Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ImageUploadedBySDN1469139697.930813.jpg

This was my exhibit I sent in... You think it'll get me an II? It took me like three hours do to the shading on the upper lip

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks man. I guess I was just getting concerned because someone said "1 and a half weeks" was the turnaround rate to expect. But they HAVE had a significant increase in applications, so I shouldn't be surprised

Yeah, I heard there was an increase in applications. That's good news for the school

Members don't see this ad :)
nah they don't give it to us to watch haha. Just be patient, they definitely meet often and are a fast turnaround school. Enjoy your freedom while it lasts! "Med school is coming"
Great words of advice! Thank you! I am also waiting to hear back after submitting my Secondary a few days ago. By the way, if you have a moment, I'd love to PM you a few questions about the school and your experience so far? I can totally understand if you are not available. But, in case you have a few minutes to spare, I'd really appreciate it :)

Great words of advice! Thank you! I am also waiting to hear back after submitting my Secondary a few days ago. By the way, if you have a moment, I'd love to PM you a few questions about the school and your experience so far? I can totally understand if you are not available. But, in case you have a few minutes to spare, I'd really appreciate it :)

Go for it

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
Definitely check your portal and make sure it's 100% complete. When I applied last year I did everything but check 1 box. I waited a week worrying and then when I saw people getting IIs, I checked it and boom, II came soon. Quite the face palm but it worked out in the end!

The views are probably other students lol, we in the class saw the videos quite some time ago but didn't post about them for everyone's privacy

That's quite noble of you...concerned about people's privacy and what not.

Hey guys how long did it take for BCOM to verify your letters of rec? I submitted my letters through my AACOMAS primary and I submitted the BCOM secondary on 7/15 and theres still a red X next to it?

rumor is BCOM got the largest increase in applications out of any school in the country so there maybe a delay in when they respond. I expect the averages of this class to be higher than the 3.5/25 of the inaugural class, maybe 3.6 and 27

Does anyone know what the app number is at so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a newer school so don't let the numbers scare you. Some people apply because they wanna go there, some apply for safety nets, and some people apply to almost every school on the AACOMAS list. This is a school that everybody should apply to.

For those who live in New Mexico, how much do you pay for car insurance?

How is everyone going to prepare for this interview? Is there gonna be a MMI?

For those who live in New Mexico, how much do you pay for car insurance?

Went from 350 to 118. Two cars, full coverage

If it's anything at all like last year then they'll have you in a room with two interviewers for a 30 minute interview. It's a pretty stress free interview. They really just want to get to you know as a person.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Just like what @TexasMedic15 said they really just want to get to know you. With that being said make sure you know your application in its whole entirety and be prepared to elaborate on it in detail.. if they ask about it. I also suggest to do your research on New Mexico health care as that is always something that can be brought up. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. This incoming class is very friendly and we are all here to help you out.

Reactions: 6 users
Just like what @TexasMedic15 said they really just want to get to know you. With that being said make sure you know your application in its whole entirety and be prepared to elaborate on it in detail.. if they ask about it. I also suggest to do your research on New Mexico health care as that is always something that can be brought up. If you have any other questions feel free to ask. This incoming class is very friendly and we are all here to help you out.

could you tell us a bit about NM's healthcare system?

could you tell us a bit about NM's healthcare system?

I'm not an expert on it, nor can I provide anything substantial that can't simply be found by just a quick Google search. I do know that one of the biggest concers today is New Mexico is facing a huge physician shortage.

http://m.koat.com/news/new-mexico-dealing-with-doctor-shortage/37997396

I wouldn't simply go off this source above since it's not an .edu/ .org or anything credible , but it's just something to prime your brain while you research more on the healthcare.

They don't seem too big on drilling applicants with complex questions, but I was just saying it would be good to know in case someone brings up the health policy research institute since they go hand- and -hand with the healthcare of NM.

http://www.abqjournal.com/706140/new-med-school-to-offer-focus-on-border-health.html

Hopefully this helps, and points you all in the right direction!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not an expert on it, nor can I provide anything substantial that can't simply be found by just a quick Google search. I do know that one of the biggest concers today is New Mexico is facing a huge physician shortage.

