Business in Radiation Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Duck Knows

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't know much about medicine and management, but during my away at Maryland, I met Dr. Mohan Suntha, who perhaps is one of the most successful rad oncs with an MBA, and an incredible role model in the short time I got to work with him. You can look up his CV and his various roles in the Umaryland system on the maryland department website. If you are close by/can shadow/do a rotation, I'm sure he would be a great resource. Another guy in the Midwest who is more a junior faculty is Dr. Jonathan Strauss who is PD at Northwestern. It seems he hasn't broken into management at NW yet but definitely utilizes the skills in various other leadership roles (CRS, other societies).
Regardless, I think the most common route is to be a senior clinician first before going into lower management, then getting an MBA, then becoming senior management (regardless of private/academic/corporate/partner business structure). And either way most of these guys are very successful in their respective clinical spheres first before getting into serious management positions. I have no idea how MD/MBAs plan out their career but I wish you the best of luck.