Business Major/Pre-Med

chrslbrt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Once I realized that biology is not needed for admission into medical school and the major choice really doesn't affect med school admissions, I am scrambling for a way out of the major choice. I'm considering changing my major to business or psychology before I attend college, BUT I'm having some doubts bout the ability to complete a business degree and all the prereqs in 4 years. From what I've read, you need roughly 30 hrs of prereqs to be eligible for most schools, however there doesn't seem to be any room to squeeze in the classes and still graduate. Here's a sample course schedule for business at UT:

(Chart didn't come out right. Here's a link.) http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/bba/academics/majors/management-information-systems/

Is the only way to graduate in 4 years is take a natural sciences minor and take the classes during summer?
Would that be too stressful and just stretch it out over 4-1/2 or 5 years(McCombs is pretty tough I hear)?
Am I missing something and I actually have enough room to set my schedule right?

If I cant do business, psych has plenty of elective space, so it wouldnt be a problem, but I'd rather do business though. But I like both a hell of a lot better than biology. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just looking at that website it appears that you could get in the med school pre-req's without too much pain. I have a few pre-med friends who are taking the business path, and all but one have been able to finish their degree and the pre-req's without any summer school. Another option, if you are going to be taking 15 hour semesters, is to take something in Summer school. Maybe get some of the basics out of the way after your first year (English, stats, govt, etc), that way you can take your main business classes and pre-req courses in the long semesters. If you decide on summer school, I would strongly encourage you to take some general education classes out of the way, so you have the long semesters to really focus on the important stuff.

I don't know how rigorous business major is wherever you're looking, but I'm doing a double major psych/chem along with the premed prereqs and it hasn't been a problem, so I doubt business major alone with prereqs would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should definitely be able to do it. Check with your adviser to see how to best work in those classes. A business major might really help you, particularly if you want to go into private practice. In retrospect, I wish I had been able to take a couple of business courses.

Once I realized that biology is not needed for admission into medical school and the major choice really doesn't affect med school admissions, I am scrambling for a way out of the major choice. I'm considering changing my major to business or psychology before I attend college, BUT I'm having some doubts bout the ability to complete a business degree and all the prereqs in 4 years. From what I've read, you need roughly 30 hrs of prereqs to be eligible for most schools, however there doesn't seem to be any room to squeeze in the classes and still graduate. Here's a sample course schedule for business at UT:

(Chart didn't come out right. Here's a link.) http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/bba/academics/majors/management-information-systems/

Is the only way to graduate in 4 years is take a natural sciences minor and take the classes during summer?
Would that be too stressful and just stretch it out over 4-1/2 or 5 years(McCombs is pretty tough I hear)?
Am I missing something and I actually have enough room to set my schedule right?

If I cant do business, psych has plenty of elective space, so it wouldnt be a problem, but I'd rather do business though. But I like both a hell of a lot better than biology. Thanks for the help.

I did undergrad in business-finance. You picked a horrible option of Management-Information-Systems as that can be even more intense and demanding than business-finance. The easier business major is marketing, then econ, then finance, then MIS/DIS (management information systems or decision information science). I don't know where accounting fits in because my school had a separate "college of accounting" outside of the business college.

I looked at your webpage and clicked 'Finance' on the left hand side of the screen: http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/bba/academics/majors/finance/

Then I clicked where it says you can choose one of the 5 tracks: http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/dept/finance/undergrad/index.asp#tracks

Your school is pretty awesome to have all those choices and one is to go the "financial analyst track" prepares you to become a CFA easily, without doing all the necessary preparation all on your own. Here is the page where you can contact all the people in the finance department: http://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/dept/finance/staff/index.asp

For More Information
For more information about majoring in Finance or concentrating in Real Estate, contact William J. Way, Lecturer/Undergraduate Faculty Advisor, (512) 471-8169, GSB 5.176F, e-mail: [email protected]
Your school has 6 tracks just in finance alone--even though for you I recommend economics because it is more abstract and more fun and less obsessive over numbers--unless you are a numbers guy like me :p

• GENERAL FINANCE TRACK: This track is for students who do not wish to specialize in any area. However, given market and recruiting demands for specialization within the finance world, it is highly recommended that students select a track offering specialization in a particular area.
    15 hours upper-division coursework in Finance, Real Estate, or Risk Management
    Only one independent study course may be counted toward the General Finance track.
  • CORPORATE FINANCE and INVESTMENT BANKING TRACK: This track prepares students for careers as associates of corporate treasury departments, as financial analysts for corporations or investment banks, and as management consultants. Typical duties would include conducting analysis and providing recommendations on capital investments and financing alternatives; analysis of new marketing and product programs; generation and analysis of division and corporate performance measures; preparation and coordination of annual budgets and financial forecasts; analyzing and reporting on product and customer profitability; and, the analysis of acquisition candidates.
  • ENERGY FINANCE TRACK: This track prepares students for positions in project-financing, valuation, and risk management in the energy sector.
  • INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT TRACK: This track provides students with a background suitable for starting positions as financial analysts with investment funds, investment banks or other financial institutions.
  • FINANCIAL MARKETS/BANKING TRACK: This track prepares students for a variety of financial institution-related careers such as lending officers and financial analysts.
  • REAL ESTATE TRACK: This track provides students with a broad background in valuing and managing real estate. This track is intended to prepare students for positions in real estate commercial brokerage and appraisal, mortgage banking, loan underwriting, real estate development and investment, and property management.
If you select the 'general finance track' you only need 15 hours of upper division classes in your junior and senior year! That leaves you 45 hours left for premed electives and required courses such as Physics 1 & 2 (4 hours each including lab) Biology 1 & 2 (same) Orgo 1 & 2 (same) Chemistry 1 & 2 (same) for a grand total 8 classes @ 4 hours each = 32 hours including the labs. This generously assumes you become premed as a junior at UofTexas. You will want to take all your premed classes before you take your mcat. Shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help you figure this out.:luck:

Last edited: