Business Ownership on CV/Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePursuit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm an MS3 looking for some advice. I started and now own/operate a small business (service industry) that's moderately successful (a couple employees and projected to be making around $75k+/yr by the time I graduate). I feel like this is unique and demonstrates a certain level of character/ingenuity. Over the last two years, it's taken a good deal of effort beyond the normal duties of medical school to learn about and create a business and then ensure profitability as well.

I've been told by some people that this is not really relevant on a CV or personal statement. I'm hoping others out there have some opinion on the matter. Since this is not the next Microsoft or Facebok we're talking about, is it a great bonus point for me that I should focus on, is it a neutral event or a detractor (non-medical business) that I should avoid spending too much time on or addressing at all?

Thank you so much for your candid replies.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a fantastic thing to put in your CV. It's one of those things that if you were the startup guy and conceived and built this thing, I'd 100% want you in an interview. This is the kind of thing that to me throws you way over the otherwise equivalent candidate who spent their whole time in a lab and pumps out 3 1st author papers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I find that really inspirational. To be able to start a side business while in med school must have been great for minimizing the debt incurred from school. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of business did you run?

It's sounds like my initial thoughts were correct. It's worth putting in there and talking about, but it's icing - and I need to make sure I already baked the cake to put it on first.

Thanks again for your replies!