I wouldn't simply go off this source above since it's not an .edu/ .org or anything credible , but it's just something to prime your brain while you research more on the healthcare.

They don't seem too big on drilling applicants with complex questions, but I was just saying it would be good to know in case someone brings up the health policy research institute since they go hand- and -hand with the healthcare of NM.

http://www.abqjournal.com/706140/new-med-school-to-offer-focus-on-border-health.html

thanks so much. :) really appreciate the resources and advice.

Yes! Thank you so much (high-five!!)

So who here is going for the Sept 16th interview?

By the way, how important would you estimate it is to know some basic spanish while being a BCOM student this coming cycle for your class?

So who here is going for the Sept 16th interview?
Congratulations!!! I'm still waiting to hear back after submitting my secondary last week. By the way, about how many days after you submitted and your portal read "completed secondary" did BCOM notify you of an interview invite?

Congratulations!!! I'm still waiting to hear back after submitting my secondary last week. By the way, about how many days after you submitted and your portal read "completed secondary" did BCOM notify you of an interview invite?

Thanks!! Secondary submitted 7/10, interview invite 7/20. I did not check when it said completed secondary on my portal, sorry!

By the way, how important would you estimate it is to know some basic spanish while being a BCOM student this coming cycle for your class?

I can't speak on the majority of the class, but the only Spanish I know/ remember is from whatever I took in high school.. and that was about 7 years ago (and it's not much)

They integrate medical Spanish into the curriculum which is really awesome, so I don't think they really expect you to know much coming in. If you do, I'm sure you'll be ahead of the curve

Also, they are in the process of moving out the temporary buildings at NMSU and into BCOM so they told us emails will be down until Monday (July 25). Just in case you all have tried to contact them last week and have received no response.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks!! Secondary submitted 7/10, interview invite 7/20. I did not check when it said completed secondary on my portal, sorry!
Super! Thank you so much :) I hope you have fun and enjoy your interview day! If at all possible, keep us posted on how it all went (thumbs-up!)!

I can't speak on the majority of the class, but the only Spanish I know/ remember is from whatever I took in high school.. and that was about 7 years ago (and it's not much)

They integrate medical Spanish into the curriculum which is really awesome, so I don't think they really expect you to know much coming in. If you do, I'm sure you'll be ahead of the curve

Also, they are in the process of moving out the temporary buildings at NMSU and into BCOM so they told us emails will be down until Monday (July 25). Just in case you all have tried to contact them last week and have received no response.
Got it! Thank you for getting back to me and for the heads-up on the email situation :)

Nope, my letters and app complete are still not green checks. But I emailed admissions and he said if letters are with AACOMAS, they have them, and the portal does not automatically update. He said when you submit your app and pay the fee, you will hear back usually in 1-1.5 weeks!

Great to hear this. This is how my app has been since last week. I thought I did something wrong.

Hey does anyone know if the committee is meeting today?

They met yesterday as far as I've heard. For those of us in the review, we should be hearing a decision sometime today.

Awesome thats what I heard as well. Thanks!

I am really curious as to how this school will do since now I won't be there to experience it myself (I mean this in a good way, expecting it to succeed). Very nice infrastructure, medical instruments, and what looks to be a solid teaching staff. The only thing that scares me about this school, which it won't happen anytime soon anyway, is that they want to expand their class size to some ~350 students.

I am really curious as to how this school will do since now I won't be there to experience it myself (I mean this in a good way, expecting it to succeed). Very nice infrastructure, medical instruments, and what looks to be a solid teaching staff. The only thing that scares me about this school, which it won't happen anytime soon anyway, is that they want to expand their class size to some ~350 students.

They want to hit 300, with 90% of students coming from NM. Long, long term goal.

I'm guessing this means nothing for today? I was so excited :(

Still hope guys. 1 hour left until 7pm mountain time.

They are doing orientations today, right? Are we certain they met yesterday?