Business Major for Pre-dent??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EndangeredPasta

what?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am going to be attending Portland State University. It really is not a college anyone has herd of and is not recognized for anything fantastic, but because of money, girlfriend...etc it works out. Though it does have a pretty big school dedicated to business.

Now i just turned in my application and put that I wanted to do a Major in Microbiology and a Minor in Business. Right now I am second thinking this though. Is it really possible to be a pre-dent and do a business major or is this just going to be to many classes i will have to take and to much stress?

The reasons for doing the business major are:

1) It would be a nice change from science science science (but i do love science)
2) It would be helpful when starting my own practice.
3) If i needed a year off to re-apply then I would think it would give me a better chance at getting a job for a while. (money issue again)

Sorry for such the long post..

Members don't see this ad.

It's not a problem. I'm a marketing graduate myself. Just focus on your acing your core science classes and you'll be fine.

I am a finance major and going to dental school this coming year. There are a lot of advantages for being a business major and going to dental school. However, you have to really focus in the science classes and make sure you do well in them. I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. you won't have any difficulty getting accepted to a school with a business major. I definitely wouldn't waste time getting a business minor, because you don't get anything out of it.

However, the most challenging part is determining what specific major you want within business. I went ahead with Finance because i thought it made most sense. If I had to do it again, i would narrow it down to the following 3 majors: Finance, Econ, and Entrepreneurship (if your school offers it)

I've heard of Portland State now, since they upset #7 Gonzaga in college basketball last night. It was their first ever win against a ranked team. So, way to go.

I'm taking a year off before applying and had no problem getting a job with a Science major. But it helped having a few years of research lab experience. But either way you're fine, so good luck.

as doc toothache points out the % of accepted students is practically the same for most majors (although maybe i should have majored in english? 66% acceptances)

rock your core science required classes and do well in your major which interests you and you'll be fine...the only advantage to a science major is for the DAT, but even then if you put in some effort, again you'll be fine

im a business major and MBA

just make sure you science GPA is high (higher than mine) and take more upper level science cources than just Bio 1 and 2, GChem1 and 2, Ochem 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2.

Take BioChem, and some other upperlevel div courses like micro, histo, cell... but def take biochem as it is required by some schools now

So I am going to be attending Portland State University. It really is not a college anyone has herd of and is not recognized for anything fantastic, but because of money, girlfriend...etc it works out. Though it does have a pretty big school dedicated to business.

Now i just turned in my application and put that I wanted to do a Major in Microbiology and a Minor in Business. Right now I am second thinking this though. Is it really possible to be a pre-dent and do a business major or is this just going to be to many classes i will have to take and to much stress?

The reasons for doing the business major are:

1) It would be a nice change from science science science (but i do love science)
2) It would be helpful when starting my own practice.
3) If i needed a year off to re-apply then I would think it would give me a better chance at getting a job for a while. (money issue again)

Sorry for such the long post..

Its good to see other business major's on here. I got my degree in Business Management and now im headed for dental school starting in '09. Im going to give pretty much the same advice as everyone else. Do the best you can in those core classes. Take as many upper level science classes as possible. You will have to take some extra classes, but i think in the end its worth it. Good luck!