business card as pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dedicated1989

officially gonna be a doctor!!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was considering getting a few business cards printed and just having some on me in case I do happen to meet the Dean of a Medical school out at a bar one night. Thoughts?

I am a re applicant so every little thing could make the difference!

Members don't see this ad.

I was considering getting a few business cards printed and just having some on me in case I do happen to meet the Dean of a Medical school out at a bar one night. Thoughts?

What would you put on it?

Reactions: 4 users
1) My current job as a research associate (lab tech)
2) Pre medical student

or both? Along with my name and email...

Members don't see this ad :)
You're serious?

Reactions: 19 users
please don't do this.

In no way would this actually be helpful, and it would probably make you seem pompous. Instead, spend that money and time on improving the weak areas of your app.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Only a good idea if they look like this:

Otherwise forget it

Do less, OP. Do less.

Reactions: 1 users
Bahahaha. Premedical? Naw. Maybe your name, number, and email but that's all. Otherwise you'll look like a total d-bag.

Reactions: 2 users
If you have a job as a research associate, get cards from your employer. Do NOT make tacky premedical cards.

Reactions: 3 users
You're setting your standards too low, OP. If you meet a med school Dean at a bar, don't give them your card, invite them to hang out!

The reason I got in is because when I ran into the dean, we put down some tequila shots, then went back to my place and played Rock Band until 3am. Once we woke up, we went on an impromptu skydiving trip. We're total best buds, now.

Result: accepted.

Reactions: 10 users
What would you put on it?

I agree with this. I think it would come off as being lame.

Edited: OP, there was an interesting thread here effectively mocking the neuroticism of a lot of premeds. One of them even had a white coat with his name and "MS-0" (although interestingly, he hadn't been accepted yet, I don't think). Your idea ranks up there with that one in my opinion. You would become the laughing stock of the admissions office. Don't do it!

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, so once you "happen" to run into the Dean and give him your card, how will that improve your chances?

Okay, so once you "happen" to run into the Dean and give him your card, how will that improve your chances?
-Dean goes home. Takes out card
-Turns over card
-Notices URL printed on back of card. Boots up Firefox
-Website shows incriminating photos of Dean with his secretary in the back room at the office holiday party
-Dean (panicking) dials number on card
-Hears recording threatening to share the URL with his wife if dedicated1989 is rejected
-Result: accepted

I say go for it OP!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
2) Pre medical student

:thumbdown:

Just out of my own curiosity, how about for medical students? I know a few people in business or policy masters that got some for perspective employers.

-Turns over card
-Website shows incriminating photos of Dean with his secretary in the back room at the office holiday party
-Hears recording threatening to share the URL with his wife if dedicated1989 is rejected

I say go for it OP!
:laugh:Total Walter White style move. Love it!
What would be better, OP would be a lab coat with your name and "premed" embroidered on it.

Don't forget to include your GPA and MCAT scores

Reactions: 12 users
I'm being too mean. Don't get business cards. You won't need them and it obviously won't make an admissions dean favor you.

Quality thread OP

:thumbup:

Seems like a good idea. Why don't you provide a copy of your MDapps to go along with the card :thumbup:

is your email address something like "[email protected]" or something? i've seen plenty of pre-meds with "MD" in their email address lol or "[email protected]" is another example. please don't do that. ie, put "dr" or "md" or "premed" or whatever else. just put your degree title and department name and school, etc. like "BA, Drama, UCLA" or whatever you'd put

@TheKDizzle check this one out:

Oh yeah, it could make a difference all right.
But not the one you want. :thumbdown:

I agree with this. I think it would come off as being lame.

Edited: OP, there was an interesting thread here effectively mocking the neuroticism of a lot of premeds. One of them even had a white coat with his name and "MS-0" (although interestingly, he hadn't been accepted yet, I don't think). Your idea ranks up there with that one in my opinion. You would become the laughing stock of the admissions office. Don't do it!
The worst I've seen is someone at my school wearing scrubs to Bio 1. I asked if they worked in a clinic or the red cross. Answer: Nope. Shadowing? (nerd): No. The person wanted to "dress the part of a pre-med and let everyone know they were serious." I felt so embarrassed for that person. A couple weeks went by and he wasn't wearing them anymore.

What the crap. Lol. After I came back to my dorm from my CNA job I whipped off my scrubs asap. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be seen in them. Embarrassing!

Probably not necessary, since it definitely wouldn't increase your chance of being accepted into med school

2) Pre medical student

Business cards are great for when someone was so unimpressive that I don't even try to remember their name.

If you actually do run into a medical school Dean at a bar, then I seriously question your taste in which bars to go to. You're supposed to be going to bars where the crowd is mostly people in their early-mid 20s! Not a bar for 40-50+ year olds

No. Please don't be "that guy".

