Business Casual for Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Siverhideo1985

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview that says "business casual" in the invite letter. Do I really not wear a suit?

Members don't see this ad.

ALWAYS wear a suit. This is the time to look your best and be professional.

Better to be overdressed than underdressed. You never want to stand out for what you are wearing at an interview and nobody can dock you for being overdressed.

a full suit is not business casual. I assume not jeans but maybe khakis for guys and dress shirt with/without tie for guys and dress pants and shirt for gals..

Can anyone weigh in on this...any input esp. from those who have been there will be highly appreciated!

I have an interview that says "business casual" in the invite letter. Do I really not wear a suit?

Never heard of such a thing. Wear a suit. If you get to the interview and see that everyone really is just wearing 'business casual' then you can always take off your jacket.

It was very confusing when I read it in the invite email...I still haven't made up my mind. Anyone with experience? otherwise I'll let you guys know tomorrow evening I guess haha.

Never heard of such a thing. Wear a suit. If you get to the interview and see that everyone really is just wearing 'business casual' then you can always take off your jacket.

Yep, this is what I'd do.

I had an interview invite that says the applicants will be spending the day in scrubs so please come in to interview dressed in scrubs.....but I think I will still be wearing suits. Interesting to see how many people will actually show up in scrubs tho

I had an interview invite that says the applicants will be spending the day in scrubs so please come in to interview dressed in scrubs.....but I think I will still be wearing suits. Interesting to see how many people will actually show up in scrubs tho

I assume this is Mount Sinai anesthesia. Come in SCRUBS. everyone else will be wearing them. They will send you a reminder when it gets closer to your interview date telling you again to wear scrubs

Wow, my interviews were all suits, no question. I'm in surgery, and there wasn't a pair of scrubs in sight.

Wow, my interviews were all suits, no question. I'm in surgery, and there wasn't a pair of scrubs in sight.
IM here, everything has been suits. (except the associated dinners/happy hours, those have been usually fairly casual)

OTOH, I've heard that there are also a couple EM programs who request you interview in scrubs too. At least that's what one of my buddies said, but I can't speak firsthand.

I'm going into EM and had one interview that was business casual. I brought my suit just in case and at the dinner I asked some of the residents about this and they reassured me that it was meant to make us more comfortable, not the other way around. So I rocked business cas, and was the only person in the group of 10 who was without a suit. I felt a little awkward until the PD made a joke about only ranking people who dressed down.

And as far as scrubs on interviews, haven't heard of this for EM anywhere.

I also got an IM interview invite that said, "We want you to be as comfortable as possible. Business casual is acceptable on interview day."

I'm tempted to do it. But I'll be interviewing somewhere else the day after, so I'll have my suit with me in case I get cold feet, haha.

Last edited:
Wear a suit, and if you think you might be overdressed, take off your coat.