Business Decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sinusplumber

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone sublease space to audiology?
Just got a call from audiologist looking to sublease space in a new office I am opening in September.
I was wondering if it is better to just tell them to speak to the landlord and do his own lease. Is there any upside to me subleasing?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have an audiologist at your practice? If so, you may not want another next door. If not, then how are you going to be an ent without one?

1) I do not have an audiologist in the practice.

2) There are a number of audiology practices in town and I would say that most ENT's in town refer out to them. In fact the only fellowship trained neurotologist in town refers his patients out and does not have an audiologist in the office.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just starting /taking over a practice. I will be leasing space to a hearing aid co that does audiograms and hearing aid sales. The space in my office is worth quite a bit more to them then the actual rental value of the space (if you were just considering the square footage and property value), because they will get a lot of business from my patients. If I employed a business savy audiologist, who was successful at hearing aid sales, that would be more profitable. The problem is, it is hard to find (and keep) the right person, and there is a lot of competition in hearing aid sales, with the need for advertising, etc. I didn't go through otolaryngology training to sell hearing aids, anyway. So as they say, "if you can't beat em, join em?"

I will still employ another audiologist part time, who does all my patients' audiograms, so I will have quality control over that, and I will get the revenue from that also.

1) I do not have an audiologist in the practice.

2) There are a number of audiology practices in town and I would say that most ENT's in town refer out to them. In fact the only fellowship trained neurotologist in town refers his patients out and does not have an audiologist in the office.

Very interesting. I guess I couldn't imagine not doing audio at the time of the office visit for kids with CSOM, or failed newborn screens, or dizzy patients, tinnitus pts, sudden hearing loss pts, etc. plus hearing aids can be a nice side business. But I'm sure you know all this. Just interesting practice style in your area I'm not familiar with.

1) hearing aids can be a nice practice - Not allowed in New York State

2) Just spoke to a PED ent practice in town with 3 docs. They employ an audiologist pay them a salary and the practice bills for the audiology services. They say thats the way to go.

3) I agree that pt care would be greatly improved if you have on demand audiology. I think I will definitely look into getting an audiologist in the office one way or another.

1) hearing aids can be a nice practice - Not allowed in New York State

2) Just spoke to a PED ent practice in town with 3 docs. They employ an audiologist pay them a salary and the practice bills for the audiology services. They say thats the way to go.

3) I agree that pt care would be greatly improved if you have on demand audiology. I think I will definitely look into getting an audiologist in the office one way or another.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

We do #2. It works out nicely.