Business Interships and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mysterious.mr.x

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my junior year at a prominent university. Long story short I'm thinking about internships for next summer (I know, far in advance) possibly at a top tier consulting firm (if I can get a spot, the competition is fierce at my school in particular) or otherwise in the managment of some sort of HMO,Pharma, Med device company etc. but I am worried that when applying to med school its going to come across as if I have nothing on my mind but money and if given the MBA I will skip out on practicing, and join my friends banking in New York. In all honesty I am just very curious about managment and am eager to tackle the types of problems that these companies face especially with regard to ethical cost-saving strategies (ie preventative care.) Does anyone have any thoughts about how to be diplomatic about this? Is say having McKinsey's name on my resume hurting my chances at med-school as opposed to gaining clinical exp. for another summer?

Also I've asked this in the past with little success, but does anyone have any ideas about where to pursue internships targeted towards the MD/MBA?Perhaps some of the older guys have a couple contacts? These do not have to be corporate neccesarily, just stimulating, hands on and (preferably) difficult. Maybe opinions on what you think are the top boutique firms in Healthcare (most people on the career sites can never seem to agree)?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going into my junior year at a prominent university. Long story short I'm thinking about internships for next summer (I know, far in advance) possibly at a top tier consulting firm (if I can get a spot, the competition is fierce at my school in particular) or otherwise in the managment of some sort of HMO,Pharma, Med device company etc. but I am worried that when applying to med school its going to come across as if I have nothing on my mind but money and if given the MBA I will skip out on practicing, and join my friends banking in New York. In all honesty I am just very curious about managment and am eager to tackle the types of problems that these companies face especially with regard to ethical cost-saving strategies (ie preventative care.) Does anyone have any thoughts about how to be diplomatic about this? Is say having McKinsey's name on my resume hurting my chances at med-school as opposed to gaining clinical exp. for another summer?

Also I've asked this in the past with little success, but does anyone have any ideas about where to pursue internships targeted towards the MD/MBA?Perhaps some of the older guys have a couple contacts? These do not have to be corporate neccesarily, just stimulating, hands on and (preferably) difficult. Maybe opinions on what you think are the top boutique firms in Healthcare (most people on the career sites can never seem to agree)?

I actually wanted to give you a proper response until I read the section in bold. So consulting is all about making money huh.

Plus, I think you are confused, you constantly talk make reference to McKinsey but you are afraid that medical school will think you interest like in banking (ibanking I presume). Hate it break it to you, management (strategic) consulting is nothing like investment banking except that the both deal with finance.

So consulting is all about making money huh.

That is precisely my point, its not. I would like to think that anyone willing to put up with the long hours and constant travel wold be doing it more for intellectual stimulation, and a desire to help rather than money.

Plus, I think you are confused, you constantly talk make reference to McKinsey but you are afraid that medical school will think you interest like in banking (ibanking I presume). Hate it break it to you, management (strategic) consulting is nothing like investment banking except that the both deal with finance.

Huh? I dont know where I mentioned I-banking. Also, I only mentioned McKinsey once, and it was somewhat nonchalant. Yes I am very aware that consulting and banking are completely different animals, when did I ever compare the two? I dont know where you get off thinking that I am confused. (Well I am a bit confused now thanks to your post :p) I think it is YOU sir that is the confused one.

And thanks for not answering my question.:rolleyes:

That is precisely my point, its not. I would like to think that anyone willing to put up with the long hours and constant travel wold be doing it more for intellectual stimulation, and a desire to help rather than money.
If you are so proficient in getting this point across on a internet board, what stops you from explaining this in a interview or weaving it into an essay if possible?

Huh? I dont know where I mentioned I-banking. Also, I only mentioned McKinsey once, and it was somewhat nonchalant. Yes I am very aware that consulting and banking are completely different animals, when did I ever compare the two? I dont know where you get off thinking that I am confused. (Well I am a bit confused now thanks to your post :p) I think it is YOU sir that is the confused one.
You expressed interest in a consulting internship and later said you would be worried that people would think you were only interested in banking. Unless you are trying to show the misinformation of the layperson, in which I then misunderstood your writing, it looks like you were confusing consulting and (i)banking.

And thanks for not answering my question.:rolleyes:
Well, good luck to you and your quest to recieve an answer to your question. I'll respectfully bow-out to your all encompassing knowledge and wisdom. I don't want my perpertual confusion to rub off on you.