my letters of recommendation so I called yesterday and nobody was available so I left a message. I got a phone call back this morning saying that they received my letters and will be looking at my application sometime next week so I should hear from them soon. Two thumbs up for them communicating with me when some schools can't even send a simple generic rejection email.

When did you submit?