business administration courses for pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nextyearrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been a pharmacist for over 3 years, I recently got a job as PIC at a new Independent pharmacy. I want to take some business/marketing courses that will help me grow the business better.

Has anyone had an experience of taking such business/marketing courses that helps with pharmacy profession??

:)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure about specific classes but I know there are organizations for indi owners and they hold meetings and talk a lot about this kind of stuff. I've never been to one but it's just an idea that may be worth looking into in terms of expanding the services that you offer/community involvement.

Check out Coursera for a bunch of high quality free courses from B-schools around the country. They might not exactly fit pharmacy, but they're free and are pretty neat/interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
I usually DON'T recommend pharmacy specific academic business classes unless they are in regulation (aka Dealing with the FDA) since it's a specific target. Consider looking into entrepreneurship and small business classes rather than the pharmacy ones. If you want the pharmacy-specific content, consider joining NCPA, going to their meeting, and taking one of the short courses that they offer. It's a better investment than the pharmacy graduate classes most of the time.

Something like:
https://my.wpcarey.asu.edu/undergra...icate_Small-Business-Entrepreneurship-new.pdf

I'd really suggest that you consider taking/reading in these areas to start:
1. Business Negotiation Tactics class especially if you have to deal with insurance contracting.
2. Managerial Finance and Accounting if you have to deal with the books
3. Conflict/Consumer Psychology/Personal Sales for obvious reasons (I consider this the most important class for the undergraduate pharmacists to understand how to deal with dangerous patients and difficult prescribers).