So do hot deans really come running once you get your business cards.

Reactions: 6 users
-Turns over card

I say go for it OP!

Reminds me of this:

20061207.gif

OP,
No.
It is a tactless move, and would likely be received as "hey, I know I haven't really accomplished anything of landmark mention in my life, but I'm pompous enough to feel that I should be distinguished from the other members of the pre-med community, and so here is a card for you to remember me by." Honestly, if I were a medical school dean, I would probably hold onto that card and wait for you to eventually apply to my program. If the committee were to invite you for an interview, I'd make sure I was the person to interview you, and after your interview I'd close with the following question

"One last thing before we end our discussion (pulls out 'pre-med business card'), this made its way to me some time ago, to circumstances in which I have since forgotten. Just out of curiosity, what was the purpose of making these cards and giving one to me?"

If the interviewee did anything other than laugh at themselves for it, I would automatically reject them. Seriously, to think that they could deliver some kind of meaningful reason for having done that, is just laughable, and as a potential entering medical student I would expect them to be able to own up to when they did something stupid. Trying to cover it up or play it off just wouldn't sit well with me. It's very, very, tactless.

If you actually do run into a medical school Dean at a bar, then I seriously question your taste in which bars to go to. You're supposed to be going to bars where the crowd is mostly people in their early-mid 20s! Not a bar for 40-50+ year olds

Maybe that dean wants to press their luck in hopes to land someone who wants an older foxy person :p

Can you guess how many microseconds it would take my Dean to throw the card away once you left the bar?

Reactions: 7 users
Can you guess how many microseconds it would take my Dean to throw the card away once you left the bar?

Your dean would wait until he left? ;)

I would just toss it away in front of them to let them know how meaningless they are to me hahaha

It's funny about the things that you want to have but don't need.

It sometimes becomes a bit of an obsession.

I couldn't wait to put on that white coat after I matriculated to med school. Now in private practice, I never wear it.

I once thought that I've really made it in the world if I had my own business cards. When I started at my hospital four years ago I was given a box of business cards. To date, I've given it to 3-4 people, tops. For a while I was throwing them into the fishbowl they leave out at restaraunts and Staples. I never go out often enough to raise the odds of winning anything, and for Staples it's just a way of getting your contact info. So I stopped. I still have 980/1000 of those cards.

Muahahaha! Another great tollpost, thank you.

This means his dean has good manners.

I know. I hope you do realize that I was joking and wouldn't do something like that to others should I ever be in the academic/administration side of medicine in 10-15 years or so. I'm not a heartless jerk.

-Turns over card
-Notices URL printed on back of card. Boots up Internet Explorer

I say go for it OP!

FTFY

I know. I hope you do realize that I was joking and wouldn't do something like that to others should I ever be in the academic/administration side of medicine in 10-15 years or so. I'm not a heartless jerk.
Not to worry. I knew you were kidding. My bad for not including a smiley face. :D

If you're going to be attending conferences and meeting people with whom you want to work with for research, some form of shadowing, networking, etc then a simple business card with name and contact would be helpful. You need to make a good impression on the person first though, not just go out and handing a card to every person you see..

As far as your reasoning for wanting one: No. Business cards serve a purpose and not meant for keeping on your person for the off chance of meeting someone. In that instance you'd want to hope you're not drunk and just make a good impression and get HIS contact information in order to follow up on your meeting. Just don't say something like "Remember me? We met at the bar."

If you're going to be attending conferences and meeting people with whom you want to work with for research, some form of shadowing, networking, etc then a simple business card with name and contact would be helpful. You need to make a good impression on the person first though, not just go out and handing a card to every person you see..

As far as your reasoning for wanting one: No. Business cards serve a purpose and not meant for keeping on your person for the off chance of meeting someone. In that instance you'd want to hope you're not drunk and just make a good impression and get HIS contact information in order to follow up on your meeting. Just don't say something like "Remember me? We met at the bar."

Nice necrobump.

What the crap. Lol. After I came back to my dorm from my CNA job I whipped off my scrubs asap. I can't imagine why anyone would want to be seen in them. Embarrassing!
I've gone from the hospital straight to the gym before a few times and felt disgusting each time

Just out of my own curiosity, how about for medical students? I know a few people in business or policy masters that got some for perspective employers.
It's a good idea if your interests lie beyond practicing medicine. I have business cards (school, name, LinkedIn, number, email, degree) with a professional template offered by the school, and so do most grad students (non-MD, non-PhD) I've met on the road. Works well at recruiting fairs and networking events with the non-medical crowd, where almost everyone else has one.