Business Management Minor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmcatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always hoped to open up my own animal hospital after graduating veterinary school and of course getting experience in someone else's practice first. Is it worth it to get a business minor in undergrad? Will I even remember any of it after so many years outside the classroom? What should I do if I am interested in opening up a practice? I know some vet schools have business certificates, but if I attended a school that does not then I'm not sure how I would get the management and marketing strategies. Thank you so much for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Some vet schools might allow you to pick up a minor or other type of specialization in business if that's something that appeals to you. Ohio State currently has a business minor program vet students can do.

It wouldn't hurt doing some business related coursework in undergrad too. If that's an area you want to study, you'll find a way to get some exposure. You can also do an MBA later on. There are many schools that offer MBA's and open structured courses that you can take in the evenings or online so that you can still be gainfully employed while earning that degree.

I wonder how many vet schools have courses specific to business/professional stuff. I want to say most do in some capacity but I haven't looked at curriculums to confirm. All I know is I have 4 semesters of it. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm between double majoring in biology and neuroscience or majoring in biology and getting a business management minor. Both interest me, I'm just not sure which would actually help me or if at the very least make me stand out to vet schools since my GPA is below where I'd like it to be.

I'm between double majoring in biology and neuroscience or majoring in biology and getting a business management minor. Both interest me, I'm just not sure which would actually help me or if at the very least make me stand out to vet schools since my GPA is below where I'd like it to be.
In my opinion, there's a lot to be argued for both. If you want to focus on running a business after veterinary medicine, I'd think the business management minor + veterinary shadowing and good veterinary LORs would argue your commitment very well to an admissions committee. Neuroscience sounds like a major for someone more focused on research, but if you're more interested in neuroscience at this point, take that major and apply to schools that offer a veterinary degree + business minor. Neuroscience would probably also help a lot with the 1st and 2nd year core classes of physiology and histology.

You say you're GPA is below where you want it to be. How many years of schooling do you have left? If you have 1-2yrs until you apply (sounds like it if you're deciding between these two degree paths), you can definitely raise your GPA before applying to veterinary schools. If GPA is a big concern of yours, you might want to consider which degree path is more likely to help your grades.

I am thinking about getting two minors. One in business management and the other in marketing. As of now, I think I'd like to open my own practice after veterinary school. What do you guys think of a marketing minor?